BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Any good stores in the Ottawa region? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Clermont
Canada
flag msg tools
Good Day,

My friends and I have gotten into board games over the last year and would need a bit of information. Currently we are purchasing most of our games online from a store in Toronto which has great prices but we end up having to pay 10+ dollars in shipping every time.

I saw there is an other post with the same type of query but it hasn't been updated in over a year. My question being, are there any good Brick and Mortar or Online stores located in the Ottawa region? I'd prefer to pick stuff up locally if the prices are similar to snakes and Lattes and not have to deal with the shipping(and waiting, i want my games now heh)

Thanks

Eric C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Online:

playtimesgamesonline

He will do local pickup in Ottawa. Sadly, however, his inventory isn't that great and his website is terrible. He adds games to his main page that he doesn't have in stock and the only way to find out if they are in stock is to add it to your cart. Annoying.

Brick:

The Comic Shoppe

Fandom II: The guys that work there and the man who runs the store is bloody awful. His customer service is dreadful. It is exactly like interacting with those basement dwelling Magic players (no offense, Magic guys!). Treats most women like they are idiots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
broken clock wrote:

Fandom II: The guys that work there and the man who runs the store is bloody awful. His customer service is dreadful. It is exactly like interacting with those basement dwelling Magic players (no offense, Magic guys!). Treats most women like they are idiots.

This is truly sad if this is the case. This used to be THE place to go in Ottawa. And that was partly owing to the friendly, helpful service. Havenèt been in myself for a while.
They are downtown on Laurier, so its worth a look.
162 Laurier Av W
(613) 236-2972

Do check out Toys on Fire, which I hope would have turned up in a search.
They have a facebook presence and a website here; http://www.toysonfire.ca/.
They are down in "Farr"haven , not centrally located, but worth the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Region: Canada: Ontario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph F
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thecultofthenew.com/ is based in Kichener-Waterloo, but I mention them because they offer free shipping over $150, have very quick turnaround times (I got my games within 3 business days), and they have some of the best prices that I have seen online in Canada.

http://www.germangames.com/ still beats them on price generally, but German has the $10 shipping flat rate that you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Online: playtime games; best prices I've seen but its kind of sketchy as you have to setup a time and place to meet the guy. No different than buying used stuff off kijiji I suppose.

Brick and Mortar:

Fandom II - excellent selection and reasonable to good prices. The customer service complaints are a little overblown - I've had good and mediocre experiences there, never anything completely awful.

Comic Book Shoppe (bank street) - modest selection, reasonable prices, good customer service. Would not recommend ordering games through them - takes months usually :/ There's another cbs in town on clyde ave or something - has a much larger selection than the bank st location.

Strategy games - good selection, terrible prices.

Wizards Tower (barrhaven) - great selection, reasonable prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
aitrus wrote:
Fandom II - excellent selection and reasonable to good prices. The customer service complaints are a little overblown - I've had good and mediocre experiences there, never anything completely awful.

My wife was in their shop looking to buy a gift for me. After receiving no help, even when asking for help, she asked the person behind the counter why they didn't want to help her and why they didn't want her money. The dude told my wife that helping her would be a waste of time, since she knows nothing about games and that he has more important things to do.

I went in one day and asked if he had any board games that had a similar feel to Twilight Imperium. He said: "I don't know, Carcassone?" and then went back to talking to his friend. I laughed thinking he was joking, and told him I was looking for something that had that 4x feel. He said: "listen, I'm a little busy right now, just check out the back of the boxes and look at the pictures."

My wife dealt with the owner and I dealt with an employee. No. The complaints are not overblown. They are spot fucking on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boutique FDB in Hull, 114 Blvd st-raymond
MultiZone in Gatineau, 140 blvd greber

Both are great stores! But what's very good is that if you are a member of Ludo-Outaouais Boardgame Club, we get the following rebates :

20% MultiZone
10% FDB + 10% PreOrders
10% Comic Book Shoppe
10% Fandom II

With the 20%, you get most games at Online prices, which is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good experiences at the Wizard's Tower in Barrhaven and the Comic Book Shoppe on Merivale road.
I've also seen a new shop, Kobold's Korner I think it was called. In Kanata. They had a good table with good prices at KanKon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Francis
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always had good experiences with The Comic Book Shoppe on Merivale.

