navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn that I read instructions from the rule book to only have the current adventure packs cards added to the base cards. So, for instance after Burnt Offerings you'd remove any AP1 stragglers not part of someone's character deck, put them back in their box, and then add in AP2s cards.

That would explain the storage available for the packs in the box itself, but it seemed strange to have the enormous slots for each particular deck. Having gone back through I just can't find that in the book so now I'm assuming it was a drug induced hallucination. The only thing I see about integrating the adventure packs is wholly additive: When you start a new one, it tells you to add the cards to those in the box.

That makes sense, and I'd hope this was the case to get as much use out of these fairly expensive add-ons as possible, but then I wonder at the need for that huge, though pretty nifty, use of space for the AP boxes themselves.

Where's my error? Assuming we fork out the $100+ for all the adventure packs, do we end up with big fat decks of monsters and such in the box itself and a bunch of empty adventure packs in the tray, or, the opposite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
navajas wrote:
I could have sworn that I read instructions from the rule book to only have the current adventure packs cards added to the base cards. So, for instance after Burnt Offerings you'd remove any AP1 stragglers not part of someone's character deck, put them back in their box, and then add in AP2s cards.

That would explain the storage available for the packs in the box itself, but it seemed strange to have the enormous slots for each particular deck. Having gone back through I just can't find that in the book so now I'm assuming it was a drug induced hallucination. The only thing I see about integrating the adventure packs is wholly additive: When you start a new one, it tells you to add the cards to those in the box.

That makes sense, and I'd hope this was the case to get as much use out of these fairly expensive add-ons as possible, but then I wonder at the need for that huge, though pretty nifty, use of space for the AP boxes themselves.

Where's my error? Assuming we fork out the $100+ for all the adventure packs, do we end up with big fat decks of monsters and such in the box itself and a bunch of empty adventure packs in the tray, or, the opposite?

Neither. If you check the actual Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path card:

When you start #3 (Hook Mountain Massacre) and onwards, any time you would banish a bane with the basic trait, remove it from the game instead. When you banish a boon with the Basic trait, you may optionally remove it from the game as well.

When you start #4 and onwards, you will do the same thing with all banes/boons with the Elite trait as well.

Removed from game means to take it out of the slots in the box so that it has no chance of ever reappearing during the adventure path. Mike Selinker suggests using the expansion boxes to store the "removed from game" cards in - store the base set/character expansion cards in the Character Expansion box, store the "1" cards in the burnt offerings box, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that starting with AP3 you start putting the base and elite cards back in the AP box and don't use the from then on. Maybe they do that later on as well and have you remove AP1 cards from the game and put them back in their little box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you start over you need to clear out all the AP cards.
I do think it'd be better with dividers or something instead of keeping all the boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I wasn't clear. I get the removal of cards thing, so the big fat stacks question was misleading. My basic question is, when beginning a new adventure pack, we leave what's IN the decks already, and just add the new ones in, until they are "organically" removed via the system, yes?

I hadn't put together using the pack boxes as storage for removed cards this way. That must be the intent and where their allowance for the insert comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Ok, I wasn't clear. I get the removal of cards thing, so the big fat stacks question was misleading. My basic question is, when beginning a new adventure pack, we leave what's IN the decks already, and just add the new ones in, until they are "organically" removed via the system, yes?

I hadn't put together using the pack boxes as storage for removed cards this way. That must be the intent and where their allowance for the insert comes from.

Correct. Add the Burnt Offerings cards but keep the base game cards. When you get the second adventure deck add it in when you start that adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - you have the right idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I do get how it is supposed to be, but I think it's not practical... It means that I either can only play one Adventure Path at a time or or have to write down not only my character decks (what I already thought of), but also all cards I have removed from the game for that Adventure Path... A lot of bookkeeping, isn't it?

Also: If I later (e.g. after all adventure decks for RotRL are out) start a new Adventure Path, should I remove the cards of the other five adventure packs, so that I can't encounter them? and shuffle them back in, if I want to continue my solo path or a path I'm running with other friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.