Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aces and Eights

Once again Jack Leyland managed to humiliate half the 'Verse with his masterful poker skills emptying the pockets of quite a few pilots and traders.
It's time for payback...

Badger has an invite to a poker tournament being held on the
Aces and Eights orbitting Anson's World and he's willing to sell it to a talented someone if it means Jack'll finally be taken down a peg or two!

Goal 1: Earn the Invite

Badger wants to see your skills at cards (as well as a few credits) before handing over the invite!

Requirement: Be solid with Badger

- Turn in (discard) either 5 Misbehave Cards of the same suit or 4 Misbehave cards with at least 1 of each suit.
- Pay $2000

To acquire a Misbehave Card, achieve a "Proceed" by any means other than using the keyword written across the bottom. You have to decide immediately after achieving the "Proceed" whether you want to keep the card. You may have up to five cards face-up in front of you and may discard any at any time. You must allow your opponents to see which cards you've collected at all times.

Goal 2: Buy In!
The invite isn't enough! You must be prepared to play some high-stakes poker!

- Have at least $10000

Goal 3: Beat Jack at his Own Game

It's not enough to just beat 'im, you gotta' outbluff and shame him!

Requirements: minimum of $2000

- Misbehave 2 Times - Before revealing the first card, your opponents can pay to add additional Misbehaves to this! Each additional card costs $500. The active player can not back out once they've announced their intent to attempt the goal.

- Negotiation Skill test: 11 Bluff
1-8 Lose $5000 (or the rest of your money), Attempt Botched
9-10 Lose $2000, Attempt Botched
11 Successful bluff!

You shamed Jack as you win the tournament with nothing but a Queen high! Best to collect your winnings and get outta' there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the surface... I love it! I like that you made use of the suits. Fits the theme of the Goal well. I also like how others can pay to get in your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played various versions of this scenario fours times with my wife and it appears to work well.

My main goal behind this was to force tough decisions and maybe some risks.

Collecting the misbehave cards can be tricky: Do you go for the flush or the one of each suit? Do you risk a skill test to acquire the card or bypass it with the keyword? Do you bother trying to collect hearts too since your opponent already has 3 in front of her leaving only 6 more in the deck?
Do you rush to attempt a lot of Niska missions with their high misbehave requirements but "Pound of Flesh" risks or just take some easier Badger or Patience jobs with only 1 or 2 Misbehaves? And how about intentionally botching the job so that you can reattempt it on your next turn and hope for the cards you need?

The $10000 isn't that hard to acquire especially since you'll have been doing illegal jobs for the misbehave cards. In testing, we've had from 10k - 18k credits after completing goal 1.

I originally had goal 3 just be a gauntlet of 6 misbehave cards, but that wasn't much fun. Allowing your opponents to gang up and pay to make it a gauntlet is nice!

And the 11 negotiate test is definitely achievable. I would prefer if it's high enough that the player still needs to roll for it (going with the gambling theme) but nothing is stopping the player from loading up with fake IDs and having Inara and all the other companions to pile on the negotiate icons.

Running time: My wife and I can complete one of the supplied story cards in just over an hour. This story takes us about 90-120min to complete.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Almost forgot: Jack Leland and the Aces and Eights were borrowed from the Firefly RPG: http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Aces_and_Eights

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
On the surface... I love it! I like that you made use of the suits. Fits the theme of the Goal well. I also like how others can pay to get in your way.

I really wished the Misbehave Deck was a full 52 (or 54 with some Jokers) and included values. There's all kinds of things one could've done with that with players trying to acquire a better hand.

And I'm eager to try this with 4 players since as Misbehave cards are acquired (especially the easy ones that have just "Proceed"), the deck becomes tougher to get through!

The last game we played, my wife was making her goal 3 attempt with a crew of 11 and a 12 negotiate skill! I only had $11k so I only paid to add two misbehaves seeing only 5 on the draw stack. She made it for the win! That unbeatable "Hands of Blue" card was at the bottom of the deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Geistlinger
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this!

I'm going to add this one to my box immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wonderful work. Can't wait to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patricula wrote:
Allowing your opponents gang up and pay to make it a gauntlet is nice!

That's a piece of genius there. Talk a bout player interaction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! thumbsup

Would be neat if we had a Story Card template to put it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Great job! thumbsup

Would be neat if we had a Story Card template to put it on.

If there's enough positive feedback and maybe some more testing, I'll do my best to put this in proper "card" format in Gimp.

And thanks for all the great feedback so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.

I think it would be cool if adding additional cards carried additional cost (raising the stakes). first player pays 500, next 600 and keep going around, once a player drops they can't add more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice going! Yes, I recognized the character/ship from the RPG, which I got for the 'Verse background, but never played. I'll print this scenario out too.

I'll be interested to see how the designers plan to use those misbehave card suits in the future Officially. Maybe the cards in the first expansion will complete the deck (or move towards it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it, but I have a few questions.

If I've completed goal 2, I'm sitting on at least 10k, yes? So if you get to goal 3 before I do, what's to stop me from making you run a gauntlet of 16+ extra misbehave cards (since I only need 2K for the 2rd goal myself)?

Is there any way to incorporate the suits after the first goal? It's a very cool idea that sort of disappears.

Great job, overall! Even with my quibbles, probably the best custom story I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
what's to stop me from making you run a gauntlet of 16+ extra misbehave cards (since I only need 2K for the 2rd goal myself)?

Absolutely nothing!

If they don't have River Tam, you could spend all your money to ensure they hit that unbeatable Hands of Blue misbehave card!

Of course, they can do the same to you.

If you've gathered the crew and gear to make sure you auto-succeed the bluff check, then you're pretty much unbeatable unless everyone gangs up and makes you run a monster gauntlet of misbehave cards (which could result in crew dying or being disgruntled off your ship!).

