9 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy the op kit minus the krayton? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Marsh

South Carolina
msg tools
So I can't play in any dominion war month one event due to work. Should I buy the op stuff in the aftermarket? How effective is the ds9 and how important are the elite dice? Sorry I know this has come up but I still haven't been able to play so I'm still learning. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
The elite die is useful, but by no means crucial. I don't think that the pieces are worth the current ebay cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Connolly
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Check with the store you normally play in to see if they have any left. They may be willing to give the stuff to you if your a normal customer. I know the store I am running the tournament for is saving the op stuff for new players that are getting into the game after the 1st month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the price.

This is the only time to get the Attack die but it's only ONE of several resources that are coming out for the game. Since you can only assign one resource to your fleet, it's hard to say if it will remain attractive in the future considering we are still getting 5 more of them (one in each OP event).

Is the DS9 token nice to have? Definately. However, it looks like the DS9 token will be available again in Month 6 so it may not hold its value very well and if you can wait until March of next year, you'll be able to pick one up for likely very little. Plus from what we've read, the DS9 token is something that needs to be agreed upon by both playes and you need to agree upon how to place it since it does not move.

Do you like having different map elements at your disposal? That's all that's left really. I'm a junky for ways to change the battlefield so the map elements were really the main thing I wanted from each month. I like having the Wormhole and the self-replicating mines to use in games.

So with those three things in mind, you need to determine how much each of those items are worth to you. Also, if all you are after is the DS9 token, shoot me a PM. I have an extra as my son and I played in an event and I really cannot imagine us ever needing two to run in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing about DS9 being in month 6 is that to play month 6 you need to accumulate ~ 13 pts of wins prior to that. (My current understanding from our store judge)

Not sure what points are assigned to a win, 2nd, etc, but if my month one is any indication its no month 6 for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
The only thing about DS9 being in month 6 is that to play month 6 you need to accumulate ~ 13 pts of wins prior to that. (My current understanding from our store judge)

Not sure what points are assigned to a win, 2nd, etc, but if my month one is any indication its no month 6 for me...

That sounds off to me......

=========================
STAR TREK: ATTACK WING The Dominion War Score Sheet Instructions
For The Dominion War Month 1 through 5, all players receive the following Battle Points:

One (1) Point for Attending the Event
One (1) Point per LOSS
Two (2) Points per WIN
Two (2) Points per BYE
Three (3) Points for winning the Event

Keep a running tally of your players' total Battle Points. This information will be VERY IMPORTANT for the
Month 6 Final Event. Players need to accumulate 12 Battle Points in Months 1 through 5 to be eligible for
the Month 6 Tournament
=========================

So attending and going 0-3 gets you 4 points. (unless your Venue is altering the deal......pray they don't alter it any furth......no wait that's something else )

But onto the topic at hand, DS sorted it out quite well.

I have the Elite Attack Die and it's not an instant play...........there are many better/comparable options right now. It's nice to have options though.

But you have to decide if it's worth it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:

Not sure what points are assigned to a win, 2nd, etc, but if my month one is any indication its no month 6 for me... :(

It's based on your overall points, regardless of wins. So if you just attend 3 of the events and lost every battle, you'd be eligible for month 6. 3 points total for the 3 losses, plus the 1 participation point = 4 default points per month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elite Attack Die is nice, but as others have stated its not a game-changing resource. I won our event without it (even though we were allowed to use it). Deep Space Nine is good to have for a scenario, but other than that it probably won't see much play. But if you see them for a great price you still may consider picking them up.

Now the Command Tokens resource is another story. It's hard to say right now, but from the looks of things that one is going to be used quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got the points sorted out, and after winning Month 2, I think I'm eligible now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.