Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Melee combat is simultaneous (rulebook section 12.0, second paragraph). However, the order of resolution of melee combat is important if both players have command points remaining, as a command point can be used to re-roll a melee check made by that player (3.0, fourth bullet item).

For example, if there are two melee combats to be resolved, both are important and both players have CPs remaining, it is an advantage for a player to see the results of one melee combat before the other, so the order of the combats' resolution is important. If one player saw that one particular combat was already won or lost, it might affect whether or not to use a CP on subsequent combats.

We ruled on the spot that the "first player" determines order (having the initiative and generally being the attacker), but that may confer an unintended advantage.

We did not discuss at the time but it did occur to me right now that it is also important who declares when CPs will be used, especially in melee combat, when both players may still have CPs.

Once again, my guess would be that CPs would be declared first player, then second player, but this confers an advantage again.

The occasions on which the order of declaration of expenditure of CPs is critically important may not be often, but I think that it would definitely occur when both sides have a few CPs available and melee combat is more decisive in a scenario.

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and/or answered elsewhere.

[cross-posted to CSW]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, you are right. The player moving first decides. This question came up in GP playtesting and we put the clarification in the rule book that is coming with GP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.