Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I wanted to implement into zpocalypse that fell to the wayside during development was the concept of a campaign mode(at the time it would have required too large of manufacturing investment to implement).

The ability to play chained sessions of the game with the same survivors, ala Hero Quest or Descent 2.0.

At current the core game is capped at 4 days of in game play. There aren't enough resources provided for a campaign mode, unless one introduced a character sheet of some kind to pencil in resources found, and return the physical cards to a discard pile to be recycled.

By day 4, most players should have maxed out melee and firearms, which presents an issue in that additional days, what do your VP get you?

This could be resolved with new skills/abilities that one could purchase as cards, or for beta testing from a printed table, written on survivor record sheet.

No overland map for denoting a geographical movement/objective towards a goal. The game needs more tile locations to really be useable as random encounter areas, adding enough variety so the tiles when rearranged seem like a new location, instead of just the same areas over and over again.

Aftermath adds lite vehicle mechanics and tokens, but I'd love to have more robust vehicle mechanics to a campaign mode.

This is all just ideas atm, and I'm curious what could be implemented with the existing zpocalypse products w/ a few (Print and play additions), and or what would be needed to run an effective, interesting campaign mode where the survivors grow and shrink in power over a prolonged session of play throughs, that is both balanced, but also fun to play(not just a hack and slash dice fest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McEwen
United States
Ottawa Hills
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea. I could think of different things that a campaign might be trying to accomplish. For example, make a secure shelter (a fort), a sustainable food supply (crop land), find a cure, etc. With the tiles from Zmergency and the Aftermath kickstarter you could so some stuff where you have to defend a FEMA camp for a couple days gaining research or something. Similar with the military base and the hospital.

Good stuff to think on.

Thanks,
Duncan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
vadersson wrote:
Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea. I could think of different things that a campaign might be trying to accomplish. For example, make a secure shelter (a fort), a sustainable food supply (crop land), find a cure, etc. With the tiles from Zmergency and the Aftermath kickstarter you could so some stuff where you have to defend a FEMA camp for a couple days gaining research or something. Similar with the military base and the hospital.

Good stuff to think on.

Thanks,
Duncan

We actually had garden plots in the original game, but scrapped them as they didn't make much sense over a 4 day period.

With the inclusion of zmergency and aftermath you could theoretically daisy chain those location sets as additional days of play for a quasi campaign game.

aka play 4 days via the core game, and then proceed to zmergency for possibly another 4 days(reusing some zpoc core tiles), and military for yet another 4 days, due to the additional tile sets.

Maybe create a variable difficulty for the zombies based on the core day x zombie difficulty, wherein each night you fight, you roll a d6.
1 = day 1 rules
2-3 = day 2 rules
4-5 = day 3 rules
6 = day 4 rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, the difficulty should continue to ramp up. I'd simply suggest Using Day4 + DayX for number of zombies, and then Day 4 movement and going first.

So Day 5 is Day 4 + Day 1 # of zombies. Day 8 is Day4 + Day4 # of zombies.

That should keep it fairly easy to keep track of, and keep the zombies ramping up.

As for skill levels/VP, that's a bit trickier.

You could make some charts for special Melee/Ranged skills, and an increased skill tracker, I suppose.

Alternately, give each player some new tokens and you could track additional skill points on the VP chart. This could be divided amongst two tokens (melee/ranged). Alternately, it could simply be a single "skill bonus". Players can use the points on the tracker for certain things. Make a chart of options. Perhaps use X points in lieu of a scrap. Or X points to reroll one die. Or X points to add a die to a roll. Etc. Just some quick thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.