Thanks for the feedback!

From all the times I've played this scenario (~8 times), 90% of the play time is getting the right set of cards (Goal 1). Goal 2 is almost always completed immediately completed because of the number of jobs completed for Goal 1.

Again, I wish the misbehave cards were a complete poker deck! There is so much more we could work with then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I can offer some constructive criticism, while the ability to "misbehave block" is interesting, and in a cordial game, it probably doesn't get excessive, in terms of general balance, I think it's too potentially crippling.

I might go with something like "each player may spend 5K to add an additional Misbehave or 10K to add 2 Misbehave." Otherwise, if someone is truly playing to win, there's absolutely no reason not to force defeat.

Alternately (or additionally), if you find that Goal #2 is completed simultaneous with Goal #1, why not change the middle goal to something else?

In terms of "flow", your Story seems somewhat like Harken's Folly... at least with respect to the first and last goals. In Harken's Folly, though, the middle goal is distinct, clear-cut, and has ramifications.

Rather than getting a stake, what of Goal 2 were something like "Get Leland's Attention," where you need to go to a specific location and accomplish a goal to successfully compete a "qualifying" game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: instead of going to a specific planet, have a marker for the Aces & Eights. Catch it at a planet to join the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selenite wrote:
Suggestion: instead of going to a specific planet, have a marker for the Aces & Eights. Catch it at a planet to join the tournament.

I love this idea! The game moves from planet to planet for each "tournament" it could also force the game to move away on a failed attempt, since the "tournament" still happened. It might encourage someone to try and throw in to make someone fail, if it brings the tourney closer to themselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Porter
United States
New Bern
North Carolina
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
I might go with something like "each player may spend 5K to add an additional Misbehave or 10K to add 2 Misbehave." Otherwise, if someone is truly playing to win, there's absolutely no reason not to force defeat.

I don't know if it was a typo in the original post or not, but I agree with this. $5k seems more like it, not $500. If people already have $10-15k+ going into goal 2, and you're attempting goal 3, they can just throw down 20+ misbehaves on you. Imagine if three other people did that on your turn. There aren't enough cards in the deck!. That's just ridiculous and impossible. It's possible, but unlikely you're going to be able to succeed even with 10+ cards on you. At least making the extra cards expensive makes the other people question whether or not they want to throw all that money out. At $500 a pop it just seems there's no risk for them at all. Or maybe a compromise, $2500. It wouldn't drain the other players, but it would still be enough that it might dip them below the goal 2 requirement, however it might be worth it to prevent you from winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:
selenite wrote:

I love this idea! The game moves from planet to planet for each "tournament" it could also force the game to move away on a failed attempt, since the "tournament" still happened. It might encourage someone to try and throw in to make someone fail, if it brings the tourney closer to themselves!

I chose Anson's World since it was the furthest from Badger and even with the best engine, a +1 burn upgrade, and Wash you still need a full turn to fly there.

Not really sure why that seemed important at the time...

The moving tournament is a pretty neat idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buzzard31581 wrote:
gwek wrote:

I don't know if it was a typo in the original post or not, but I agree with this. $5k seems more like it, not $500. If people already have $10-15k+ going into goal 2, and you're attempting goal 3, they can just throw down 20+ misbehaves on you. Imagine if three other people did that on your turn. There aren't enough cards in the deck!. That's just ridiculous and impossible. It's possible, but unlikely you're going to be able to succeed even with 10+ cards on you. At least making the extra cards expensive makes the other people question whether or not they want to throw all that money out. At $500 a pop it just seems there's no risk for them at all. Or maybe a compromise, $2500. It wouldn't drain the other players, but it would still be enough that it might dip them below the goal 2 requirement, however it might be worth it to prevent you from winning.

$500 was not a typo and yes, if people team up they could throw the whole deck+ at you. This is the last chance your opponents have to stop you from winning.

Maybe it's just the style that my group plays but we tend to fly with full crews with a full compliment of equipment and upgrades so we're able to "Succeed" 90% of the misbehave cards we encounter.

I like all this feedback.

This story definitely needs some fine tuning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My fiance and I tried this tonight, and we think the story's pretty solid and definitely creative! Took us about three hours to complete because when we normally play, we stay clear of Niska. Took us about 45mins to realize he has all the good misbehave missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played this and enjoyed it very much. Things that could make this harder (as if it isn't hard enough) is to require that you complete the job before keeping the misbehave cards, but it played fine as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Just playing it for the first time, and I'm gambling at Anson's World while the other player is trying to stop me. We have two questions:

1. Goal 2: Do you have to pay the $2,000 or just show you have it to get in the game?

2. Goal 3: If you Misbehave successfully but then fail the Negotiate 11 Check and Botch, do you only have to Negotiate on your next turn, or start Misbehaving all over again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
arrrh Just playing it for the first time, and I'm gambling at Anson's World while the other player is trying to stop me. We have two questions:

1. Goal 2: Do you have to pay the $2,000 or just show you have it to get in the game?

2. Goal 3: If you Misbehave successfully but then fail the Negotiate 11 Check and Botch, do you only have to Negotiate on your next turn, or start Misbehaving all over again?

1. Just show that you have it.

2. Like job cards, you need to re-misbehave on your next attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me That is, myself
msg tools
buzzard31581 wrote:
gwek wrote:

They could throw a bunch of cards at you, but then you could accept an early Attempt botched, then try again next turn with them having spent a chunk of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen Nicodemus
msg tools
My husband, son, and I decided to make our own story card. We've played it a few times and enjoy it so I thought I'd add it to the list here.

http://notionnexus.com/index.php/ponderings-and-thoughts/247...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.