I haven't been there in four years now as I no longer live in Canada. My last trip there was to pick up ASL Starter Kit 3. The guy behind the counter was very knowledgeable about the games they carry. He even talked about how happy he always is to meet another board gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
My wife dealt with the owner and I dealt with an employee. No. The complaints are not overblown. They are spot fucking on.

I've probably been to the store 20 or 30 times over the last 5 years and never had nor seen anything remotely comparable to your stories. The customer service isn't 5 stars or anything, it's average to bad. But frankly your tales there are too ludicrous to be believed - the old guy actually says to your wife "you know nothing about games you are a waste of my time"? And then the younger guy says to you "I'm too busy talking with my friends to help you".

The reality was probably more like the old guy asked what kind of game she was looking for and she said "i dont know". And the young guy was probably taking a delivery or helping another customer when you tried to talk to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ottawa has tons on awesome game stores:

Games For All (online based in Ottawa)
Playtime Games (online based in Ottawa)
Toys on Fire
Lost Marbles/Miss Tiggywinkles
Kobolds Corner
The Comic Book Shoppe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
Online: playtime games; best prices I've seen but its kind of sketchy as you have to setup a time and place to meet the guy. No different than buying used stuff off kijiji I suppose.

Nothing sketchy about it. He has a legitimate business number and uses the same Canadian distributors as others in the region. Meeting people is a courtesy service he provides so people don't have to pay for shipping. Also, unlike Kijiji sellers, he also stands behind his products.

You also have to take into consideration that this isn't a full-time job for him and he doesn't have a store front.

I do know the guy and have also purchased products from him and will continue to do so as long as he is in operation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
broken clock wrote:

I've probably been to the store 20 or 30 times over the last 5 years and never had nor seen anything remotely comparable to your stories. The customer service isn't 5 stars or anything, it's average to bad. But frankly your tales there are too ludicrous to be believed - the old guy actually says to your wife "you know nothing about games you are a waste of my time"? And then the younger guy says to you "I'm too busy talking with my friends to help you".

The reality was probably more like the old guy asked what kind of game she was looking for and she said "i dont know". And the young guy was probably taking a delivery or helping another customer when you tried to talk to him.

I shop at Fandom II a fair bit, and when the old guy is in a bad mood, he can be quite rude, so this doesn't really surprise me. Also, make sure you aren't there when he's getting ready to close...

But on a good day, he's reasonably friendly and informative. If you ask about war games or his contribution to the recent reprint of Twilight Struggle, he'll talk your ear off.

*edit* Anyway, see Jamie's post, above. He covers most (if not all) of the stores I shop at. I noticed he left off Wizard's Tower. I probably would too; I can't afford anything in that store. Even when they put something on clearance, it costs more than anywhere else. ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
aitrus wrote:
broken clock wrote:

I shop at Fandom II a fair bit, and when the old guy is in a bad mood, he can be quite rude, so this doesn't really surprise me. Also, make sure you aren't there when he's getting ready to close...

But on a good day, he's reasonably friendly and informative. If you ask about war games or his contribution to the recent reprint of Twilight Struggle, he'll talk your ear off.

*edit* Anyway, see Jamie's post, above. He covers most (if not all) of the stores I shop at. I noticed he left off Wizard's Tower. I probably would too; I can't afford anything in that store. Even when they put something on clearance, it costs more than anywhere else. ymmv.

Yeah, Fandom II does need to work on its customer service. Their prices are their redeeming feature. Its interesting because I used to shop there 30 years ago as a teenager and I remember the poor service from them then. I rarely shop there now. Just goes to show: treat that skinny, geeky kid customer with respect - they may have a real job and money some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McDougall
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been going to Fandom II on and off for over 30 years and never experienced the kind of rudeness described here. They've always been friendly and knowledgeable. They also have the best prices in town for a brick and mortar store.

