BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to play with my girlfriend! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boris Danielsen
Norway
flag msg tools
Hi!
I'm new here and I wanted to see if I could get some recommendations.
Me and my girlfrien have been thinking for a long time to get a card game or board game that we could play together. It would have to be a game that is designed for two players, not to hard to learn (we are both new in this). If it additionally have the prospect of being a game that could be played with others it would be a plus.
I've been looking into The Lord Of The Rings The Card Game and Star Wars The Card Game, since we both like those movies/books. And I've been also considering Magic.
Any help and suggestions are apreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit difficult to question without some more information. What is your gaming experience, and what do you like and not like?

Here are three preliminary recommendations.

Dominion
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Welcome to BGG and board gaming!

Some great, easy to learn games specifically designed for 2 players that are still easy to find:

Jaipur
Mr. Jack
Lost Cities

I've had very good luck with Citadels as a two player game that can play many more.

Then there are all the major gateway games, most of which will play well with two. These are slightly larger than all the games above, but include:

Dominion
Ticket to Ride (which isn't amazing with 2, but is decent. The Nordic Countries board is designed for 2-3 players, but that limits having more people
Carcassonne

If you want the fighting each other feel of Magic, but don't want the money sink, then Summoner Wars: Master Set is a great choice. The Master Set has six factions, but if you don't want to jump in head first, then any of the 2-faction boxes will be a great introduction.

If you're looking for a co-op experience rather than direct confrontation, then I would suggest either Pandemic or Ghost Stories. Both are great co-op games for 1-4 (and each has an expansion that plays a 5th).

That should give you a good idea of places to start looking.

The last bit of advice would be if you have a game store in your area to go there and see if they have demo copies of anything available for you to try out and see what type of game fits the two of you best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like fantasy theme, Small World is great game with high replayability, which scales well. You can play it with 2-5 players, the game's easy to learn and will give you lots of fun for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheClansman666 wrote:
I've been looking into The Lord Of The Rings The Card Game and Star Wars The Card Game, since we both like those movies/books. And I've been also considering Magic.

The Lord of the Rings LCG is a great game. It is cooperative, so you will be playing together.

However, the base set is not nearly enough to really play the game. You will need a number of the smaller expansions to fill it out over time.

Also, it is quite difficult. Therefore, it might not be the perfect game at this time.

The Star Wars LCG is mostly a 2-player game (competitive, one player playing the light side and the other the dark side). It is a bit more beginner friendly, but also requires expansions from time to time.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Automator Threetousand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'll second the Carcassonne recommendation. That one gets more plays than just about anything else between me and my girlfriend. It's very easy to learn, but even with two players there are loads of ways to devise your win. It's really quick to play - something we can play a quick round of while waiting for dinner to cook. And even better, it's incredibly portable. We recently took a vacation and put all the pieces into some zip lock baggies; the whole game fit inside a quart-sized zip lock. Then we played it in restaurants and bars, even played it on a blanket at a campfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Osborne
Canada
flag msg tools
To give my two cents (well a nickel in Canada ).

You are playing a game with your girlfriend. I would definitely consider a cooperative game (you play on the same side against the game): Pandemic and Ghost Stories were suggested above.

If you really want a game where you and her compete, I would second the recommendation above of Smallworld. A simple game, that is easy to play and doesn't take very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a great choice as a 2 player game. If you do get it, get the expansion Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – More Buildings Big and Small with it, as it will greatly increase re-playability and open up many new strategies. Agricola is a great game that can be played by more than 2, but can be a bit much for people newer to the hobby.

Innovation is also a great 2 player game, but can be played by more. There are some pretty drastic swings in this game, but that is part of the fun. You really need to embrace the chaos with this one.

Battle Line, Jaipur, and Lost Cities are all really great 2 player games, that are easy to learn, quick to play, and have good amount of strategy. All are also very well priced.

Welcome to the hobby. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Danielsen
Norway
flag msg tools
destro wrote:
This is a bit difficult to question without some more information. What is your gaming experience, and what do you like and not like?

Dominion
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne

Thanks all for all the reccomendations! To answer your question:
I barely have any experience whatsoever in this actually. LoL
Therefore not sure in what we like or not actually. It would be nice to have a game that has a theme we know and like (therefore Star Wars or LOTR). We don't have anything against complementing and adding expansions over time, as long as we don't need to buy it after playing the game one or two times. If we can buy an expension or two every 3-4 months it's ok.
We want something that can last us for a while and that we can eventually play with other people.
Not sure what more to say since we're quite new into this.
Again: Thanks everyone for all your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheClansman666 wrote:
destro wrote:

Dominion
Lords of Waterdeep
Carcassonne

Thanks all for all the reccomendations! To answer your question:
I barely have any experience whatsoever in this actually. LoL
Therefore not sure in what we like or not actually. It would be nice to have a game that has a theme we know and like (therefore Star Wars or LOTR). We don't have anything against complementing and adding expansions over time, as long as we don't need to buy it after playing the game one or two times. If we can buy an expension or two every 3-4 months it's ok.
We want something that can last us for a while and that we can eventually play with other people.
Not sure what more to say since we're quite new into this.
Again: Thanks everyone for all your answers!

