Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Free Trader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Selling Cargo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When calculating the exchange rate for selling cargo, the manual says "Use the *last* Event card that you drew."
I use the *first* event card that I draw, the one that determines the event. It gives me a good reason to either combat (and hope to stay on the planet) so I can trade at the rate defined by that first event card, or jump after the initial enemy drop.
If I don't use the first card to sell cargo, then I have no idea what exchange rate i'm getting, so I struggle to have an incentive to stay on the planet for some random exchange rate.

Am i missing/breaking something by doing this?
 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
When calculating the exchange rate for selling cargo, the manual says "Use the *last* Event card that you drew."
I use the *first* event card that I draw, the one that determines the event. It gives me a good reason to either combat (and hope to stay on the planet) so I can trade at the rate defined by that first event card, or jump after the initial enemy drop.
If I don't use the first card to sell cargo, then I have no idea what exchange rate i'm getting, so I struggle to have an incentive to stay on the planet for some random exchange rate.

Am i missing/breaking something by doing this?


You never know what the final price of goods will be before you jump, only the general trend indicated by the planet based modifiers.

Just like modern shipping of goods, when it's put on the boat in china, it's price will have varied before it reaches the UK market.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
but I need something to help me with my fight or flight descision. an insentive to fight or a reason to flee. I think it adds to the deliciou making. would it work long term?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but I need something to help me with my fight or flight descision.


That is what the planetary Modifier is for, although you may play it any way you want. Why not go ahead and look at the next card while you're at it? Either way you're only cheating yourself in a solitaire game ... Justify it any way you want ... welcome to the world of insider trading.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
but I need something to help me with my fight or flight descision. an insentive to fight or a reason to flee. I think it adds to the deliciou making. would it work long term?


When the bad guys turn up, the more important decision, is, do you want to spend time (cards) fighting them, rather than what are the current prices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malechi wrote:
Quote:
but I need something to help me with my fight or flight descision.


That is what the planetary Modifier is for, although you may play it any way you want. Why not go ahead and look at the next card while you're at it? Either way you're only cheating yourself in a solitaire game ... Justify it any way you want ... welcome to the world of insider trading.


I don't understand. Why would I go ahead and look at the next card while I am at it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
Why would I go ahead and look at the next card while I am at it?


To cheat
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
SJack wrote:
but I need something to help me with my fight or flight descision. an insentive to fight or a reason to flee. I think it adds to the deliciou making. would it work long term?


When the bad guys turn up, the more important decision, is, do you want to spend time (cards) fighting them, rather than what are the current prices.


If the price is high enough, yes, I'd want to fight the bad guys to get the great exchange rate, wouldn't it?

I'll play it a bit more and see how it turns out. The randomness that determines the price is essential, but I think it makes more sense to know what that random price is before committing to fight or flight.
Why would I fight on a planet without knowing if it's worth while?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
FNH1 wrote:
SJack wrote:
but I need something to help me with my fight or flight descision. an insentive to fight or a reason to flee. I think it adds to the deliciou making. would it work long term?


When the bad guys turn up, the more important decision, is, do you want to spend time (cards) fighting them, rather than what are the current prices.


If the price is high enough, yes, I'd want to fight the bad guys to get the great exchange rate, wouldn't it?

I'll play it a bit more and see how it turns out. The randomness that determines the price is essential, but I think it makes more sense to know what that random price is before committing to fight or flight.
Why would I fight on a planet without knowing if it's worth while?


You may have no choice but to fight, if you don't have enough fuel/money.

Also you might want the bounty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with V 1 of the game and agree with the OP I'll try to explain why. The rules for step 5 of the turn sequence is three sentences that I treat as three distinct phases A. Draw an event card B. Complete the event by doing nothing, going to the pirate section, or the police section. C Discard the event card. So in my reading of the rules if I draw a pirate card I do not discard that card until I have finished the pirate event. In the instructions on combating the pirates it states to discard the event cards used in combat before returning to the turn sequence. Now that I have completed the pirate event I return to complete step five by discarding the pirate card. Since the pirate card is on top of my discard pile I treat it as the last card drawn and use its values to determine the value of the goods I'm selling.

I just read through the V 2 rules and again I see it saying to complete the pirate interaction before it tells you to discard the event card. So the original event card should be on the top of you discard pile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.