Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: What unreleased captains will have high skill rating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the Dominion and their terrible choice of captains and started wondering what captains still to be released will have a high rating.

Janeway is almost certain to be high (probably a 7 or 8), but she is Federation where so many good captains already reside. The highest possible non-federation candidate I can think of is Gul Dukat who was shown to be a very capable commander and should be an 8.

You guys have any other predictions for future captains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Gul Dukat is that high. Think about it this way...Sisko is a 6 and he was essentially responsible for Gul Dukat's defeat. On that same note, Martok is an 8 and Gowron a 6, and they were also involved in Gul Dukat's defeat. To me it doesn't make sense for him to be above a 6, unless it's to help balance out the Dominion with some decent captain skills.

Janeway has to be a 7 or 8. Obviously Jonathan Archer is coming. IMO I don't see him being above 6. Captains Sulu and Worf (Klingon) will be other ones people will anticipate, although I don't foresee Sulu being that high. There's a list of possible Starfleet personnel a mile long, but I'm not as familiar with their Klingon or Romulan counterparts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
I can actually see Dukat have a middle of the pack rating as he was more a wormy politician than anything else. Of course, Picard was a diplomat and he has a ridiculous high rating so what do I know?

I would hope that my favorite Cardassian, Dumar, has a high rating. For Cardassia and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinzon could be a high skill captain for the Romulans. Not sure what ship he'd captain, but we know he was a captain in the Dominion War and it's doubtful he had the Schimatar during the war.

With Chang coming for the Klingons, I can't think of many other high skill captains, unless they want to make Lursa and Be'tor high value. I see those two more around the 3-6 level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:
Shinzon could be a high skill captain for the Romulans. Not sure what ship he'd captain, but we know he was a captain in the Dominion War and it's doubtful he had the Schimatar during the war.

I somehow doubt we'll get Shinzon. Except as a promo or something, maybe, but I generally doubt it. If we would have, I'd have expected him in the Valdore expansion.

If we ever did, though...sure, I'd expect him to have the same rating and skill as Picard, because duh. (And, if not Shinzon, who else would give the Romulans a '9'-rated captain? Maybe Sela??)

mathguy6189 wrote:
With Chang coming for the Klingons, I can't think of many other high skill captains, unless they want to make Lursa and Be'tor high value. I see those two more around the 3-6 level.

I rather expect Lursa and Be'tor, but I doubt they'd be high skill.

Chang is an obvious choice for the highest skill Klingon Captain. He can fight a ship *and* quote Shakespeare at the same time!

Surprisingly, for being such major characters in DS9, I don't think the Cardassians have a LOT of other options for well-skilled captains.

Only two characters I could think of that might fly for that:
- Gul Ocett (the captain of the lead Cardassian ship in 'The Chase' episode of TNG)
- Seska (although I rather expect she'd be more 'crew' than anything, if she does show up, but she crafted some rather devious tactics that nearly did Voyager in a few times, so...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
Chang's in the Kronos One pack in the next wave. He's only a 6 though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1770365/star-trek-attack-wing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awr29886 wrote:
Chang's in the Kronos One pack in the next wave. He's only a 6 though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1770365/star-trek-attack-wing...

D'oh!

Gotta say, I'll be sorely disappointed if only the Federation gets '9' skill Captains...makes 'thematic' lists borderline impossible to do really effectively...

EDIT: Do we have Kor or Kang, yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gul Evek & Gul Ocette still out there. Gul Madred didn't have a ship command I'm aware of, dunno if they would prefer to him be a steal-a-captain crew card. While I get what you're saying about Gul Dukat eventually being defeated several times, I think it is safe to say there was a point in his career where he would be formidable. Also consider that while Sisko may seem lower than you'd expect, his command experience is primarily on a station and not the Defiant.

I can't recall if we ever had one of the Founders in what could be seen as direct command of a ship instead of a Vorta. If so I imagine they could be formidable.

Future Alexander would be a good Klingon pickup. While not high value, I imagine we shall see the Duras family on a BoP. Maybe some ability that lets them add their command together, they were tricky. Would imagine if you had to pick some captains that allowed them to change their initiative through game actions, it would be them.

Romulans will certainly get Sela whom I imagine will be pretty crazy. I also think that the Romulan from Balance of Terror would be formidable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see Damar having a relatively high value--while he was really just a puppet leader of the Cardassians under the Dominion, he was also a successful leader of the Cardassian resistance. (Not to mention actually being, er, the proximate cause of Dukat's fall from grace. And sanity.)

For the Klingons, Kurn was actually doing pretty well--glorious victories, a seat on the High Council--until Worf refused to back the Klingon invasion of Cardassia and Gowron took it out on the House of Mogh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duras or Kurn?

Kurn did pull off the 'fly thru the sun and pull up at the last second to cause plasma to vent up' maneuver, thus killing 2 BoP at one fell swoop.

Shinzon and Sela for the Romulans, or the guy captaining the old Warbird in 'Balance of terror'. He was pretty craft, and almost took out Kirk with a nuke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
He was pretty craft, and almost took out Kirk with a nuke.

But he lacks a name...LOL...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dukat deserves a 7. He led Sisko's fleet into a trap when it was trying to break through the Dominion fleet to get to the Dominion-held DS9 in order to stop Dukat from disabling the minefield. Only the Defiant made it through and all other ships were destroyed.

For Klingon captains, I'm very much looking forward to Kor and Kang (the other two Dahar Masters), Worf, Kruge (Christopher Lloyd), Kurn (Worf's brother), Klaa (from Final Frontier), K'Temoc, and then there's also K'mpec and Duros and Duros' sisters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
I think Dukat deserves a 7. He led Sisko's fleet into a trap when it was trying to break through the Dominion fleet to get to the Dominion-held DS9 in order to stop Dukat from disabling the minefield. Only the Defiant made it through and all other ships were destroyed.

Exactly, those episodes show Dukat as a superior commander to Sisko. If Sisko is a 6 then Dukat has to be a 7 at least. Along the same line, Dukat was also shown as far superior to Weyoun and he is also a 6.

To go with another sentiment, I was disappointed Chang was so low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Diephouse
msg tools
I'm assuming Sela for Romulans will be a 9 or at least an 8. Emperess of the Romulans and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the female Romulan Commander from TOS would rate pretty high up - Charvanek (or Dion Charvon or Praetor Thea depending on the source).

Since Toreth was created to replace her (as the actress was not available) in TNG, that should put her at a 7+ Captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Gotta say, I'll be sorely disappointed if only the Federation gets '9' skill Captains...makes 'thematic' lists borderline impossible to do really effectively...

Why? High skill is only one factor of building a successful list. The Klingons have the strongest ships and nobody complains about them hogging all the attack buffs and high attack values?

Or to put it another way, I *like* that the different factions have different strengths and weaknesses and I'm looking forward to putting together winning lists for each faction that plays to their unique strengths and overcomes their deficiencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Diephouse
msg tools
Also, as for a released Captain, Tomalok should have a higher rating. Andreas Katsulas was a great actor that played G'Kar on B5 and a fantastic antagonist as Tomalok. I'd love to see a second version of him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.