Subject: Does organized play encourage you to buy a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I used to play Magic a lot, but it got too expensive. Especially when I was drafting every day in Magic: online. I never really figured out why I liked that game so much, but I knew I couldn't financially support playing the game the way I wanted to play it.

My friend loved the original Netrunner game and when Fantasy Flight's reworking came out, he greatly encouraged me to get it so we could play against each other. I did and I liked it, but was not rabid like he was. I got a couple of expansions and let some pass me by. We played casually every now and then. A few months ago, he talked me into going to the local regionals because he didn't want to go alone. I had a blast. The competitive environment made it very fun. I have since picked up everything and have gone to more tournaments and events and I like the game better than ever.

The same FLGS that holds the Netrunner tournaments also rotates other FFG LCG games through the cycle. One week they do Star Wars, the next AGOT, and X-Wing. I have picked up Star Wars packs, planning to go to one of those events and I am really tempted to get some X-Wing stuff to try that out.

I find that I really enjoy the competitive environments, but also just the nature of players that play in organized events. I like the tenor of the message boards, with in-depth consideration of gameplay, list-tweaking, and examination of competitive ideas.

Anyone else feel the way I do? Does substantial organized play encourage anyone else to buy a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that anything that gets you playing more will encourage you to buy more. Even if you don't play and only watch, just by being around it more, you are more likely to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not interested in organized play. That tends to cause a game to become a lifestyle game for some people and I prefer to play a large variety of games rather than focus on one or two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
While I appreciate focused analytical discussion of games, I have no interest in organised or tournament play. Neither organised play or analytical discussion have much effect on the games I buy or play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Substantial organized play outright discourages me.

I have a real budget. Wife, kid, house, non-profit jobs, etc.

Organized play demands upgrades. Demands expansions. Demands endless supply of money.

When I see 13 expansions gulp next to a core game at my FLGS, I walk on.

$50 initial max buy in, replay value, and maybe 1-3 expansions (at the most), now you've got my consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what kind of organized play it is. If the organized play comes from players like chess, scrabble or backgammon there won't be much incentive to purchase except strategy books. If the play comes from manufacturers like Magic, Warhammer or Netrunner there will be much more incentive to consume their goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to be way too heavy into MTG myself (GPs, PTs, etc). It got way too stressful. The worst part was that the people you'd deal with at that level are complete douchebags and act like they have no life outside of it, which sucks the fun out of it. Therefore, heavy-duty organized play now turns me off. That turned me off when considering whether to play Android: Netrunner.

However, I am doing the OP events with Star Trek Attack Wing and LOVE it. It's not uber-competitive and is more casual, yet with great prizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
For the most part I haven't met many douchebags from Anr organized play. A couple of people that take it too seriously and get bent out of shape when their opponent gets lucky. It'scer tainly not at the Magic level yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
It's not something I care about, either in video games or board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game, but for anything like CCG's, mini games, etc Oragnised Play is what makes the game fun. As a casual game I just wouldn't bother.

But then, I'm a very competitive gamer, and have played lots of games to nationals levels, some to Pro Tour. It's the OP that I play for - not pottering around casually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have learned games so I could participate in a tournament at WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To interpret the question perhaps more generally than the OP intended, yes. I don't play collectible games or participate in tournaments, but I do attend a number of gaming groups that have regular (weekly, monthly or quarterly) meetups and will often purchase games that I am introduced to at these events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Tim above I don't see the question being restricted to games where you have to buy expansions to remain competitive.

At some cons in Britain there are lots of tournaments for various games, but unlike the really structured events I've seen mentioned at some US cons these are usually of the form "if you play a game of this during the con fill out a results sheet, at the end we'll announce the results". The scoring formula is usually to total up a player's score (whether by awarding points depending on ranking in a game, total VPs or some other system) and divide it by number of games played +1 to eliminate people who've only played once or twice. Popular games will require about 6 good results to win the tournament. The only formal event at the Cons I go to is the Diplomacy, which is too hard to get a game organised without formal structure. I never bother, as I like to vary what I play too much to get 5 games of Puerto played in 3 days, a large minority do make the effort though.

