Me and my daughter are beginners to this game and found the card bidding mechanic cumbersome and somewhat artificial. So we simply decided to play the game without the bidding 3x3 matrix mechanic for acquiring cards. Here's what we changed:
- We removed the transfer of power cards from the deck and the advantage cards that have to do with the mechanic (i.e. Ellen, The lord sits in court, Storming the Castle, etc.). We also don't use the character markers.
- We simplified the card acquisition process by handing 3 cards to each player at the beginning of the game and during each round, each player plays one card from his hand.
- Cards are replenished at the end of the round with fresh cards from the deck.
- During his turn, a player may:
a) Play a card
b) Swap one card from his hand with a fresh one from the deck, Player may swap additional cards at the cost of a seal token per exchanged card.
- The rest of the game plays as usual
Do you guys think we are missing a lot of the game by not playing the "duel" part of it?