Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear BGG admins.

Love the site. Been using it for years. Thanks for all the work you've put into this site.. it's made a great contribution to the hobby!

I have noticed it happening more often in the last few years that threads get 'resurrected', i.e. someone posts a reply to an old or very old thread. Problem is, the dynamic of the discussion is affected by this resurrection and yet there's no easy way to see these large gaps in time visually when viewing a thread without inspecting all the dates of each post manually.

So! I was thinking.. when viewing a thread, it'd be nice if there was a slightly larger gap between replies if, e.g., a month has passed since the last reply. And then a larger one if a year has passed. If not a gap, then some kind of visual mark like a red line or an icon indicating a large gap of time between replies.

That's all, thanks. Keep up the great work, you guys rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a nifty idea.

Do you know of any forums that somehow do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just glance at the last two or three dd/mm/yy if I suspect a thread is old.

And I just had yesterday one of my reviews from 2008 commented on. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the marker also would be good after the last reply, so users will know they're resurrecting a long-dead thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Nope, these are the most feature-rich forums I have ever used (and heard of). I've never seen any other single active forum with 13 years worth of archived threads. I'm sure another many exist out there, but I've never seen nor used any.

It'd be hilarious if the icon has something to do with raising the dead.. hmm.... "raising the thread"? ... envision an icon of a thread levitating up out of the ground and covered in divine light. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
This is a nifty idea.

The "I Love Music" boards do it, for example in this thread:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boa...

(Page down a few times to see the "1 year passes..." message in blue.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
This is a nifty idea.

Man, that is pretty darn useful, isn't it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
grasa_total wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
This is a nifty idea.

Some other forums automatically lock threads after some months, but that's in some software support forums I think.

Agreed, some way to mark long-dead threads would be great. Or, they could somehow be placed in a (searchable, fully accessible) "archive" that somehow has less visibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most site are draconian about not allowing posting to old threads.

One of the reasons I like BGG is that discussions can continue in old threads sometimes rather than like other sites where there are 500000 posts commenting on the same thing simply because everyone is afraid to comment in an older thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:

Some other forums automatically lock threads after some months, but that's in some software support forums I think.

For rules questions, they should remain open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think generally threads should stay open in game forums, whatever the subject. Rare games don't get much traffic, and imagine you're posting something related to an existing thread, however old: why would you want to have to summarize or link the previous discussion?

But the "time passes" tag is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Yeah, and I agree it would be fantastic on BGG. Among other uses: Rules discussions for a game that are no longer entirely valid because an expansion has come out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good idea. Should be easy enough to implement too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other end of the spectrum of crazy. IMDb auto deletes old threads if no one posts in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not against the idea, but I'm not sure that it's particularly useful either. If someone is replying to on old thread, why does it matter how long ago it was? In what way is the dynamic changed, and why does this matter?

i.e., I see it as a 'nice-to-have', but there are plenty of other suggestions big and small that I'd like to see done before this was considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
I'm not against the idea, but I'm not sure that it's particularly useful either. If someone is replying to on old thread, why does it matter how long ago it was? In what way is the dynamic changed, and why does this matter?

I think it matters a lot as a reminder that time has passed and see it as very useful. As is, you have to manually read the time stamps for each post in order to see how the time has passed. Sometimes, especially for the suggestions forums, it's interesting to see between which posts a longer period of time has passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Except with the suggested feature youd still have to manually see the time passes alert... The only change is its been made potentially intrusive of the thread as now youd be reading down and get this stuttering effect as the thread gets interrupted by these "time passes" alerts.

Quote:
I like this game
I like this game too.
I hate this game!
What do you know looser!
WARNING WARNING TIME HAS PASSED!
I like this game.
This game is ok.
WARNING WARNING TIME HAS PASSED!
I neither like nore dislike this game.

Its a nice idea. But what does it add that the timestamps dont allready? And if it isnt intrusive to the thread then its likely little better than a timestamp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Its a nice idea. But what does it add that the timestamps dont allready? And if it isnt intrusive to the thread then its likely little better than a timestamp.