You will probably want to avoid the LCGs for now, then. Come back to them when you have a better idea of what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she hasn't done a lot of gaming but you have, from my personal experience with my wife, start off with simpler cooperative games like Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Flash Point Fire Rescue before you try to play anything overly competitive. Because if you play competitively before she gets into gaming, and she isn't too into the game because of your overall experience level, she will get frustrated and shut off.

Agricola is a bland game to get into without 3-5 players.

If you are big Star Wars fans, I'd look into getting the X-Wing Miniatures game and some expansion ships...that is, if you can find it in stock. It's a fairly simple, competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.. I, for one, think Star Wars LCG is outstanding and you can get a lot of game-play out of just the core set.
LoTR is also good, but I find expansions more necessary here, with a lot more attention being spent on deck-building.

They're not considered great beginner options, but if you're (both) patient and invested, why shouldn't you be able to learn, play and enjoy them?

X-wing Miniatures is another great Star Wars-themed game. The core set is limited, but still very fun.

Certainly, there are a gazillion "gateway" games to become better acclimated with the hobby, and several have already been mentioned (Pandemic, Dominion, Carcassonne, etc.), but if you want Star Wars or LoTR, I say get Star Wars and/or LoTR! Dedicate an hour or two to reading the rules, watching tutorials, playing some learning-games and have a good time with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a nice little game for two or more that I'd recommend: The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet

Also, but especially for 4 players: Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Lord of the Rings, I strongly recommend Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. It's a great game that's made for 2 players, and is a lot of fun. Doesn't play more than 2 however.

For Star Wars, probably your best bet right now is Star Wars: X-Wing. It's basically a star-fighter battle in space that uses templates to move the ships. You also have the option of buying more fighters, or playing with multiple players if you purchase more ships.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spring Line
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic if you want cooperative with some depth.
Carcassone is one of our most frequent plays - no fighting but building and a super intro to euro games. Game time less than an hr.
Ticket to Ride is a race to build rail routes. Super fon and pretty game.
Sleeping Queens - Cheap, silly card game I play with daughters and wife - fun and fast
All will keep your attention even when not your turn so are engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheClansman666 wrote:
I've been looking into The Lord Of The Rings The Card Game and Star Wars The Card Game, since we both like those movies/books.

I would council avoiding both of the above; both are middling at best in gameplay terms, intended to suck money from you for expansions, and doomed to become obsolete in a few years' time when the franchise expires (just like all previous LotR/SW card games). If you really want a card game, Netrunner is at least interesting to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
The biggest hits with my girlfriend, so far, have been Dominion, Settlers of Catan, Letters from Whitechapel and Lords of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Van Der Wildt
Belgium
Turnhout
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Through the years we have built ourselves a whole collection of games, that we will also start playing with our kids.

Some of the following games have already been proposed by fellow Geeks, but these are the classics after an 11-year relationship:

Ticket to Ride (with lots of expansions)
Carcassonne (expansions ...)
Catan (although this is best played with minimum 3 players, and lots of expansions)
Stone Age
Thebes

Hopefully you and your girlfriend find some games that please you, and your friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you could make a cheap and easy start with fantasy theme with Dragonheart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
you could make a cheap and easy start with fantasy theme with Dragonheart

If you are completely new to the hobby, I think this is an excellent recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Seasons it is best with two players, easy to learn but has a lot of depth, replay value, and the art and components are stellar.

Also look into:

Relic
Ninjato
Takenoko
Garden Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Citizen Andrew
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
Haven't played dragon heart

I agree with Pandemic. You are working together which is a big plus and goes over better than any other game when we introducing it to non-gamer friends.

I wish Carcassonne was a hit with my GF. I was completely enamored and (still) would like it to be my go to 2p game. It was a flop with my GF though. I thought it was because we tried to play when she was tired (never a good idea) and had made her mind up to never give it a fair chance. Turns out it is too drab and visually unappealing.

So I recently bought Small World, seems to be faring well so far. She loves the way it looks and picked up the rules right away (I never even got to explaining Carcs farmer scoring). It is adversarial by nature. We'll see if it comes close to filling that Carc hole.

Ticket to ride Europe is our first game. She likes Ticket to Ride and plays it on iOS. Cant say I'm much of a fan with two (definitely consider taking out the long destination tickets) but she's happy to play. However, we both prefer playing the India map from Map Collection 2. It is a visually appealing map, very tight, and plays great with two, your opponent is sure to make you adapt your plans and going for the mandala bonus telegraphs your routes and leads to some interesting decisions. And 58 tickets means there is lots of variety.

I can't speak highly enough of India for 2 player TTR and hey it comes with Switzerland map on the back for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the games that got me into this and I still gladly play are:
Carcassonne-after all this time still love to play it.
Monopoly Deal Card Game-don't be afraid of the monolopoly there, it's SO much better, it's great with 2 and pretty good with more. The theme can actually help a better transition (even though the mechanics are very different). Our go-to little game. And it's cheap and portable.

There are others:
Lost Cities/Keltis: Das Kartenspiel - I don't love it but my gf does. Lost Cities is very renown. Keltis(the card game) allows for more than 2. They are very similar.

All of this work well with 2 and are easy to learn. All but Lost Cities allows for more people.

EDIT: Just to say +10 on Dragonheart, it's just for 2 but it's very easy to learn and plays very quickly. I got it recently and don't regret it at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two my wife has been enjoying lately:

Seasons
Dungeon Twister

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.