Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louie Knight
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing the second quest and I was wondering once you have shuffled all of the Ringwraiths into the encounter deck can you still choose that option? I assumed you can't and so my threat continued to increase every turn which leads me to my second question, does Bill Ferny stay in the staging area the entire quest? I mean unless you can apply direct damage to him (using Gandalf, etc.). Doesn't seem very thematic to have Bill Ferny in the staging area when I'm fighting The Witch-king on Weathertop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
I would agree with you, that option would go away. But you have to kill Ferney ASAP. Seriously. He must be dead by turn 2. Otherwise you will die at Weathertop. Hail of Apple Cores is key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Leo
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seriously. There's something quite wrong with leaving him in the staging area the whole quest. If you could just optionally engage him, or if he got removed from play at stage 2...basically anything aside from how he is would be wonderful. As it stands he's annoying as all hell, and there are so few ways to kill him efficiently.

What are the options, even? Gandalf and Hail of Stones. Maybe a couple Hands Upon the Bow or Dunhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Craumer
United States
Fulton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it makes the most sense to remove him after Stage 1 and will play the scenario that way. Good idea.

Edit: I lucked out on my second or third play through with Gandalf/sneak attack in my opening hand and didn't enjoy doing it one bit because it wasn't thematic. I sort of pretended that I was using Tom Bombadil instead and it felt a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
distractingflare wrote:
What are the options, even? Gandalf and Hail of Stones. Maybe a couple Hands Upon the Bow or Dunhere.

Hail of Stones is a thematic win. Apples, anyone?

*whack*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Taylor
United States
Moosup
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the new card in The Blood of Gondor adventure pack The Hammer-Stroke count as optionally engaging an enemy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie Knight
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hammer-Stroke would work in bringing Bill out of the staging area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
yeah, there are quite a few options (hammerstroke, son of arnor, hail of stones, knights of minas tirith, hands upon the bow, great yet bow, gandalf, etc.) it's a shame not to deal with him early, because you'll get raped by high threat in the 2nd and 3rd stages of the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
It only adds threat for non ring-bearer heroes, so if you're sending allies and frodo on the quest, you don't gain extra threat.

And in terms of killing him, it takes Gandalf + something else, right? Instead, you could use Gandalf to lower your threat by 5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.