Subject: Capturing whole city with Open Gates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jester
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This happened in a game the other night and allowed the player to effectively swing the VP counts by 8 in his favor in a single move action.

Player A has God Speed (+1 Move red tile) and a 5-unit troop with Phoenix, giving that troop 3 movement and the open gates ability. He starts the troop in the west-most temple.

The central city is controlled by Player B. Player B has a troop in one of the city spaces, and a level 4 pyramid in each of the city spaces.

As the final action of the day phase (and of the game it turned out), Player A uses 2 movement points to move all but 1 unit of the Phoenix troop (leaving 1 unit in the western temple) to an empty space in Player B's city. He leaves a single unit in that space and moves the rest of the troop (using its 3rd and final movement point) to the other empty space in Player B's city. He leaves a single unit in that space as well, and teleports the rest of the troop (now a Phoenix and 2 units) to the northern temple, where he wins a fight against Player B.

The results of this single move action were:
Player A gains 5 VP
- 2 temporary VP because he took control of 2 level 4 pyramids
- 1 temporary VP because he took control of the northern temple
- 1 permanent VP because he controlled 2 temples
- 1 permanent VP because he won a fight as attacker
Player B loses 3 VP
- 2 temporary VP because she lost controls of 2 level 4 pyramids
- 1 temporary VP because she lost control of the northern temple

The score before that action had been A-7 and B-10, so B was going to win as soon as the phase ended. But this one move changed the score to A-12, B-7.

So my rules question is basically, is all that was described above kosher? It seems too powerful to be allowed, but we couldn't find anything wrong with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is both legit and impressive!

There was a recent point-swing of this type in a 2-player game I played not long ago. At the end of the penultimate turn, we were tied 7-to-7. At the end of the final turn, the score was 11 to 6.

The winner picked up 4 VP in a single turn as follows:
- Took over the loser's temple for 1 temporary VP
- Received 1 VP for the successful combat in that process
- Received another 1 VP for successfully defending against the loser's attempt to retake the temple (power tile allowed VP for defense)
- Got a further permanent VP for controlling two temples at sunset.

But 5 VP in a single action is quite a feat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: Player B is at serious fault for leaving two undefended level-4 pyramids. Kemet does tend to emphasize offense over defense, but that's just an open invitation there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I reiterate. This is Sparta!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! the only clarification I would make is the permanent VP for controlling 2 temples actually wouldn't happen. The game ends at the end of the day phase. The two temple permanent VPs are awarded in the night phase. Edit: Wrong information. Permanent VPs for a temple are awarded at the end of the day phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jester
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, we did notice that little conflict about the game ending at the end of the day, but the temple permanent VP (and the sanctuary VP) being awarded at night.

So if you are playing to 10 VP, and someone is at 9 VP and controls two temples going into night phase, the game would continue for the entire extra day phase even though the person ticked up to 10 VP already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. (edit: Actually the answer is No.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
KuulGryphun wrote:
So if you are playing to 10 VP, and someone is at 9 VP and controls two temples going into night phase, the game would continue for the entire extra day phase even though the person ticked up to 10 VP already?

Yes, because someone else might get 10 (or more) points by the end of the Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
The OP's scenario has actually happened more than once in my circle, more or less.

It is basically impossible to defend more than 1 space in your city during the final game round. I think the answer is: DON'T build more than 1 level 4 pyramid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boanerges wrote:
Very nice! the only clarification I would make is the permanent VP for controlling 2 temples actually wouldn't happen. The game ends at the end of the day phase. The two temple permanent VPs are awarded in the night phase.

??? VPs for controlling areas are awarded at the end of the Day Phase after all players' actions have been completed, including Permanent ones for controlling two temples and the Sanctuary. No VPs are given during the Night Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
Boanerges wrote:
Very nice! the only clarification I would make is the permanent VP for controlling 2 temples actually wouldn't happen. The game ends at the end of the day phase. The two temple permanent VPs are awarded in the night phase.

??? VPs for controlling areas are awarded at the end of the Day Phase after all players' actions have been completed, including Permanent ones for controlling two temples and the Sanctuary. No VPs are given during the Night Phase.

You are correct sir. My pardons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Boanerges wrote:
chopperdan wrote:
Boanerges wrote:

You are correct sir. My pardons.

Wow I was playing this wrong too. Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
Boanerges wrote:

... that'll teach me to answer questions when the rulebook is in my car. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:

There is at least one way to pick up a VP during the Night Phase. If you have the Hand of God power tile (White level 3), you can get a pyramid to level 4 during the night, and receive the corresponding temporary VP. But you're right about the dual-temple and Sanctuary VP, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A move such as this is actually a very typical event for our games, which usually end precisely this way; and our inability to prevent or stop such hugely swingy moves has soured us a leeeeetle on this marvellous game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've only played games to 8 VP. But given this discussion of high-scoring late-game plays, I'm thinking that the "longer" 10-VP game won't usually take much more time, and might be a more satisfying benchmark.

What about 11? I like that the prayer points track "goes to 11," how about VP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei S.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Againsto wrote:
A move such as this is actually a very typical event for our games, which usually end precisely this way; and our inability to prevent or stop such hugely swingy moves has soured us a leeeeetle on this marvellous game.

It *is* possible to keep track of such threats.

- Only a player with Open Gates, Phoenix or a very lucky DI card (1 of 35) can enter your city by surprise. (Edit: They could also spend an Act of God or Divine Will action to move twice in one turn)
- Only a troop with sufficient movement can do so. Even more movement is required to take multiple pyramids. If they need to teleport first, you can keep track of whether they have the PP (they might have Prayer or Mana Theft, but that's another card in their hand that isn't Open Gates).
- Only a player who knows you won't have the chance to kick them out can risk such a thing. That means you're safe while you have a free recruitment action and enough units in your reserve, or a free movement action and a troop that can cover the distance.
- They will also not risk doing this if they think a subsequent attack by a different player can deprive them of enough VP to take them below the victory margin (such as by taking a temple from them for up to 2VP).

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Againsto wrote:

Ditto. I started the thread "go last = win" die to moves like this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Going last is very powerful, but not a guarantee of winning. Especially if the other player(s) are aware of the last player's capabilities.

In the original example, a troop of one on guard duty outside the city walls would have blocked the seizure of his temples (by inducing a fight). B still would have lost, but not as badly Multiple unguarded level 4 pyramids are sketchy ground to try and build a win on. Ditto for occupying temples that you can't adequately defend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Going last is very powerful, but not a guarantee of winning. Especially if the other player(s) are aware of the last player's capabilities.

No, it is not, but it seems extremely difficult to win while not being last in turn order. At our table, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
silverbowen wrote:

No, it is not, but it seems extremely difficult to win while not being last in turn order. At our table, of course.

Have you tried table talk/alliances against the last player? My experience has been that when the last player makes a bid to win a small roadblock will not only prevent it, but cost them the game next turn (when maybe the new last player wins, lol).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.