Elder Sign: Unseen Forces» Forums » General

Subject: First Impressions (hint: good ones) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys. I picked this up today after playing a few games, because I wanted to bring some challenge to the table which the base game didn't manage to. I' m happy to say that mission accomplished.

After altering the base game by customising the Mythos deck the game became a little harder but there was still room for improvement. (i kept this customisation while adding the expansion)

After adding this expansion the difficulty raised up a bit. Keep in mind that I tried it only once on solo mode just to see what happens, so there was only one investigator. I have to say that the new Mythos cards mean business. Monsters appear in greater numbers and doom tokens seem to come around faster. I used three investigators (yes I am happy to say that my two first ones died ) but the doom track filled up faster than my Elder Sign pile, so I finally lost to this game for the first time.

I really liked the blessed/cursed cards. The cursed ones cause you to be devoured if you become cursed twice, which is very likely considering that, that can happen via Mythos cards, penalties/rewards and tasks. So you have to be more strategic.

That's all for now. I will post the groups' impressions once there are some. Overall, good expansion. See ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a couple of two-player games yesterday.

We lost the first one to Azathoth. His card has too many monster symbols so when doom tokens came around new monsters would appear. The expanded Mythos deck is pretty damn good at adding doom tokens. We lost 14 to 9. It was pretty hard to move around because almost every Adventure Card had monsters on them.

In the second game we came out victorious against Hastur. He needs 11 doom tokens to appear and at the time he had 9 while we had gathered 11 and needed two more to win. Again the place was full of monsters but I managed to bring an Other World card to the game and the other player managed to beat it so we got the last to Elder Signs it awarded. Again this was pretty close and we got lucky at the end with an easy Other World Card.

Again the added challenge this expansion provides is very welcome. The game becomes a little more stressful than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abhoth is the toughest Ancient One. Try playing against him for even more challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Roland
Canada
flag msg tools
Stripping away the purchased Elder Signs is a big step in the right direction. Every game I've played prior to expansion has always been won with one or more purchased elder signs.

Overall I see they've increased the rewards for Other World cards - which makes them seem to have a point - especially as the players have a bunch of cards intended to help them get new other worlds into play but previously their rewards included a lot of net 0 gains. Still not sure how much of an impact this will have.

Curse seems to hit harder than bless benefits - which is a good balance given the original game's high edge to the players.

Plenty of new opportunities for investigators to get devoured.

And more than 2 ways to get allies - so I might actually see an ally other than Duke on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.