Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up to any one buying this expansion. It includes 2 exact copies of figures from the base game. Ana Tommy and Lil Healy. Same cards, same figures.

In my opinion that was a huge bummer to get the expansion and find that I paid for extra, useless copies of figures I already had.

The description for this expansion says 4 new figures, so I assumed (I know) that they would be different sculpts or card/powers. But they are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Just a heads up to any one buying this expansion. It includes 2 exact copies of figures from the base game. Ana Tommy and Lil Healy. Same cards, same figures.

In my opinion that was a huge bummer to get the expansion and find that I paid for extra, useless copies of figures I already had.

The description for this expansion says 4 new figures, so I assumed (I know) that they would be different sculpts or card/powers. But they are not.

Couple things... The expansion says it includes four new figures. That's what you got, four new figures. I take it what you thought that meant is that the four figures would be unique from the base set. I agree the wording could've been better but I don't think it was their intention to deceive you. Beyond that the figures are far from useless. Queen of the Tofus and King of the Gobballs are the only unique figures in the base set. All of the other figures you're allowed to take duplicates of for your team. I'm actually glad these figures are included in the expansions, so that way I don't have to buy another base set. Frakter and Victor Don Voom are both uniques in this expansion negating the need to buy another of this expansion for their duplicates. Personal opinion here but I think this expansion was well packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcnarenth wrote:
The expansion says it includes four new figures. That's what you got, four new figures.

Semantic ridiculousness aside, no one is going to read "new" in this instance as the opposite of "used".

laugh

That may apply in the case of eBay, craigslist, or BGG auction listings, but it certainly does not when it's being used to describe the contents of a game expansion.

- If an expansion for Mansions of Madness, Pathfinder Card Game, or LotR LCG says "4 new adventures" on the box, what will every single buyer expect to find?

- If Summoner Wars releases an expansion that says "4 new factions" what does that mean to prospective fans?

- A Ticket to Ride expansion promoted as containing "2 new maps"?

- If Eclipse, X-Wimg, Twilight Imperium, or Leviathans released an expansions set advertising "4 new ships" a grand total of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would expect to receive it and find exact reproductions of what they already owned therein.

The expansion may well be worth owning and the dupes may well be useful, but advertising it as 4 new figures is more than just "poor wording".

Not the least bit surprised that this just released expansion is already being offered at a discount today by Miniature Market. In fact, I believe this may be setting a record for the newest release to ever be sold as one of their Daily Deals, and that speaks volumes.

edit: I don't see "new" on the box or in the official descriptions on any sites selling the game, just the description here on BGG. So it looks like this is down to an error by the person that added it to the database. Submitting correction now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.