Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've made these Starcraft themed races and powers. I've posted the images and rules below. What I haven't done is added in the amount of race tokens you get for each race and power. I'm curious to know what values you'd assign to each of them and if you'd tweak any of the rules at all?
Cheers!

Mineral: Each time you conquer a region, roll the die. On a non-zero roll, place a mineral token in the conquered region. Each token still in place on your next turn earns you one point. If another player conquers the region in their turn, they take the point instead.

Vespene: Each time you conquer a region, roll the die. On a non-zero roll, place a vespene token in the conquered region. Each token still in place on your next turn earns you two points. If another player conquers the region in their turn, they take the point instead.

Xel'naga: Each time you conquer a region, roll the die. On a non-zero roll, take the Xel'naga token. At any point in the game you may play the Xel'naga token to make conquests at -2 for the entire turn.

Zerg: You control the Zerg Queen as if she were a normal race token. At the end of your turn the Zerg Queen spawns a creep tumor. Any square adjacent to the creep tumor can be conquered at -1 for the Zerg.
All creep tumors are removed when the Zerg go into decline.

Protoss: At the beginning of every turn you may place a Pylon on any square on the board. Your reinforcements may attack this region and then attack adjacent regions. The pylon remains until the region is conquered by another player but provides no additional defense.
All pylons are removed when the Protoss go into decline.

Terran: Each turn you may place a bunker on one of your regions. The bunker provides +1 defense while it remains in play. Bunkers stay in play until the region is conquered by another player or until the race goes into decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Overman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
I don't care for the rolling of the die so many times which is one reason I prefer this over Risk.

Mineral - For ever 2 regions (non occupied) you conquer you gain a mineral mine down. The mine adds +1 to the defense - also 1 extra VP at the end of your turn and can be conquered and stay on the board until the owner of the region goes in decline. (or it just stays on the board and the extra point can be a sought after region).

Vespene - Another that can be for every 2 regions (occupied or not or a combination) - rules are fine I think.

Xel'naga - I see this as really over-powering and would not want to play a game with this in it. (ie. imagine this with amazon or pixies)

Zerg - I like the idea of this though as with the zerg in the game too many becomes over powering so perhaps give them 4 and play it a few times to see how they do with other special powers. Though how are creep tumors dealt with by other players. How about just adjacent regions to an established queen - then no need for more tokens on the board.

Protoss - not bad could even give them a +1 VP per pylon since the pylons will be fairly few.

Terran - sounds like the trolls?!

Just my ideas on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Newell
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wwonka wrote:
I don't care for the rolling of the die so many times which is one reason I prefer this over Risk.

I know what you mean. Rolling every time you conquer a region might be too much. I do want it to be random to some degree though. How about:

Mineral - At the end of your turn, roll the die. You receive as many mineral tokens as you roll and place them in your regions (no more than one per square). At the start of your next turn remove them from the board and receive one point per mineral token you take. If another player conquers one of these regions on their turn and can hold the region for a whole turn then they receive the token instead.

Vespene - Same again but each is worth two points.

wwonka wrote:
Xel'naga - I see this as really over-powering and would not want to play a game with this in it. (ie. imagine this with amazon or pixies)

I don't see this as any more overpowering than "Were-" since that has the chance to happen more than once (even with Amazons or Pixies). With this power, you might get the power and even then you only get to do it once, you just get more choice of when.
To avoid the excessive dice rolling I'd probably change it to one roll at the end of your turn and on a non-zero roll you get the Xel-naga token. How does that sound?

Zerg - Thematically I quite like the idea of many creep tumors all over the place. They can easily be removed by other players by conquering the region. Again, I don't see this as any more overpowering than say "Commando" which gives you a -1 to attack all the time.

Protoss - Not really fussed about giving away points for pylons. The point of "proxy pylons" in the Starcraft is that they give the Protoss player the ability to attack anywhere on the map very easily but once noticed, the pylon can easily be removed.

wwonka wrote:
Terran - sounds like the trolls?!

It does I suppose. How about each bunker gives a x2 multiplier to defense? 1 race token = +2 defense. 2 race tokens = +4 defense etcetc

wwonka wrote:
Just my ideas on them.

Thankyou for them! I welcome any more suggestions especially as to the number of units each player should get with the races and powers. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea. Since Small World itself is rethemed, I look forward to other themes that can be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.