Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifications on rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Mandatory Withdrawals:

Scenario 1
An attacker wins an attack that has 3 defenders in the position. Would all 3 blocks have to withdrawal?
We played it as they all had to withdrawal.

Control of an objective:

Scenario 1
If a Confederate block moves to a position that asserts a FoF on an objective does the objective become Confederate controlled? Even if he didn’t move through it and/or won an attack at that position as stated in section 20?

Scenario 2
If a Confederate block wins an attack at a position that asserts a FoF on an objective, but a Union block in an opposite and/or adjacent position asserts a FoF to the same objective. Who controls the objective?

Artillery:

If I had 3 blocks in the same position and all 3 are involved in the attack. Can I use 3 tokens for that attack or is it limited to two per position?
When on defense you are limited to a max of two artillery tokens per position correct?

F of F

If a block’s front area is obstructed i.e. no F of F. Can an enemy block move through its front area as though the block wasn’t there?

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
Tvaryen wrote:
Mandatory Withdrawals: An attacker wins an attack that has 3 defenders in the position. Would all 3 blocks have to withdrawal? We played it as they all had to withdrawal.

Yes. So would any other blocks adjacent to the winning block(s)- whether they participated in any defense or not.

Tvaryen wrote:
Control of an objective #1: If a Confederate block moves to a position that asserts a FoF on an objective does the objective become Confederate controlled? Even if he didn’t move through it and/or won an attack at that position as stated in section 20?

It remains under Union control (ie, blue)- but the Union has lost "full control" of the objective.

For the victory conditions, it's "full control" that's important, and not the color. For the Union to maintain "full control" of an Objective: it must be blue; AND, it must not be in a CSA FoF; AND, the union must have a communications-path from the objective to a friendly reinforcement area (a path that doesn't cross an area in an enemy FoF, nor an enemy-occupied position).

This important distinction of "taking control" vs having "full control" is confusing in the rules.

Tvaryen wrote:
Control of an objective #2: If a Confederate block wins an attack at a position that asserts a FoF on an objective, but a Union block in an opposite and/or adjacent position asserts a FoF to the same objective. Who controls the objective?

See above.

The Union controls the objective: the CSA doesn't "take control" of the objective (turning it red), unless it moves through that area with a March or Reinforcement move, or, a winning Attack move.

However, because of the CSA FoF, the union has lost "full control", and that's what really matters.

Tvaryen wrote:
Artillery: If I had 3 blocks in the same position and all 3 are involved in the attack. Can I use 3 tokens for that attack or is it limited to two per position?

Yes. Subject to artillery matching requirements, you can use any number of tokens in each position- and, sum their strengths, to a maximum of +3. (So 3 is a practical maximum for each position.)

Tvaryen wrote:
Artillery: When on defense you are limited to a max of two artillery tokens per position correct?

Yes.

Tvaryen wrote:
F of F: If a block’s front area is obstructed i.e. no F of F. Can an enemy block move through its front area as though the block wasn’t there?

Yes, as long as it doesn't enter a position adjacent to that block.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tvaryen wrote:
F of F

If a block’s front area is obstructed i.e. no F of F. Can an enemy block move through its front area as though the block wasn’t there?

Thanks

Under normal rules, a block must stop if it enters a position adjacent to an enemy block. So as long as you can march move through that front area w/o moving adjacent to the enemy position, you can do it.

Under the Advanced rule for Fully-obstructed positions, you don't have to stop when moving adjacent to that enemy block. However, this only applies to fully obstructed positions, not normal obstructed positions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tvaryen wrote:
F of F: If a block’s front area is obstructed i.e. no F of F. Can an enemy block move through its front area as though the block wasn’t there?

jimb wrote:
Yes, as long as it doesn't enter a position adjacent to that block.


I think this last statement is either incorrect or misleading.
Under normal rules:
The block does not exert a FoF so the enemy block can move as though it were not in a FoF (provided it is not in another block's FoF) even to enter a position adjacent to that block. It cannot enter the position of the enemy block itself, only an attack move can do that.
If it does enter a position adjacent to that block it must stop. If it begins in a position adjacent to the block it cannot move other than to pivot and it can only pivot if the side is under general attack orders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
sludge wrote:
I think this last statement is either incorrect or misleading. Under normal rules:
The block does not exert a FoF so the enemy block can move as though it were not in a FoF (provided it is not in another block's FoF) even to enter a position adjacent to that block. It cannot enter the position of the enemy block itself, only an attack move can do that. If it does enter a position adjacent to that block it must stop.

You're right, this is more accurate & clear. (I meant to emphasize that, regardless of FoF- "if it enters a position adjacent [to the enemy] ... it must stop".)

Quote:
If it begins in a position adjacent to the block it cannot move other than to pivot and it can only pivot if the side is under general attack orders.

Right. (Also, it can only pivot if it's not in the FoF of any block- which the question presupposes, perhaps, but this additional limitation is easily overlooked when learning pivot moves.)

Finally, as Rich mentioned above, there's additional considerations here when using the advanced rules for fully-obstructed positions- where, in some circumstances, a block may continue marching even after entering a position adjacent to the enemy. (Nothing is straightforward in this game...)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sludge wrote:
Tvaryen wrote:
F of F: If a block’s front area is obstructed i.e. no F of F. Can an enemy block move through its front area as though the block wasn’t there?

jimb wrote:
Yes, as long as it doesn't enter a position adjacent to that block.


I think this last statement is either incorrect or misleading... The block does not exert a FoF so the enemy block can move as though it were not in a FoF


I think everybody is agreeing, and so the statement is not incorrect or misleading.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scipio Oaklandus wrote:
sludge wrote:
Tvaryen wrote:
F of F: If a block’s front area is obstructed i.e. no F of F. Can an enemy block move through its front area as though the block wasn’t there?

jimb wrote:
Yes, as long as it doesn't enter a position adjacent to that block.


I think this last statement is either incorrect or misleading... The block does not exert a FoF so the enemy block can move as though it were not in a FoF


I think everybody is agreeing, and so the statement is not incorrect or misleading.


I thought it was potentially misleading because it sounded like jimb was saying that the block couldn't enter a position adjacent to that block.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.