Subject: Representatives and action order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my last game we used representatives. I know these don't suit everyone but my group enjoyed the experience. However, I'd not actually used them since my 1st ever game, some six months previous, and I got the basic rules wrong, but with interesting results.

I wasn't sure how spies were resolved. Not wanting to stop the flow of the game I just went with a solution that seemed reasonable. Instead of resolving spies in turn order we did so simultaneously. Thus, once players had revealed their intention to send a spy, on a count of three, everyone pointed at the targeted person(s). Spies vs spies eradicated both.

While this was wrong, it was one of the highlights of the session. The looks of surprise, shock, horror(!), upon seeing the results - even on the faces of the non spy players - was very entertaining. So much so, that when I *did* check the rules and reverted to the proper way, it felt a bit flat. It also prompted a question about spy order; should spy orders be determined in advance? Or is it legal to think about hitting one guy, then switch target should someone else take him out first?

I realise my original (wrong) rules implementation changes the voting strategy but would it screw things totally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Sunmachine wrote:
It also prompted a question about spy order; should spy orders be determined in advance? Or is it legal to think about hitting one guy, then switch target should someone else take him out first?

It is legal, clearly, since there are no written orders and no-one at the table can tell what you were thinking in advance.

Quote:
I realise my original (wrong) rules implementation changes the voting strategy but would it screw things totally?

It weakens some types of Representative because of the possibility of a wasted action, where in the rules as written you can often target someone who's already revealed their own Rep secure in the knowledge that your attack will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun sounding variant! Reminds me of games like Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.