I recently bought a game from PlaytimeGamesOnline and found Dave to be easy to deal with and friendly. He's a guy starting up a small internet business and as a courtesy, he offers local shoppers the chance to pick up their purchases directly from him. I appreciate that, and his prices are the lowest I've seen in Ottawa.

I've shopped at Wizard's Tower and The Comic Book Shoppe. Both have friendly, knowledgeable staff as well, but usually have slightly higher prices than Fandom II. They are more "event" friendly, running Magic and D&D Encounters events on premises. The nicer premises are reflected in their prices.

Toys on Fire is another store in Ottawa with a good selection of games however their prices are always higher than everyone else. They are sometimes referred to as "Prices on Fire".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
I go to the Wizards Tower in Barrhaven. Very helpful staff who take the time to find the things you are looking for.

They've also been...quite patient with answering my questions about Magic (...I'm having trouble finding a peeps to play with and am kinda shy about my n00bishness..).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aestolia Silverfalls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
aitrus wrote:

Comic Book Shoppe (bank street) - modest selection, reasonable prices, good customer service. Would not recommend ordering games through them - takes months usually :/ There's another cbs in town on clyde ave or something - has a much larger selection than the bank st location.

I've only ever had this problem ordering stuff from CBS if I'm ordering a Fantasy Flight game. That's FFG's fault not CBS's fault. They're pretty much back logged on everything because they push out so much stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe P
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlaytimeGamesOnline really does have the best prices for most stuff in the region. The only issue is that since he really is a one man show/small business, he can't sink a whole lot of his money in carrying a large inventory, so you may have to wait a week for a game to come in from the distributor, depending on how popular something is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CBS on Clyde was a special experience. I was completely ignored when I wanted to buy a cardboard box ($2). Gave them a second chance later on for some games ($200+), and was ignored again.
Since then I do not shop there anymore and do all my purchasing from playtimegamesonline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nobody's mentioned Games for All yet - https://gamesforall.ca/ - this is an online store that offers delivery or pick up in Barrhaven. I dealt with them recently and had absolutely no complaints.

It's worth noting that Wizard's Tower has reduced its boardgame prices. Whereas previously they had a mark-up of anywhere from 20% to 50%, their prices are now in line with what you can find everywhere else in Ottawa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Bales
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good way to see a bunch of them is to go to one of the upcoming events.

Geeky events coming up in Ottawa soon:
http://www.can-con.org - Oct 4-6
http://geekmarket.ca - Oct 19-20
http://toygameexpo.com - Nov 2-3

New Game/coffee shop:
http://www.monopolatte.com

I find Tiggy Winkles expensive in store - reasonable at booth's at the shows.

Games For All have great prices at the booth's at the show (I believer that they actually run the geek market and toy and game expo)

If you like chess or board games that are more like chess then
http://www.strategygames.ca
is a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe P
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarlbot wrote:

i think you meant:
http://www.cangames.ca/ - May 2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarlbot wrote:
A good way to see a bunch of them is to go to one of the upcoming events.

http://geekmarket.ca - Oct 19-20
http://toygameexpo.com - Nov 2-3

New Game/coffee shop:
http://www.monopolatte.com

Don't forget all the weekly or biweekly board game clubs in Ottawa:
- Kanata Board Game Club
- Ottawa Game Group (OGG)
- Orleans Game Group (also OGG)
- Ludo-Outaouais
- Meeple's Republic
- Ottawa Geek Social Club (OGSC; aka Royal Oak Mondays)
- Open gaming at the Comic Book Shoppe
- ... I'm probably forgetting some

And the Ludo-Outaouais Convention coming up in November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Castro
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I work for the parent company of Games for All (gamesforall.ca).

Games for All has a couple of extras not mentioned yet: it offers 15% discount on everything in the store (with a Premium Membership), has strong ties with the local community (running local events like Game Summit and Toy & Game Expo), and donates 10% of sales to the Games for Schools program.

Best of luck with your search, and I'm glad you joined this hobby. My wife and I discovered these newer board games while in university and haven't looked back since!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.