What's expected is a bit more visibility. Your example is an exaggerated example of being too intrusive. Instead, take the link presented earlier in the thread:

Or picture this:
* I'd really like some extra mention by the system if some time passes between posts.
* Yeah, that would be good, it simplifies the reading of threads!
* Won't that be pretty intrusive and just disturb the flow?
* For some threads, it will be really useful… like rules questions, maybe.
* Why don't people just look at the timestamps instead?

…two months pass…
* Anyone knows if this is going to be implemented?

Without the time mention, the last question would seem a bit more hectic, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a really great idea that should be considered if it is technically feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

What's expected is a bit more visibility. Your example is an exaggerated example of being too intrusive. Instead, take the link presented earlier in the thread:

Or picture this:
* I'd really like some extra mention by the system if some time passes between posts.
* Yeah, that would be good, it simplifies the reading of threads!
* Won't that be pretty intrusive and just disturb the flow?
* For some threads, it will be really useful… like rules questions, maybe.
* Why don't people just look at the timestamps instead?

…two months pass…
* Anyone knows if this is going to be implemented?

Without the time mention, the last question would seem a bit more hectic, no?

Except we allready have a time note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Except we allready have a time note.

Didn't you read anything in my reply, or are you just deliberately being obnoxious?

But I can point it out for you if the first three mentions didn't do it:

The point is that the time stamps aren't visualizing the time flow in any way. They don't point out specifically when a larger span of time has passed between two posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we've got the problems of:

Someone posts a response to a really old thread and resurrects it. This is annoying when a person doesn't pay attention to the time stamp and/or has a hard time seeing that May 14, 2012 is some time before September 26, 2013.

Someone doesn't post a response to an old thread, but instead makes a new thread looking for information addressed in an old thread (but not specifically handling their situation). They get a line of older members saying "There's tons of threads on this already, why don't you look before you post?"

To me, I'm perfectly okay with resurrected threads. I've seen people get answers they would've had to deal with attitudes first before getting. I've also benefitted from seeing some of the old discussions and fresh insight into them, or tweaks to peoples' previously posted ideas. I've also been online long enough to know to take a look at the date if I'm responding to something, or there's suddenly one new post on a thread that already has dozens, to see if it's still relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about people replying to old threads is that they don't always realize that they're doing it in the first place. They might be searching for something in particular, see a match for the result, and then go ahead and post on that thread without realizing that it's 2-3 years old. Had they been aware that they were posting in an old discussion, they might decide to create a new thread instead.

I have seen forums that post a warning if you're about to post in a thread that's older than a particular threshold (1 year?). They still allow you to post, but you have to check a box stating that you understand that you're posting in an old thread first. SlickDeals does this, for example. Here's an example of one of their old threads: http://slickdeals.net/f/2597617-alive-again-vita-coco-coconu... If you're a registered user and you scroll to the bottom of the screen, you can see the warning just below the Quick Reply box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to LIKE it when an old thread is resurrected. After all, there could always be people experiencing a game (even an older game) for the first time. If what they have to say is relevant to the older discussion, I surely don't want another individual thread on the same topic.

That being said, a notice that the thread is > 6 months old (when you go to reply) is probably a good idea, because it is true sometimes you don't realize immediately that the thread is that old.

As far as a 'time passes' marker, eh, I'm ambivalent. If it were a little more noticeable than a time stamp but not intrusive, I wouldn't mind it, but I don't see the need for it, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links and comments, all! Just so it's clear to anybody reading the thread:

- I am not asking to prevent resurrecting old threads (IMO I don't think we should prevent nor discourage resurrecting old threads)
- I am only asking to make visualizing the gap in time more evident when reading threads with said resurrections

Also: I would be happy to implement the feature and contribute it to BGG (free of charge) if this kind of thing is allowed and the code base uses a language/technology I'm familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.