Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the daybreak expansion covering the story arc of season 4 and tying up several loose ends: improved treachery, improved agendas, tokens as reminders for once per game, another (better?) option for 4 and 6 player games, ... I don't expect another big expansion for this game. However, I don't see FFG saying anywhere on their website that this is the final expansion.

So while I don't expect it, they could release smaller expansions. One possibility would be a character expansion, including some missing characters. The first characters that come to mind are those for who we have allies in the exodus expansion, but no playable characters yet. That gives us 7 names:
Priestess Elosha, Billy Keikeya, Kendra Shaw, Aaron Kelly, Diana "Hardball" Seelix, Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson, Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo

So I started thinking: what could those characters be like? I started some rough design, and came up with the character sheets below. I took care to avoid any identical skill sets with existing characters and also wanted to make their abilities unique and fitting to the character.
So here we are:

Billy Keikeya (Politics)
S: 3 Politics – 1 Leadership
+: Presidential attaché: During your receive skill step, draw one quorum card, look at it and give it to the president.
1: Sacrifice: Once per game when a character would be executed, you may move to sickbay to cancel the execution.
-: Inexperienced: You start the game without any skill cards.
L: Presidents Office

Diana "Hardball" Seelix (Support)
S: 1 politics – 1 leadership – 1 tactics – 2 choice (Piloting / Engineering)
+: Skilled pilot: When a basestar would hit galactica, you may discard an evasive manoeuvre card to reroll the die with -2 applied to its result.
1: The circle - Action: Once per game, look at a random loyalty card belonging to another player. Then either send that player to the brig or you discard 2 skill cards and draw 2 treachery cards.
-: Wings denied: you cannot pilot a viper before the sleeper phase
L: Hangar deck

Kendra Shaw (Military)
S: 2 Leadership – 2 Tactics – 1 choice (Engineering/Tactics)
+: Disciplined: Whenever you take one or more actions during another players turn, that player draws one leadership card at the end of his turn.
1: Razor: Action: Once per game, destroy a civilian ship to choose two from the following options: Repair a destroyed raptor, Repair 2 damaged vipers, Gain one food, Loose one morale to gain one fuel, Advance the jump preparation track by one, Repair one damaged location.
-: Late for duty: you also have to discard a skill card to move between locations on the same ship.
L: Weapons control or pagasus’s main batteries.

Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson (Pilot)
S: 1 Leadership – 2 Tactics – 2 Piloting – 1 Engineering
+: Eager to kill: Once per turn while piloting a viper, after you successfully shot down a cylon ship, you may move.
1: Nukes away: Action: Once per game, while piloting a viper, sacrifice yourself (execution of your character) to destroy all ships (Cylon and Human) in your space sector.
-: Clouded by hatred: Whenever the fleet jumps, if there are any cylon ships left around galactica, you must discard 3 skill cards. If you can’t, you are moved to sickbay.

Aaron Kelly (Military)
S: 3 leadership – 3 tactics
+: Landing Signal Officer: Once per turn after a player activates command or the hangar deck, you may activate 1 unmanned viper.
1: Terrorist bombings: Once per game, when a skill check on a game board location is activated, you may designate one player who cannot contribute cards to this skill check.
-: Questionable loyalty: At the start of your turn (before your receive skill step), you must discard 2 skill cards. For each card you can’t discard, draw one mutiny card.
L: Command

Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo (Pilot)
S: 1 Leadership – 3 tactics – 1 piloting
+: Expert scout: when you succeed a die roll on a launch scout card, you may gain 1 fuel, 1 food or 1 morale instead of scouting the destination or crisis deck. Destroy the raptor if you do.
1: ECO officer: Once per game, you may choose the destination of a jump instead of the admiral. You may draw one additional destination card to choose from.
-: Inexperienced leader: Whenever another player takes an action during your turn, you are moved to sickbay.

Priestess Elosha (Politics)
S: 2 politics – 2 leadership – 1 choice (politics/leadership)
+: Knowledge of the scrolls: At the end of your turn, look at the top card of the destiny deck.
1: Spiritual leader: Action: Once per game, you may gain 1 morale. All human players discard one skill card.
-: Crisis of faith: At the end of your turn, if your crisis card had no printed jump preparation symbol, you discard one skill card and draw one treachery card.
L: Presidents office.

Tell me what you think of them.
Would you like to play with them? Why (not)?
Do you think they are over/under-powered? Why (not)?

Disclaimer: I allow FFG to use any of this design if they like it.
I thank everyone with who I've exchanged thoughts about this game for the ideas they might have seeded in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for Crashdown, those are all characters that have already fan made data sheets...

And those characters have been massively play-tested for more than 2 years now approx.

They were tested here in the Play by forum variants

The 2 main fan made variants are

Revelations

&

Brutality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpalgens wrote:

That's very nice.
But what do you think of my version ... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanisław Krawczyk
msg tools
mb
A short note on my part:

- Billy's sheet makes him a weak character and a useful ally, which is nice thematically but not necessarily fun to play.

