Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim grah
United States
redding
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to introduce my game group to mansions of madness and arkham horror, im not sure which game to play first. i haven't played them yet myself and dont want to overload them right away with a really hard to learn heavy game. so which game should introduce them to first, i want it to be fun and not scare then away with the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Esberard
United States
Fort Lauderdale
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Click and Admire!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...

I voice for start with MoM...
AH do has chances of scares ppl not used with alot of small rules and conditions togheter at same time...

Ket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Arkham Horror first. It is still rules-heavy (though not really a heavy game per se), but being a cooperative game, people are more open to make questions and try to learn things together.

If your friends, afterwards, liked the theme, the mood, MoM might be a good step to make.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with both of the above.

This is a tough question because the two games are so very different. I can see either being very fun for a new group. If these folks are already know what "hit points" are, then I would go with AH. If you think a concept as basic as hit points would be new to them, I would go with MoM. It's a close toss-up however.

Realize that with MoM you will be playing against the group, but with AH you will be playing with them. (You probably knew that)

Edit: I'm going to slightly revise my opinion in favor of AH. MoM has a long setup, and if you want to avoid some of the basic design issues with the game you have to mod the cards ahead of time (mod files in the files section).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough choices really.

My group and I have played and enjoyed both.

Arkham has the advantage of playing as a group. As long as one player (you presumably) knows the rules well it can go okay, even though it is a more complicated game.

Mansions is a fun, but very different game experience. It will be more complicated for you, assuming you're the Dungeon Master/Keeper/Overlord, but simpler for the players. As mentioned above, if you're gonna do Mansions, you should set it up at your house in advance of the group arriving. It can be super long and boring set up for newbies.

Either way, check the BGG downloads and get the quick references for the game. Maybe even watch a video or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one or more experienced players who have played one of the two games, play that game. By experienced, I mean they should know the general flow of the game, the basic rules, and how to quickly find answers the more obscure rule questions.

If no one has any experience with either game, then play Arkham first, but take it upon yourself to learn the game by playing solo a couple times.

Whichever game we play, I set up the game in advance of playing, before the players arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend Arkham Horror. We favor the mechanics of AH over MoM. We also prefer the full coop mode of AH...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim grah
United States
redding
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.