Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: This makes me a little angry... [P] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Lois Lerner "retired" from the IRS today after an IRS investigation found her "negligant in duties" re: the tea party IRS scandal.

But, she's been on PAID LEAVE since MAY!

So, she's basically gotten 5 months of pay while doing nothing, since she didn't resign when the scandal initially broke.

I don't know why this makes me angry, but it does.

If you're placed on administrative leave pending an investigation for negligence of duties, why can't your pay be held and rescinded if you're found guilty?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and she also gets retirement and her government pension...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
$177K a year for 5 months is $73,750 pre-tax she collected from tax payers when she should have been fired...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
/end rant
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
If you're placed on administrative leave pending an investigation for negligence of duties, why can't your pay be held and rescinded if you're found guilty?

Because Administrative Leave by definition is leave with pay and benefits.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's possible a person who is put on Administrative Leave is innocent, and by denying them pay, you hurt them financially.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
And this method avoids even more costly lawsuits about leave without pay and damages should she be found not liable.

Also, Government.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like toast.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's all fine and dandy for a couple of weeks.

But 5 months?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they to be considered innocent for only a set number of weeks? Perhaps a thorough investigation took that long, your issue should be with that, not administrative leave.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue is with a 5 month long administrative leave.

Put me on administrative leave at 177k a year for 5 months.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
My issue is with a 5 month long administrative leave.

Put me on administrative leave at 177k a year for 5 months.


Get a job that pays 177k per year and then committ some subtle crimes and get caught.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
My issue is with a 5 month long administrative leave.

Put me on administrative leave at 177k a year for 5 months.


Get a job that pays 177k per year and then committ some subtle crimes and get caught.


I have part 2 and 3 down, it's 1 that's the problem...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Oh, and she also gets retirement and her government pension...

Why wouldn't she? She worked in civil service for 30 years. You think her pension should be axed because?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
Oh, and she also gets retirement and her government pension...

Why wouldn't she? She worked in civil service for 30 years. You think her pension should be axed because?


You can lose your pension if you're fired for cause, which she would have been if she didn't pre-empitively "retire".

We'll see, but if legal charges are pressed and she is convicted of crimes she should lose her pension IMO.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
jmilum wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
Oh, and she also gets retirement and her government pension...

Why wouldn't she? She worked in civil service for 30 years. You think her pension should be axed because?


You can lose your pension if you're fired for cause, which she would have been if she didn't pre-empitively "retire".

We'll see, but if legal charges are pressed and she is convicted of crimes she should lose her pension IMO.

She is still entitled to her pension if fired due to unacceptable performance, but not misconduct or delinquency. Unacceptable performance is distinguished from misconduct or delinquency, which require culpable wrongdoing.

Quote:
The IRS found that Lerner, who led the agency’s unit that reviewed requests for tax exemptions, mismanaged her department and was "neglectful of duty" but found no evidence of political bias, the aide said.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing the IRS never makes mistakes, lies, deliberately misconstrues information, or makes biased political decisions, because then we could trust the internal investigation to be perferctly accurate!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The review board was put together by the new Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Daniel Werfel. If you just plan to discount any investigation findings, then I suppose there's nothing to discuss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
The review board was put together by the new Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Daniel Werfel. If you just plan to discount any investigation findings, then I suppose there's nothing to discuss.


*Internal* investigations, yes.

You don't think an internal investigation has any pressure to downplay any abuses? Especially when the whole organization has been lying about them from the beginning?

You're a lot more trusting then I am...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think they would want to come clean and place the blame where it needs to go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't they be interested in a scapegoat if they were very out of sorts? I mean I'm not available this time...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
jmilum wrote:
The review board was put together by the new Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Daniel Werfel. If you just plan to discount any investigation findings, then I suppose there's nothing to discuss.




???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

But, she's been on PAID LEAVE since MAY!

So, she's basically gotten 5 months of pay while doing nothing?


I think you should be upset that she made $180K per year for the past decade WHILE DOING NOTHING!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.