- Same thing with Kendra's drawback and OPT, although the problem is less marked here. (Also, her OPG can hardly be used in a pro-Cylon way.)

- Crashdown's OPT is very, very powerful. For a comparison: Zarek's OPG only allows him to gain 1 resource point at the expense of another (e.g., Fuel for Population). And it's an OPG, not an OPT. I suppose you may have wanted to balance a powerful OPT with an equally damaging drawback but my pick would be to nerf both of these.

Other than that, I rather like your characters. Hope this helps in developing them further!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are interesting but rather unbalanced...

I have fowarded your thread to one of our mod in our Variant community: Mark

He is VERY sharp about this and you should listen to the comments he'll make about your characters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Price
msg tools
My opinion
Billy Keikeya (Politics) - I like this character, interesting play style. Would change his OPG to "ANOTHER Character" so he can't stop his own execution. Wondering if he only suppose to have a skill set of 4 because of his OPT or if it was overlooked.

Diana "Hardball" Seelix (Support) - Like everything except for the skill set, being able to draw all 5 colours, especially on the same draw seems wrong to me.

Kendra Shaw (Military) - OPG has too many possible actions in my opinion, would recommend just one or two. Negative seems a little too much, maybe only when moving to a location with another player? But that'd be similar to Romo's.

Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson (Pilot) - Skill set of 6 seems OP. Love the OPT. OPG is neat but seems too much like Kat's. Negative is too much especially with the CFB, I'd change it completely.

Aaron Kelly (Military) - Again 6 card skill set. Like the OPT and OPG. Would reduce negative to only 1 skill card.

Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo (Pilot) - Overpowered. Gaining resources for raptors is too good. OPG i love and wouldn't change. Negative hardly affects him, just don't play XO's or State of Emergency and your golden.

Priestess Elosha (Politics) - Meh. Nothing wrong with her, abilities seem balanced but I wouldn't play her.

That's my opinion for whatever it's worth. Besides a few tweaks here and there I think these characters are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this is the best way to offer my opinions/suggestions, so let's see if it works. I'll be bolding any suggestions I have. All in all, you have some really neat ideas I have yet to see for these characters. If you like my proposed changes, feel free to keep them, but largely my suggestions are just something for you to work with.

quit and nuts wrote:
Billy Keikeya (Politics)
S: 2 Politics - 1 Leadership - 2 Tactics
+: Presidential attaché: During your receive skill step, draw one quorum card. You may then either place it on the bottom of the deck or give it to the president.
1: Sacrifice: Once per game when another character would be executed, you may move to sickbay to cancel the execution.
-: Civilian: You may not use tactics cards for their actions.
L: Presidents Office

Tactics has been used within the game to represent political maneuvering (see Lampkin and Tory) and Billy doesn't deserve 3 politics (that puts him on par with the most savvy politicians in the game which he is not, though he has the potential). 4 card draw is a drawback in and of itself, and Anders' drawback is already way harsh and doesn't need to be repeated. A variation of Doc's was used here that I think makes sense, but you could just as easily keep Inexperienced but change the wording to "you have a 4-card skill set" which could then be 2y 1p 1g.

quit and nuts wrote:
Diana "Hardball" Seelix (Support)
S: 1 Politics – 2 Tactics – 2 Piloting / Engineering
+: Natural pilot: While you are piloting a viper, you may discard any one-value card to reroll the die when a raider attacks you.
1: The circle - Action: Once per game, look at a random loyalty card belonging to another player. Then either send that player to the brig or allow them to draw two skill cards (they may come from outside their skill set).
-: Wings denied: you cannot pilot a viper before the sleeper phase

I just don't think she deserves leadership, and she can convert politics if she wants to. OPT is unthematic-how is she piloting galactica, and even if she was, keeping the -2 is too powerful for such a common card. I like the OPG a lot, no other Seelix has connected her to the circle so I definitely applaud that (removed the treachery bit so she doesn't rely on Peg/Day. If you don't mind that, consider having her allow the other player to draw two skill cards rather than Seelix discarding two). Drawback is standard for Seelixes but works well.

quit and nuts wrote:
Kendra Shaw (Military)
S: 2 Leadership – 2 Tactics – 1 choice (Engineering/Tactics)
+: Disciplined: Whenever you take one or more actions during another players turn, you may both draw a card after the resolution of those actions.
1: Razor: Action: Once per game, destroy a civilian ship. You may then repair 2 human ships (they may be damaged or destroyed) and 1 Galactica location. If you do not repair anything, lose 1 morale and gain 1 fuel.
-: Late for duty: you also have to discard an extra skill card to move between ships.
L: Weapons control or pagasus’s main batteries.

