BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: Retired gray wolves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
A while ago I pretty much stopped playing most WW games because I found it interfered with the attention I could give my job. I still hang around the Village Square though because this has become my default social network.

Since I don't log into Cassie much I don't see who the players are in Cassie, and so I had just kind of assumed that everyone else in the forums was still active. But recently I've been seeing some posts from people implying that they have made a similar withdrawal. I thought I'd get a handle on that.

So who else is now here mostly for the Village Square conversations with not much game-playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty much me. Playing a WW game requires more attention than I can give most of the time, given work constraints. Like you, The Village Square (and, to a lesser extent, BGG generally) has become my main social network and is the first and primary stop on the Internet. (possibly excepting Gmail)

That said, I still try to play a few games a year, and mod a few more. I do want to at least have one or two Everyone's Special games annually, and maybe Nethack too if there's interest. I also set aside time to be on the Wolfy nomination committee.

Typically, the few games I play are big event games (Massacre, Game X where X mod 500 = 0, etc) and can't-miss non-standard games. (Doom, BSG, Champions, MOO, pretty much anything by Bwt2q)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also taken on the role of frequent Village Square contributor, but infrequent WW game player. I try to get in an occasional WW game, but those are often spaced many months apart.

Still, I can't see detaching myself from the community as all y'all are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was offline game-wise for about 4 months this summer. I'm currently in Ironman, but I don't really look for new games to sign up for other than some non-WW ones like Paranoia and Amazing Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently this is me, but in the future I'd like to spend more time involved with running games in particular, playing some, and much less time, if any, in the Village Square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I still play actively, I do have the same feeling that the Village Square is my main social network at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
I was offline game-wise for about 4 months this summer. I'm currently in Ironman, but I don't really look for new games to sign up for other than some non-WW ones like Paranoia and Amazing Race.

Would you and/or Dbmurph (or anyone else for that matter) be interested in a Nethack sequel?

I'm concerned that many of the people who played the first two Nethacks fall into this "semi-retirement" camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Ziilch wrote:

Would you and/or Dbmurph (or anyone else for that matter) be interested in a Nethack sequel?

I'm concerned that many of the people who played the first two Nethacks fall into this "semi-retirement" camp.

I was signed up for it when it went into signup last time. I would assume I would be interested. Is it non-WW? I thought it was just a really complicated WW game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Ziilch wrote:

I liked, not loved, Nethack, and it was fun. I would play again when I get involved with playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
Ziilch wrote:

I was signed up for it when it went into signup last time. I would assume I would be interested. Is it non-WW? I thought it was just a really complicated WW game.

It's been nominated in the "Non-Traditional" category, which we've defined as something that couldn't be reasonably be played face-to-face.

Non-WW is defined as something that doesn't have a standard Day/Night lynch/night-kill cycle. Nethack does have lynches and nightkills, though both can be subverted in a variety of ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
Ziilch wrote:

I liked, not loved, Nethack, but it was fun. I would play again when I get involved with playing again.

I do expect the third installment to be better than the first two, as I have some significant changes planned to increase the fun factor. Easier identification, a better combat system, and an Aux that starts with a "Wand of the Sorcerer".

But this isn't the Nethack thread, so I won't railroad it any more than I already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By comparison to other sites it seems our Werewolf community is comprised by more "responsible adults" than other communities. Thirty-ish family people is more common with gradients extending from there. As it naturally follows many former players are falling under the category of this thread title, given that lifestyle. This is partially conjecture.

I could make a fairly decent guess that as boardgaming continues to get a little more attention and BGG appeals to video game people more and more and that the above demo continues to play less games...that our actual playing demo will become something closer to the twoplustwo site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come back and play occasionally you guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is starting to happen to me. My recent position change at work has left me with much less time. I'm still hoping to get into a game here and there but it definitely won't be what it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm largely in and out of WW, about to be out again. I'm finding it less and less pleasant to play on the whole, though obviously some games are great. I don't know if it's the tenor of the community or my own sensitivity to such things that's changed, but I find playing online more and more of a hostile, aggressive experience here as time goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play much anymore either.
I assumed that was a relief to most people.
There is the lack of time, but also, I'm somewhat intimidated by all the people who I don't know, or who I can't tell apart from other new people. You know how back in the day of the phone line connections a picture would start to download and it would look all fuzzy at first and slowly get clearer and clearer until you could make out who or what the picture was? I think that's a good metaphor for how you get to know people when you play with them. They become more complete as you go. So I've got too many people that I'm just very fuzzy on and it makes me reluctant to play. I don't know when I started to need a personal connection to interest me in playing. I don't remember caring about it when I started.
I tend to play when someone geek mails me and says "Hey, I'm playing this game, come play with me," and I'm like, "Ohh! I haven't played with Sparky in forever. Yeah, OK. I'll play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... with theme and wacky mechanics.

I'm not really in this for straight WW but rather for the crazy.

I think I might've gone a couple months without an active game?

Maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've slowed down on the playing but have enjoyed modding more recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StatSig wrote:
I'm largely in and out of WW, about to be out again. I'm finding it less and less pleasant to play on the whole, though obviously some games are great. I don't know if it's the tenor of the community or my own sensitivity to such things that's changed, but I find playing online more and more of a hostile, aggressive experience here as time goes on.

Yeah, I have a list of people I find difficult to play with because of their hostility. Seeing them on the sign up list is an automatic "eh, maybe next time" On the other hand I have a list of people I always want to play with. I hope they never figure out I'm stalking them. Lots of people elevate the game, IMHO.
kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
Yeah, I have a list of people I find difficult to play with because of their hostility. Seeing them on the sign up list is an automatic "eh, maybe next time"

Valkerie32 wrote:
That should work. It's not like you ever piss anyone off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
Valkerie32 wrote:
Yeah, I have a list of people I find difficult to play with because of their hostility. Seeing them on the sign up list is an automatic "eh, maybe next time"

Valkerie32 wrote:
That should work. It's not like you ever piss anyone off.

laugh what I love about you, murph, is that you piss other people off, not me. You are not on my "avoid" list, so turn that frown upside-down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here for the love.

Not the lynching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'm sort of on the semi-retired list as well. Fewer games catch my eye recently, but when I have a stretch of spare time, I try to hop in something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
I've slowed down on the playing but have enjoyed modding more recently.
I've been trying to do this, but people keep putting up cool games.
I blame them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.