Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the latest session report for my geeklist The Summer of Fun.

Michael was off listening to Black Veil Brides in her bedroom which left Calvin, Robyn and myself to re-enact the 1950 World Cup that was held in Brazil.

This World Cup had an unusual format. There should have been sixteen teams divided in to four groups, but a number of factors affected this. Germany and Japan were not allowed to attempt qualification, and a large number of nations behind the Iron Curtain withdrew before qualification began. Several South American, Asian and European teams withdrew during qualification. Two teams withdrew after they’d qualified. Of the two nations invited to replace these final withdrawals, one refused. After the draw had been made for the group stage of the World Cup, two more teams withdrew, leaving thirteen teams participating. Rather than rearrange the groups into a more balanced format or try and find other nations to take part, the World Cup went ahead as it was.

And it was like this....

Calvin pulled the chits for Italy, Switzerland, Mexico, Paraguay and Bolivia. No top teams and three of the lowest.

Robyn got Brazil, Spain, Yugoslavia and Chile, giving her the historic winners and another top team.

This left me with Uruguay, Sweden, England and USA, almost as strong a start as Robyn.

Group 1 pitted Robyn’s strongest two teams against two of Calvin’s teams. Robyn didn’t have to put too much effort in to get one of her teams through as Calvin had pretty much written off his chances in this group. Although he had two teams, they were the worst two in the group. After all the cards had been played, the dice awarded half a goal to each of the four teams and the results were as follows:

Brazil 3 Mexico 0
Yugoslavia 0 Switzerland 1
Yugoslavia 0 Mexico 0
Brazil 2 Switzerland 1
Brazil 4 Yugoslavia 0
Switzerland 2 Mexico 0

As you can see, Calvin briefly toyed with the idea of getting Switzerland through, but Robyn wanted Brazil to proceed and put Yugoslavia to the sword to ensure their progress. Brazil topped the table with 6 points, Switzerland were 2nd with 4 points, then Mexico and Yugoslavia with a point each.

Group 2 had Robyn’s remaining two teams against two of mine. Being English, I always like to see England progress if possible, regardless of whether it makes sense from a game perspective, so I spent quite a bit of effort to get them through. It probably helped that I knew my best team, Uruguay, was pretty much guaranteed to get through regardless so I could afford the extra time in this group. Robyn put up a good fight as she really wanted to get Spain in to the final pool. The dice favoured her, with Spain being the only team awarded anything, getting half a goal.

England 0 Chile 0
Spain 1 USA 0
Spain 4 Chile 0
USA 0 England 1
Spain 2 England 3
Chile 0 USA 0

The extra half goal didn’t actually change anything, and for once an England penalty actually mattered. England went through with 5 points, Spain on 4 points, then Chile on 2 points and USA on 1 point.

Group 3 only had three teams, my Sweden against Calvin’s Italy and Paraguay. This was probably Calvin’s best chance as Italy are a blue team, but Sweden are stronger. It was a hard group for me to keep track of what with my battle against Robyn in group 2, but the dice helped giving Sweden and Paraguay half a goal each.

Sweden 3 Italy 2
Sweden 1 Paraguay 1
Italy 2 Paraguay 0

So although the dice gave Paraguay a draw against Sweden, it wasn’t enough as they also gave Sweden the win over Italy. Sweden progressed on 3 points, with Italy 2nd on 2 points and Paraguay on 1.

Group 4 was a pretty straightforward affair. Bolivia are always going to find it hard to proceed in this group as they are the lowest ranked team playing against the highest ranked team. Calvin did play an attack tile to try and draw my attention away from the other groups, but it was never going to be enough. I can’t remember what the dice were for group 4, but as you can see above Uruguay were 1-0 up before anything was rolled and there’s only one white face out of all twenty four possible colours on the dice and about eight black ones, so believe me when I say Uruguay progressed easily.

So the final four teams were Brazil, Uruguay, Sweden and England. Not only were these three of the four teams that progressed to the final round historically, but three of the four were mine.

Happy dance!

Poor Calvin had failed to get any teams past round 1.

Robyn was going to find it hard in the final pool. It was her Brazil against my Uruguay/Sweden/England behemoth. I realised it was best to play to my strengths despite my desire to see England win, and used them mainly to guarantee a win for Uruguay. Lots of big cards were played in the Uruguay/Brazil game which was most likely to be the deciding match. The dice were pretty neutral, giving Uruguay and Brazil an extra goal per match, and England got a half goal.

Uruguay 2 England 0
Brazil 3 Sweden 0
Uruguay 2 Sweden 0
Brazil 3 England 1
Sweden 0 England 2
Uruguay 7 Brazil 6

Final table
Uruguay 6pts
Brazil 4pts
England 2pts
Sweden 0pts

So, although Robyn was the runner-up, I was first, third and fourth!

Calvin had wandered off by this time, so I had to set up the final shot of the top four teams all by myself.

I think it was worth the effort though, don’t you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
Calvin pulled the chits for Italy, Switzerland, Mexico, Paraguay and Bolivia. No top teams and three of the lowest.

Robyn got Brazil, Spain, Yugoslavia and Chile, giving her the historic winners and another top team.

This left me with Uruguay, Sweden, England and USA, almost as strong a start as Robyn.
Actually, Uruguay pulled off one of the most historic wins by defeating Brazil 2-1 in the final last game of the World Cup. (Well, it was a final of sorts as Sweden and Spain couldn't win the world cup no matter the result in their final match of the final group.) So you had both the winners and the bronze medallists in your draw, and Robyn had the runners-up and the fourth placed team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. In my defence, I was going by memory and I haven't looked at the actual results for the 1950 tournament for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.