Favorite Kendra skill set I've seen so far. No one has ever nailed it as far as I'm concerned, but this is perfect. This small suggestion for her OPT gives her something as well and a potential drawback weakenin to make her more fun for the player rather than her allies. Messing with jump prep, even on an OPG, is a no-no in general. Also cleaned up the repair options slightly, no real change here though.

quit and nuts wrote:
Margaret "Racetrack" Edmondson (Pilot)
S: 1 Engineering – 2 Piloting – 2 Tactics/Leadership
+: Eager to kill: Once per turn while piloting a viper, after you successfully shoot down a cylon ship, you may activate your viper.
1: Nukes away: Action: Once per game, while piloting a viper, you may launch a nuke as though you were the admiral (this does not require a nuke token). You may choose to target Galactica instead of a Basestar. Galactica is damaged once on a 4-7 and twice on an 8.
-: Clouded by hatred: Whenever you are forced to land your viper, you must discard 2 skill cards.

Can't see a reason for the 6-card draw, but wanted to keep the spirit of your original set around: Leadership because of her background in flight instruction, tactics because of the scouts, Engineering for her electronics skills. OPG suggestion mostly to differentiate her from Kat while adding more cylon utility (besides, no one likes playing suicidal characters: see Tommy Muldoon from Innsmouth Horror). Suggested drawback change makes it less harsh and also encourages her to use assault raptors when available.

quit and nuts wrote:
Aaron Kelly (Military)
S: 1 piloting - 2 tactics - 2 leadership/engineering
+: Landing Signal Officer: Once per turn, while not in the brig, when a player activates command or the hangar deck you may activate 1 unmanned viper.
1: Terrorist bombings: Once per game, when a skill check on a game board location is activated, you may designate one player who cannot contribute cards to this skill check.
-: No longer in flight: You may not pilot a viper.
L: Command

six card skill set again. Gave him piloting (he has his wings, after all, and works closely with the pilots) and made sure he can't use most of the red cards so the it is actually negative. Speaking of, suggested a drawback change mostly because I'm not sure if you want him to require Daybreak. If you don't, go ahead and keep his old drawback but I suggest you use the above skill set with tactics in place of piloting and make the drawback give him only 1 mutiny card. I like the abilities a lot, though: favorite Kelly so far.

quit and nuts wrote:
Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo (Pilot)
S: 3 tactics – 1 piloting - 1 engineering
+: Junior ECO: When the fleet jumps, you may play a Launch Scout card during the "remove ships" step.
1: Timely Discovery: Once per game, when a scout roll succeeds, you may choose to destroy the raptor and gain 1 fuel, food, or population instead of resolving the skill card as normal.
-: Inexperienced Leader: Whenever you roll to scout and succeed, you must discard one card. If you cannot, you are moved to sickbay.

If anyone deserves to be denied leadership, it's Crashdown. Kept up the tradition of raptor pilots being given engineering (except Helo I guess). Switched the OPT and OPG because Expert Scout is way too good to be usable anytime, but was a cool and thematic idea (weakened ECO a bit to make it usable as triggered ability).

quit and nuts wrote:
Priestess Elosha (Politics)
S: 2 politics – 1 leadership
+: Knowledge of the scrolls: During your "receive skills" step, draw the top two cards of the Destiny deck.
1: Spiritual leader: Once per game, after morale is lost, you may raise it by two. All human players discard one skill card.
-: Crisis of faith: At the end of your turn, if your crisis card had no printed jump preparation symbol, discard two skill cards.
L: Presidents office.

Skill set change is because she is neither as savvy as Roslin/Romo/Tory nor as much a leader as Adama. The destiny draw should add a bit of randomness to her, which may be fun or annoying, i don't know. I liked your idea with her seeing destiny and thought maybe it would help the skill set issue. OPG essentially the same, but no longer requires an action and can be used to save humanity from the brink of destruction (like NewHelo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two wishes in regards to a BSG mini-expansion, and ive mentioned this before. The easiest one I could see being done, is to mostly base it around Razor, giving us four slots and needed accessories, and some new Crisis cards based around the plot.

Obviously, that would mean Shaw as the Military type, which would be an way sell based on her popularity, and the fact that the show was mostly based around her.

Politico, Pilot, and Support would be a little tougher to tie in. Mostly because the show was based around the Pegasus, and not Galactica or the fleet.

I figure Billy is a no brainer for Politico, based on his popularity, and the fact that he was still an active part of the show during the timeframe that Razor is set in. Plus, no one else really stands out as importantly to the show as he does as a Politico as him, without having received a character.

Same goes for Racetrack as a Pilot. She was around from the first season through the finale, but doesn't actually appear in Razor. She could be based around Daybreak (which she should have been in), as she is both a Raptor Wrangler, and a Muntineer.

Support would likely end up with Seelix, as she has her fans. And, also fulfills a dual role as Pilot and Engineer. But, I would rather add Gunny Mathias for three reasons. First off, she's actually in Razor, being part of the rescue party. Secondly, she would be our only Marine character, giving us a dual Military and Engineer type (she does rig the nuke). And thirdly, I want to play a Marine in BSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.