Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Cornett
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A somewhat unique situation came up during our last game:

I was playing the Abbess and the Prioress, in that order for the entire game. At the end of the novices' turn, one of the novices announced that the Prioress could hear her, so we placed the noise marker next to the Prioress indicating that she could deviate from her path on her next turn.

On the Abbess and Prioress's turn, I moved the Abbess first (like I had been doing the whole game so far) and ended her movement on space 16 where I saw a novice on space 18 (one space away from winning the game). Next came the Prioress's turn, who happened to be only 6 spaces away from the novice that the Abbess spotted on space 18.

It's clear that the Prioress can deviate from her path because of the noise marker from the novices' turn, but could she use information gained on the Abbess's turn to chase after the novice on space 18?

I guess the easiest way to ask the question is how I phrased it in the post subject line: Do the Abbess and Prioress Share information?

If yes, then the Prioress could deviate in any direction she wishes (because of the noise marker) to catch the novice on space 18.

If no, then the Prioress could only deviate in the direction of the noise marker since she shouldn't have any knowledge of the novice on space 18.

We ruled that they do share information. Thematically I explained that the Abbess and Prioress are patrolling for a reason, and probably have guard whistles which could be used to alert each other if they see anything. The rest of the group agreed, but mainly because catching that novice wouldn't end the game (Abbess and Prioress player still needed to catch one more novice) and would give them a chance to win the game instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they don't share any information, but the controlling player does.

In your example, as both guards are free to move in any direction, the guard player is also free to chose how they move. He cannot neglect the information that he has received and can use it at his own interest.

So, your interpretation of the rules was correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cornett
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick reply and great game. It's one of my gaming group's favorites and we use it quite a bit as a gateway game for some of our non-gamer friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Frederic Moyersoen wrote:
No, they don't share any information, but the controlling player does.

In your example, as both guards are free to move in any direction, the guard player is also free to chose how they move. He cannot neglect the information that he has received and can use it at his own interest.

So, your interpretation of the rules was correct.

Sorry, Im not sitting her with the rules at hand, but I thought I remembered that they do not.
Imagine them at different ends of the building. How would they communicate? The rules, as I recall, do state that they must continue on their path until they see or hear someone.
There really is no distinction between the characters and the player, since the two characters could be played by two different players.
That being said, if the Abbess and Prioress are very close to each other or within sight of each other, why wouldnt they signal the other somehow, even if only to point in a certain direction? But something like this would have to be a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a reminder:

The presence of noise marker allows the guard (abbess or prioress) to move in any direction. You don't have to run in the direction of the noise.
Especially with a lot of novices, it's more interesting to move in a complete opposite direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.