Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents of SHIELD, the new Joss Whedon Marvelverse TV series, debuts tomorrow.

In a suicidal timeslot. In a medium (broadcast TV) fighting a losing battle for continued relevance. With a massive weight of expectations that will permit nothing less than blockbuster numbers. And on a network with a quick hook.

Whether it's good or not, I don't see it getting a second season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo It's the Mighty MARVEL universe. No one ever dies. Not completely anyway. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
The pilot will get huge ratings with the Marvel background. It better be really good for people to stick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
ABC is owned by Disney, which also owns Marvel. They have a vested interest in the show being a success. I don't see them giving a quick hook to the director that pulled off the Avengers. The cross-promotional opportunities alone in using the show as a vehicle to bring more attention to the increasing volume of Marvel movies would be worth keeping it around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got a built in audience from the movie. If it is even halfway decent I think audiences will be faithful. Plus the nation of Whedon-ites will basically bow down and worship anything with his name on it. While the timeslot seems suicidal, I think it's a bold move by ABC. Why not put your biggest dog up against their biggest dog? I think it's got a real shot, and as Matthew said, I think ABC has a lot invested in this so they won't bail quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it going up against in its timeslot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:

NCIS, which I believe is still dominating the field as the most-watched network drama series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
radynski wrote:

NCIS, which I believe is still dominating the field as the most-watched network drama series.

Okay, that makes sense. I pretty much only ever watch police procedurals when they're in rerun on TNT or Spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Joss Whedon show that's not on Fox? Anything can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
radynski wrote:

I don't see it as a bold move. It's just demographics. There's probably not a lot of overlap between the audiences of the two shows. Also, NCIS is losing a major character this season, and is a little long in the tooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
If they keep the same tone as Item 47 - then I see no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Blott wrote:
radynski wrote:

I don't see it as a bold move. It's just demographics. There's probably not a lot of overlap between the audiences of the two shows. Also, NCIS is losing a major character this season, and is a little long in the tooth.

true. I've never seen ncis, but I'd assume it's something the kids aren't hollering about. My preteen son almost wet himself when I told him shield was on tomorrow.
and at 8:00 kids will be up to see it. Bring on the merchandising commercials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that there is a strong coralation between a shows lifespan, and how much I like the show. And its not a good coralation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
ABC is owned by Disney, which also owns Marvel. They have a vested interest in the show being a success. I don't see them giving a quick hook to the director that pulled off the Avengers. The cross-promotional opportunities alone in using the show as a vehicle to bring more attention to the increasing volume of Marvel movies would be worth keeping it around.

I have to agree. This isn't a normal TV series where if it bombs in six weeks they can pull the plug and few will miss it. Disney is working on a much larger plan involving this series, films, video games, a ton of T-shirts and heaven knows what else. This show in no way is going to be given the quick hook. Not that there is any chance of this getting poor ratings seeing how much promotional muscle is being put behind this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love what Whedon did with TV series. Buffy, Angel and Firefly are awesome: highly entertaining yet often with deep explorations of the human psyche. Wonderful stuff. (Though Dollhouse was meh.)

I don't really care about the Whedon movies, those are just average. Evidently he needs the length of a TV series to get going.

But, probably because of my non-US background, I think that superhero comics are just crap. Highly boring crap. And -- dare I say it? -- the Avengers movie was crap too. Sure, it had nice special effects, but the story was bland and predictable, and was filled with boring, cookie-cutter characters.

What makes Whedon's TV series strong are the characters. I fully expect Marvel and Disney putting highly limiting restrictions on what he can do with "their" characters. Which ultimately means that Whedon's talents will be wasted.

I really cannot understand why Whedon himself is such a fan of superhero comics. It probably has something to do with nostalgia.

Anyway, I am not getting my hopes up with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I fully expect Marvel and Disney putting highly limiting restrictions on what he can do with "their" characters. Which ultimately means that Whedon's talents will be wasted.

Whedon is King Shit these days and Marvel has made hay since the first Spider-Man movie by letting writers and directors mess with their characters. I'm guessing he has free reign. The problem might be that he doesn't have time to give it full attention...hopefully, he has some writer-friends who can keep up the quality/humor.

That said, my mom LOVES her some NCIS....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
shumyum wrote:
I'm guessing he has free reign.

You probably already heard this, but: Tony Stark dies in the pilot episode, accidentally crushed by Thor's Hammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Jeph Loeb didn't write any of the first three episodes so they have that going for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the episode tonight. I think it will last the season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I haven't watched broadcast TV in a long time; was there a shocking preponderance of ads for expensive cars, or am I just no longer used to the advertising landscape?

I was actually quite impressed with how well the show seemed designed to have its first scene offered separately. I watched it on the XBox, and found that having done so reinforced the arc of the show. There were some slightly goofy bits and the youth of the cast is irksome, but it seems like a show which both I can enjoy and which might well succeed. So, a unicorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Apparently it is going to be fast-tracked here (so the usual 6-month wait is cut), and yet the channel in question won't say when it will be shown, nor is it listed for any time in the next week.

Didn't bother waiting

Not bad. Some nice Whedon touches. And I generally hate most TV. We'll see how the rest goes.

As people say, it has serious money behind it, and it is going to be milked as much as possible. I can't see why it would not last as long as the movies do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Only the Eye of Agamatto could see that far into the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the Pilot was terrible, with crappy special effects, trying to hard on the dialogue, and a ton of uninteresting characters.

Kinda like most pilots. Seriously, Firefly was the only Joss show that really hit the ground running. A friend of mine has a rule about Sci Fi TV ... "All first seasons are crap."

That being said, I'll probably skip the rest of the season, keep an eye on the reviews, and wait to NetFlix it. Still, I suspect it gets picked up for another season. While I don't like it, My 10 year old seems like he'll be watching all season. And obviously, I would have killed for this stuff when I was 10. I wouldn't have noticed any problems at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
A friend of mine has a rule about Sci Fi TV ... "All first seasons are crap."

Battlestar Galactica?

Then again, a rule that says "All last seasons are crap" is probably correct (no, Firefly never had a last season).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if on-demand views on services like Hulu or Xbox video figure into the ratings. If so, that could help SHIELD's chances. But the same ads that appear on broadcast don't seem to be on Hulu, and that could be a problem (at least until TV's revenue situation clears up).

Whedon has already defied expectations somewhat by giving Agent Coulson a well-developed sense of humor. Most characters in similar roles in media are stuffed-shirts, bordering on humorless, and when they are part of a joke they find it very awkward. But Whedon doesn't do humorless. He just doesn't. Not even for naturally strait-laced characters like Captain America in the movies.

But then Agent Coulson spent much of the episode defying expectations. Some of the things he did in the pilot were completely out of left field....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.