GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Imperial vs. Caylus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are brain burning and for many, the perfect game. If you have played both, which do you prefer, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you didn't know this, but the Swiss Bankers and the Satan's Provosts are rival boardgame gangs with a long history of shockingly violent clashes. There's no way anyone with any sense of self preservation would play both games!

In his book Swiss Bankers, Hunter S. Thompson wrote:
Many of their "assault victims" are people who have seen too many Western movies; they are victims of the John Wayne complex, which causes them to start swinging the moment they sense any insult. This is relatively safe in some areas of society, but in game stores frequented by outlaw boardgamers it is the worst kind of folly. "They're always looking for somebody to challenge them," said a San Francisco policeman. "And once you're involved with them, it's all or nothing. A stranger who doesn't want anything to do with them, if one of the bums says something to his woman, he can't take offense or he'll have to fight four or five Bankers, not just the one. People should understand this."

Quote:
The Bankers have never fought a pitched battle with the forces of law and order, but they have attacked individual cops or as many as three and four so often that police in most towns either treat them gently or confront them with as much force as possible. The outlaws don't share the middle-class respect for authority and have no reverence for "the badge." They measure a cop's authority by his power to enforce it. Some of the stories from the original Fort Worth fracas, in 2005, tell of local police being locked in their own jail by rampaging boardgamers who then "took over the town." But the only Swiss Banker now gaming who was actually present at Fort Worth discounts most of the tales that have grown up over the years. "We were just here for a convention," he explains. "As far as punching on the citizens and stuff like that, we didn't do it. Sure, we made a lot of noise, and we chased some people who started throwing meeples at us. When the cops got panicky we put a couple of them in garbage cans and stacked their bikes on top of them, that's all."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumbed your post, even though it confused the hell out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
even though it confused the hell out of me.

What confuses the hell out of me is that no one's given your question a serious answer. I figured we'd see at least one full page of fans of both games chain-whipping each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus, Caylus, CAYLUS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Imperial, so my vote goes to Imperial. Not very helpful, I know. Imperial is pretty f'ing fantastic, though, if you like heavier economic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I've only played Imperial, so my vote goes to Imperial. Not very helpful, I know. Imperial is pretty f'ing fantastic, though, if you like heavier economic games.

This is my opinion for Caylus. I heard of Imperial and that's about it. But Caylus has an especially interesting "investing in buildings" mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played both - I vote for Caylus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive my earlier outburst. I should qualify my response with disclosure that I have only played Imperial 2030 and not the original Imperial. I prefer Caylus but it would be a matter of taste.

In Lieu of Imperial, perhaps you should take a look at Antike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Both are good. Neither is the perfect game, or even close to it. If I had to choose one, it would be Imperial -- there are other worker-placement games out there, including some (forgive me, provostheads) that I like better than Caylus, but there's nothing out there quite like Imperial. But they're so different from each other that it's hard to do a fair apples-to-apples comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how answers here would help you? These games are nothing alike...

Can you tell use what heavy games you like and why? Might be able to give you better advice this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.