SeaFall» Forums » News

Subject: SeaFall: A Legacy Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game entry page is not yet up, I guess there's no place else to post this right now:

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/296
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game entry is now up: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148261/seafall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Risk Legacy : General to SeaFall News.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Beiswenger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't bring myself to play Risk: Legacy b/c it has "Risk" in the title, but I'm super excited about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizwang wrote:
I couldn't bring myself to play Risk: Legacy b/c it has "Risk" in the title, but I'm super excited about this one.
You wanna try and get over that dude. I hate Risk too, but Legacy was pretty bloody special.... Get four mates, all chip in for a copy, and have a 15 game blast. We did, and all loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy is very cool and bette than Risk, but if someone loathes Risk then I'd still not reccomend it. It is essentially still Risk with many of the best elements of the other iterations of Risk to mitigate some of Risks weaknesses while also adding the wonderful campaign element.

The point system does help keep it short, but, especially in early games, there is still some issues with the map, still a tendency for turtling, and some of the legacy stuff can actually accentuate things like the problem with Aulstralia. Later elements absolutley do give players the opportunity to fix these... But that still means playing 2-6 games to get there.

Your first game in Risk Legacy is essentially classic Risk with improved point system (win by 4 points instead of by player elimination).

Anyway Seafall!! I can't wait to see what they came up with!

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds truly awesome and will be a definite purchase for my game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
Risk Legacy is very cool and bette than Risk, but if someone loathes Risk then I'd still not reccomend it. It is essentially still Risk with many of the best elements of the other iterations of Risk to mitigate some of Risks weaknesses while also adding the wonderful campaign element.

The point system does help keep it short, but, especially in early games, there is still some issues with the map, still a tendency for turtling, and some of the legacy stuff can actually accentuate things like the problem with Aulstralia. Later elements absolutley do give players the opportunity to fix these... But that still means playing 2-6 games to get there.

Your first game in Risk Legacy is essentially classic Risk with improved point system (win by 4 points instead of by player elimination).

Anyway Seafall!! I can't wait to see what they came up with!

E

Yep. Risk Legacy was a neat idea, but by game 3 or 4, our eyes had glazed over and we simply couldn't play another game. We'd only opened one envelope. Ha!

Hope this one is more interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hope this game is deeper than Risk. I also hope the legacy elements are nonpermanent. While the idea is cool, the reality (for me) is that I will never play 15 games with the same group. (I rarely play more than a few, actually.)

I would way rather do something like a draft where each player chooses legacy game mods, perhaps secret, perhaps not. Can't really do that with marker and stickers on the board, but it would be easy with vinyl stickers (think colorforms) and reusable player sheets/a dry erase board or some such.

I know this goes contrary to the intent of the game, but without reversible legacy elements this game just won't be practical for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played a gambling game without real money? Reversible changes would make your "legacy" virtually nonexistent and would suck the tension and fun out of the game.

Ironically, I'm in the same position of not having a regular game group, even though I'm really in the mood to play a campaign game. Legacy games aren't made for people in our predicament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Have you ever played a gambling game without real money? Reversible changes would make your "legacy" virtually nonexistent and would suck the tension and fun out of the game.

Ironically, I'm in the same position of not having a regular game group, even though I'm really in the mood to play a campaign game. Legacy games aren't made for people in our predicament.

Maybe not for you. The whole point of my post was that reversible legacy elements would work better for me.

Also, I hate gambling for money. I love gambling for victory. Every boardgame is a gambling game for me (I abhor games with no chance elements).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not do this again. The old Risk Legacy "oh noes" threads are still around if you really want to relive those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
Let's not do this again. The old Risk Legacy "oh noes" threads are still around if you really want to relive those days.

Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Nahkalaka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely cannot wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated R:L because a runaway leader is impossible to defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
I hated R:L because a runaway leader is impossible to defeat.

Not if everyone realizes that and attacks them over everyone else. It is all about players perception. If a runaway leader can fool the other players into thinking he isn't running away with the game then he might be impossible to defeat.

Either way, I'm excited about SeaFall as well. Just seems so far away... possibly more than a year! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Yup, our later games were more in the order 2+ hours rather than 1 because you had to be subtle about getting ahead to avoid a backlash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gardiner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A runaway leader is impossible to beat by yourself. Someone must be willing to take a losing position to disadvantage the leader and the reluctance to give the win to someone other than yourself is the mechanism that keeps the runaway leader in the lead.

In R:L, someone has to take the leader's territory as their starting location, thus depriving the leader of the tools to win, but also hampering the game of the person that took that spot.

Playing legacy games, you quickly learn (hopefully not too late!) that immediate self-interest can impact the games yet to be played in a negative manner. That's an experience you do not get from other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

Yep. Risk Legacy was a neat idea, but by game 3 or 4, our eyes had glazed over and we simply couldn't play another game. We'd only opened one envelope. Ha!

Then play a few more games to find out what's in them! It took a while for us to get into a few envelopes, at at ten games in there is still one we haven't opened (plus the one we will not open ever), and we've had fun each time.

Of course, our group likes Risk, even though I know it's not fashionable to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.