Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://youtu.be/pePKm7pCSig

Also, in case you missed the audio news for today, here it is!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/dicetowernews/DTN157-DiceTowerNews...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tom, on working out a fair way of choosing a random person from a list of ten using two d6. Unfortunately you slipped up at the final hurdle.

(For those who didn't see this bit of the video, the method was to roll one d6 to determine which half of the list the winner was in and another d6 to choose amongst the five in that half, with a 6 on the second roll being re-rolled.)

You really needed to have decided in advance how you would deal with the situation where the main winner ($500) is a duplicate of the second place ($100). The right way would be to roll both dice again (and again and again if necessary), giving each of the remaining 9 names a 1/9 chance of winning.

The wrong way would be keep re-rolling only the second die until getting a different result. This gives the four people in the same group as the 'second place' name a 1/8 chance of winning (1/2 x 1/4) and the five people in the other group a 1/10 chance of winning (1/2 x 1/5).

This is not such a big deal as to invalidate the two winners you chose, but it does show how carefully you need to think through all the possibilities in advance to ensure absolute fairness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or you know, invest in a D10. . . =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did decide in advance how I would do it. Sure, on the second roll, the people in the top half had an advantage (slight), but that's how the first roll affected everything.

From now on, I will do all this behind the scenes, because the amount of people complaining about it is legendary. The fact that people had a minuscule smaller percentage of winning something they GOT FOR FREE - and that this bothers people who aren't even involved astounds me. You guys are sucking all the fun out of this. We did it for fun, that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
TomVasel wrote:
The fact that people had a minuscule smaller percentage of winning something they GOT FOR FREE - and that this bothers people who aren't even involved astounds me. You guys are sucking all the fun out of this.

It's what (self-proclaimed) geeks do. We obsess over the details, and correct others to help ensure we feel superior. It's the intellectual equivalent of a wedgie or swirlie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.