Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How many resources should you have in your deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson Wozniak
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know there is no hard and fast rule and can even fluctuate depending on what other cards you have in your deck, but as a general rule, how many resources should you have in a typical deck for a good balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there really isn't a good straight up answer. Just depends on what type of pods you got in a deck. Really the best thing to do is just play it and if you feel resource short take something out and find a pod with good resources in it.

I know that isn't much of an answer, but really it depends on the deck, faction and play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The oSets are somewhat self-correcting when it comes to resource generation. Typically, the more resource hungry sets tend to come with resource generators.

I almost think the gameplay is too fast and cards cycle too quick to look at things from a traditional resource curve perspective.

In a game where resources are more gradual and card draw is tighter (such as in Magic where you have a framework of building one new resource a turn and drawing a single card) it can be very important to ensure you keep building an additional resource each turn and maximizing your plays. The concept of Sligh decks and mana curves follow into that design - playing an escalated threat each turn (1 drop turn one, 2 drop turn two, 3 drop third turn, etc).

Star Wars doesn't really have that gradual escalation. Each player will have at least four resources from the get go, will be cycling their hand quite often, and you could have a first turn 5 drop and a fifth turn consisting of three 2 drops.

So how does one evaluate how many resource generators belong in a given deck?

Here's a solution based on the assumption you want the best chance of playing a resource every turn (without oversaturating resources):
1) Assume we want to build up our resources by one card roughly every turn
2) Assume we want to draw into a single resource in our opening hand, and we don't want to saturate our opening hand with too many resources (so we're aiming for the best porbability of getting just one)
3) Assume we're cycling our hand at a decent rate (for simplicity sake, we'll assume we see a new six cards every turn)

For the above, the magical number is 8. This is mapping out card draw probabilities (using HYPGEOMDIST) to the highest possible chance of drawing an opening hand with exactly one resource card in it (43%) [And overall, you'll draw at least one resource in a starting hand 77% of the time]. This applies to every sample of six cards from the deck, so taking the assumption that you cycle regularly, odds are you'll hit that resource every turn.

But it gets more complicated than that! The above doesn't take into account the mulligan, nor does it look at the total resource generation. Do we need to hit a resource every turn? Do we need to hit a certain threshold? How many 2+ objectives do we expect to have in play? How many effects are we using that may not generate resources but provide mechanism for that, such as The Bespin Exchange, The Almighty Sarlacc or Mobilize the Squadrons? (Or do we simply count those effects as resources?)

I suppose we need to start with evaluation on a deck-by-deck basis consisting of:
1) How many cards are you expecting to play each turn and what are the average costs of those cards?
2) What is the minimum available resources needed to play the most expensive card in the deck?
3) Average generation from the objectives themselves

From there, I suppose we could look at the odds of drawing a unit beyond the expected average starting resource generation and how many resources are needed to bridge that gap and then adjust based on the expected appearance of those units. We aren't expecting to play a 5 drop unit on turn 5, but if we expect to play it on turn two and only reliably have 4 resources on average amongst our objective start draws, we'll want to toss in eight resources to ensure it plays reliably enough.

I'm not quite sure where to begin modeling this. Dustin might have the better idea - play the deck and if you're having trouble playing out your cards due to resource pinch, adjust the pods until you feel you have hit the happy medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

Well, my rule of thumb is 6 resource producing cards that I don't intend to focus routinely for other things like combat or abilities.

I give a little for other cards with resource-producing abilities and I think of Tauntauns as worth something like a quarter of a resource.

But that's just me. I don't know what good players do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Wow.

Well, my rule of thumb is 6 resource producing cards that I don't intend to focus routinely for other things like combat or abilities.

I give a little for other cards with resource-producing abilities and I think of Tauntauns as worth something like a quarter of a resource.

But that's just me. I don't know what good players do.

That's actually a pretty good rule of thumb, to be honest. I would never run less than 4-6 unless a deck wasn't particularly resource-hungry, though there are builds like that. You'd like a resource generator in opening hand if possible, or at least after your first refresh/redraw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.