Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone clarify the pros/cons to these editions? I have a chance to pick up the Avalon Hill edition and I want to make sure I'm not missing out on too much if I do so. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG version has pretty much everything the Avalon Hill version has and more. The only reason to get the AH version is for price or you prefer the way it looks.

The base gameplay is the same for both versions except for a small change or two in a couple of the Energize cards. I think the only difference is in one of the cards that gets you more Rubium, the way to figure out how much you get is different. There might be another card that is slightly different as well, someone else should be able to tell you.

Otherwise, the FFG version includes double-sided reference sheets with a new set of stats for the figures. It also has a double-sided monolith tile for a whirlpool variant, and some extra exploration tiles for some new prizes to be found if you want to mix them in. I even think you can find a picture or file on here with the alternate stats redrawn to look like the AH version.

However, the rulebook is available online, so most, if not all these variants could be used with the AH version as well.

Basically, it comes down to personal preference. I got the FFG version because it was newer, had the variants, and I think the minis are more detailed. But others prefer the original minis and tile graphics, as well as a raised monolith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle! Our paths cross again! I bought Dungeon Roll from you when we met at CVS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And the Avalon Hill mini's 'glow' under Black Light!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember. I was looking for you at the last Canton library game day to see if you would make it. Next one is on Oct. 5 if you have nothing going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Supremo wrote:

Not sure one board game justifies getting a black light.

Like Doomturtle said, you can find all the new rules/variants included with the FFG version online. So your choice comes down to components.

Do you prefer cheesy raygun sci fi (Avalon Hill) or gritty Hollywood sci fi (FFG)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Avalon Hill version. I doubt you can go wrong either way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy both!

I use the AH version for the original units and the FFG version for the "alternate units" described on the flipside of the board): clones instead of humans, Magma Divers instead of Lava Leapers, etc.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ex Nihilo wrote:

Oh it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the AH version in a trade. After one 4 player game, I love it! I saw the variant troop sheet here and may use that in the future. Raised monolith is pretty cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite glad I have the AH edition.

Personally I think the artwork looks a lot better (both on the box as on the tiles).

Also those coloured see-through mini's are so much cooler than those FFG miniatures that basically look like every other unpainted miniature that FFG put into their games. (Like those in gears of war, D&D ravenloft/Drizzt etc)

And although the original monolith is quite crappy, at least it's actually a RAISED tile, instead of just the center tile.

If my copy would get lost or stolen I'd try my utmost to get another AH version instead of the newer FFG version.

Hmm, I might eventually even buy a blacklight for my next session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
I just compared the rules, and from my understanding, there is a difference in playing the open-faced "Battle Victory" / "Mission" cards:
In FFG edition, you can play one "Battle Victory" and one "Secret Mission: Battle card" per battle.
In Avalon edition, you can play one "Mission" or or "Secret Mission" per battle.
Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
technically it's different, but due to the differences between the cards themselves it works out the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
I see. The FFG "Secret Mission" cards give less victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ex Nihilo wrote:
El Supremo wrote:

Like Doomturtle said, you can find all the new rules/variants included with the FFG version online. So your choice comes down to components.

Do you prefer cheesy raygun sci fi (Avalon Hill) or gritty Hollywood sci fi (FFG)?

I recently traded into an old school nexus ops, and gotta say, I really like the candy colored miniatures. They are a little tricky to tell apart, but they have a shiny bubbly quality than is fairly unique. The cards aren't the best quality though.

My question is, where can I find these FFG upgraded rules/variants? Which would you advise I download?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main thing you probably want is the flipside of the board on FFG edition. These can be found here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76562/unit-variant-abiliti...

There is another version of the monolith in the second edition, but I can't seem to find the rules online for it. I've never played with it, but I think it makes the monolith a warp hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieDad2 wrote:
The main thing you probably want is the flipside of the board on FFG edition. These can be found here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76562/unit-variant-abiliti...

There is another version of the monolith in the second edition, but I can't seem to find the rules online for it. I've never played with it, but I think it makes the monolith a warp hole.

Thank you!

Any advice as to which plays better? Should I just start with the version in AH, or is the variant seen as a better game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the AH version and have never played with the FFG rules/variants. I find the base game satisfying enough as is. But, I was glad the variants were out there, so I knew I wasn't missing anything. Definitely, play without variants for the first few games. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieDad2 wrote:
I own the AH version and have never played with the FFG rules/variants. I find the base game satisfying enough as is. But, I was glad the variants were out there, so I knew I wasn't missing anything. Definitely, play without variants for the first few games. Good luck!

Did you update any of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not, but let me know what you find out about that. That might not be a bad idea. I think some of the game is dependent on how well you draw secret missions. Perhaps, the updated cards fix that. Still loved the game w/o the updated cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they changed the secret missions. Now you always get a win a battle mission card every time you win a battle. the actual missions that require winning battles were all downgraded 1 vp to balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like it is the exact same thing. In the AH verision, you just get the VP on the card instead of getting a VP on the battle card. Doesn't seem important to change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a mechanical tweak to how you play VP cards, but not a scoring change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.