When asking if people wanted tournaments at MidCon (a convention I help organise) there was more people saying no than either yes or don't care, which was surprising as there was no compulsion to be involved even if playing the appropriate game. I also offered the 18XX players a trophy if they wanted to record their results and score them, but they had no interest in being declared The UK 18XX Champion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PaulinTheLion wrote:
I also offered the 18XX players a trophy if they wanted to record their results and score them, but they had no interest in being declared The UK 18XX Champion.

One of the (smaller reasons) I've considered attending Midsumcon is the uttter lack of a tournament. The same attribute has been a (minor) dissuasion against attending CRC, Portland or the other American 18xx conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
Substantial organized play outright discourages me.

I have a real budget. Wife, kid, house, non-profit jobs, etc.

Organized play demands upgrades. Demands expansions. Demands endless supply of money.

When I see 13 expansions gulp next to a core game at my FLGS, I walk on.

$50 initial max buy in, replay value, and maybe 1-3 expansions (at the most), now you've got my consideration.

People who care about winning are usually good, and have the time to practice. Me with demands doesn't typically fare well against such people.

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cote
United States
Bellows falls
VT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! Doesn't necessarily have to be a Collectible game. But if there is a group getting together regularly to play a game, and I can work it into the schedule - it's a great investment. I might buy a game that I really like, and then only find time to play it once a year due to.. well, life. But if there is group playing regularly at my FLGS, I will get more mileage out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repetition and familiarity are two things human brains are attracted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think organized play can certainly generate interest in some games. We run a series of Board Game Challenge Tournaments at our FLGS. We play various different board games over the course of a year. A different one each month. No expansions just base games. We mix in popular classics with newer games. We do keep standings over the course of the year, but it is a casual group that plays regularly and the drop ins enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

Does this result in games getting bought? I believe it does. The players are exposed to new games (whether it be actual new games or new to them games) If they like them...they get bought at the store (They always have a few copies for sale at each event) and played again on our regular game night.

For myself... yes organized play has led me to buy games, I might not have normally bought. A local tournament, or an into gaming event has drawn me in. Also local conventions is where I have tried some great new games, that eventually end up in my collection! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphing metas turn me off of a game. If I hear about a new expansion that's going to radically change the meta, it's game over.

Organized play plays no part in my consideration of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I have learned games so I could participate in a tournament at WBC.

I have purchased games so I could participate in a tournament at WBC. For exmple, the first year Dominion was a WBC tournament, the number of games was insufficient for the number of players. The registration line was long enough for me to buy the game from a vendor, get back in line, and organize the cards. Of course we have played it many times since.

Generally I do not like expansions, although I often like new games in a series, such as the Ticket to Ride or Command and Combat families. Dominion's neverending expanasions make me less likely to stay with a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually tend to shy away from organized play things at places like FLGS. I tend to view games like that like I viewed MtG. While I have enjoyed Android: Netrunner, I was really scared of it and X-Wing when I saw everyone at the FFG event center playing it (Sure, that is offset by being AT FFG, but when %70 of the people in there are playing it, I got worried.)

That said, if I made this cycle with my group of friends, I would be all over it. If I could, I would play Tichu twice a week with friends. While not the best example, I would support organized play if my friends supported it.

Competitive things don't push me into games so much. I played Magic to play with friends, and if I played other games at events, I might buy them to share them with friends. Honestly, the games I buy are usually ones I play first. So if a place was letting me try Netrunner with prebuilt decks and such, I might enjoy it enough to buy it and play with friends. Looking at my collection, there are very few games that I have bought without trying first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoyed a small competition I entered, which involved people bringing an assortment of games, the competitors voting on which games to use, and then playing the top 9 (we actually ran out of time and only played the top 6 or so), with the top 4 people advancing to the final (the top voted game). I hadn't played any of the games before but one, and came dead last, but had a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.