Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I read the answer to this some time ago, but I can't recall what it was for the life of me.

I was wondering what the purpose of the extra dice pack is. I've seen it in stores but can't quite make out if it has anything new in it. Is it just extra dice from the base game? If so, am I missing something in the rules as to why I'd want that? What is the purpose? I actually own this game now and I can't figure out why I'd want more dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An attacking ship rolls an extra die against the enemy he attacks when firing at range 1. A defending ship rolls an extra defence die when defending at range 3.

In both instances, it is sometimes necessary to roll 4 dice of a given type. Since the game only comes with 3 dice of each type, some players want to buy an extra dice pack to be able to roll 4 dice at once, instead of 3 first and then a 4th.

Most player acquire extra dice through the purchase of one or more additional core sets, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
I was wondering what the purpose of the extra dice pack is. I've seen it in stores but can't quite make out if it has anything new in it. Is it just extra dice from the base game? If so, am I missing something in the rules as to why I'd want that? What is the purpose? I actually own this game now and I can't figure out why I'd want more dice.

Because firing at a target at range 1 gets you one bonus attack dice, and defending from fire at range 3 gets you one bonus defense dice.

As an X-Wing has a base '3' attack, he needs 4 dice for range 1, and as a TIE Fighter has a base '3' defense, he needs 4 dice at range 3.

That's a pretty common situation from the core game where you need more than 3 of one of the dice types. Then you get modifiers that add even more dice (Jan Ors provides +1 attack dice to friendlies nearby; 'stealth device' provides +1 defense dice until hit, etc) and you get up to 5 (or sometimes even 6) dice needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, alternatively, if you are providing components for your gaming group/family, etc., this would allow multiple players to each have their own set of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 12 of each die, and I love it that way. If I'm playing 2 player at home, each player gets their own set of 6. If I'm out and about, there's plenty. I can have setup new players and friends who didn't bring their kit with a full kit (dice, movement templates, ships, etc) to play in a tournament.

As far as game mechanics, I can think of a current scenario where you need 6 defense dice: Tie with Stealth Device, Range 3 behind an asteroid. A soon to be real scenario for 6 attack dice: Range 1, X-Wing, Opportunist, Jan Ors. In the base game you can get up to 5 defense dice: TIE at range 3, behind an asteroid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I guess I'm just so used to re-rolling in games that require rolling more dice than come in the box that it didn't cross my mind to buy more dice sets.

Maybe I will buy one set extra...I don't have any need to give every player their own set...we can just pass them around. Six of each die will more than suffice for every current situation, as you explain perfectly above!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you include expansions, you can require up to 6 attack dice (Advanced Proton Torpedoes + Jan Ors nearby) and up to 6 defense dice (a TIE Fighter or Interceptor with Stealth Device defending against a primary weapon at Range 3 through an obstacle).

If you want more than 3 attack dice and 3 defense dice, I'd highly recommend getting a second core set, as it gives you another X-wing, two TIE Figthers, another set of maneuver templates, another range ruler, another damage deck, and lots more tokens and cards, and it isn't that much more expansive than a dice pack.

*ninja'd*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Maybe I will buy one set extra...I don't have any need to give every player their own set...we can just pass them around. Six of each die will more than suffice for every current situation, as you explain perfectly above!

Seriously, though - another core set is the way to go, vs the dice packs.

It's the cheapest way to get another X-Wing and two TIE Fighters, which are the bread-and-butter of most squads in the game...and then you get the extra dice on top of it. As well as additional range rulers (handy for each player to have their own), and then an additional damage deck (tournament rules have each player use their own damage deck rather than sharing one - not strictly necessary for friendly play, but it does help balance out some of the worse crits).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent $9 on extra dice pack because I didn't want to spend $40 on another core set. But now I regret buying those dice because I've seen core boxes go on sale for $20.

An added bonus of buying a 2nd core box is that you can cut off one of the measuring template so that you have a specific 1 range, and 2 range. It's way easier to measure range when you can drop a 1 range between 2 close up ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate sharing dice and prefer that both sides simply have enough attack and defense dice to play (i.e. so at least 8 of both kinds). I had 2 Core Sets and still bought a Dice Pack. Then I bought a 3rd Core Set and realized I had too many dice...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just griped about this last week on another thread (my only gripe really about the game) - how you regularly have to roll four dice, but there's only three in the box... but you can buy six more for 8 bucks! So that's why there's a "dice expansion" because they shorted you two in the core set. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, they just (rightfully) assumed you'd buy 2 core sets

But even with 2 cores, that's not enough to let both sides have their own set...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, with both Jan Orz and Expose existing, I find that even with one core and one dice expansion sometimes we're short on one attack dice. Haven't found a way to get 6 defense dice yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
Rithrin wrote:
Haven't found a way to get 6 defense dice yet.

Long since -- TIE + shot at long range + through asteroid + Stealth. Love rolling those 6 green dice ^,^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.