Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I can't decide which of these 3 games I want to order. Can you give me a little help here based on my actual collection or simply on you personal choice and preferences.

Concerning Legends Of Andor, is this game a kind of Lords of Waterdeep?

Concerning Merchant Of Venus, of course I would go for the second edition. I fear I will dislike the roll & move aspect of this game, thats what really bother me the most, is this game feel really oldschool? Thats what I fear.

Honestly, Airlines Europe would be my first pick here. I'm a huge fan of Ticket To Ride and I like this kind of gateway games.

What would be your pick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neverlooz wrote:
Hi everyone,

Concerning Legends Of Andor, is this game a kind of Lords of Waterdeep?

No. From watching it, it is more of a dungeon-crawler with Euro elements. Think Descent without the modular board. Whether you should buy it I don't know. It's on my wishlist, but not in the must haves. Since Euro Airlines is your first pick, I'd say go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the mentioned I've played Airlines Europe only, but it is not like Ticket to Ride. Yes, they have some visual things in common, but Airlines feels more like Acquire. But it's definitely a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's not like ticket to ride but it's the same designer and as I like t2r a lot, I think I'll probably love this one too.

Do you consider this one lighter than ticket to ride?

Are you aware of why no other maps never been released for this game, like Airlines America, Airlines India or whatever, since t2r have a lot of expansions...is it because Airlines is not a popular succes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Petrison
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
I've only played Airlines: Europe, but be warned, the game isn't a very good gateway and is very different from Ticket To Ride.

Granted, what you can do on a turn is very easy to learn, and it's fairly fun while playing it, but new players are going to have a difficult time trying to figure out what they are supposed to be doing. The goal of the game is to have the greatest diversity of stocks of airlines, while having *slightly* more stocks of the most valuable airlines over your competitors. New players think that they are supposed to get as many of one color of airline as they can, but in reality, you get just as many points for having one more stock of an airline as you would 10 more stocks of an airline than a competitor.

I think it's a good game, but it's the type of game where a new player won't really understand the goal of the game until they've played it a few times, and yet the game is simple enough that some players will get bored with it after a couple of plays.

It lacks that natural goals and competition of Ticket To Ride. Airlines Europe is a well designed game, but I don't think gamer groups wind up liking it very much. Even though Ticket To Ride is much simpler, it gets requested much more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe is actually a little heavier than Ticket to Ride. It adds an economic game to the route selection. I think one reason there aren't map expansions is because the airline stock aspect is more the game than just the map and a new map would not change the game that much. Plus it's more of a "next step" game than a gateway game, and as such it probably gets less traction among casual gamers.

The other 2 games are firmly gamers' games and not really comparable at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidernst11 wrote:
I've only played Airlines: Europe, but be warned, the game isn't a very good gateway and is very different from Ticket To Ride.

Granted, what you can do on a turn is very easy to learn, and it's fairly fun while playing it, but new players are going to have a difficult time trying to figure out what they are supposed to be doing. The goal of the game is to have the greatest diversity of stocks of airlines, while having *slightly* more stocks of the most valuable airlines over your competitors. New players think that they are supposed to get as many of one color of airline as they can, but in reality, you get just as many points for having one more stock of an airline as you would 10 more stocks of an airline than a competitor.

I think it's a good game, but it's the type of game where a new player won't really understand the goal of the game until they've played it a few times, and yet the game is simple enough that some players will get bored with it after a couple of plays.

It lacks that natural goals and competition of Ticket To Ride. Airlines Europe is a well designed game, but I don't think gamer groups wind up liking it very much. Even though Ticket To Ride is much simpler, it gets requested much more.

The players I know do not get bored with it and the gamer groups I know like it quite a bit and continue to play it. Great gamne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gagnon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Airlines Europe is actually a little heavier than Ticket to Ride. It adds an economic game to the route selection. I think one reason there aren't map expansions is because the airline stock aspect is more the game than just the map and a new map would not change the game that much. Plus it's more of a "next step" game than a gateway game, and as such it probably gets less traction among casual gamers.

The other 2 games are firmly gamers' games and not really comparable at all.

Thanks for the answer. I know Andor and Merchant Of Venus cant be compare and I know they are less casual then Airlines but i'm not necessarily looking for a gateway game, there is a lot of hardcore game I like and some I own. But I have no problem to play gateway, i'm not that kind of gamer that can't look behind, I still love Carcassonne even if I can play AGoT or RfTG. The thing is I have the budget to buy only one of those 3 games and I want them all...so I have to make a hard choice.

I made it by the way, I just order Airlines, couples of hours ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've playerd Venus and Airlines and both are very good games. I think if you were to take ticket to ride and make an associated "leap"(not counting that 2 of them are moon's) then I think Merchant of Venus is more in common with ticket to ride's essence than airlines europe; if that makes any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.