Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I snagged Reef Encounter off eBay for $16 so i can't complain much but it has a funk. Kind of like it use to belong to a smoker then made it's way to the thrift store where it lived until someone bought it to sell on ebay. Lots of strange musky smells.

Normally I would set it outside in the sun but I don't want to lose pieces or the sprinklers accidentally get it.
What would you do with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The Surgery: Board Game Repair Tips

That excellent GeekList might be helpful.

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll go see what I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sprinkle liberally with baking soda and let it sit a few days, then dust it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I buy vintage books, they sometimes come with funky smells. I take a dryer sheet and place it in the pages somewhere to draw it out. I am sure placing one or two in a game box works the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeybunnie8 wrote:
I snagged Reef Encounter off eBay for $16 so i can't complain much but it has a funk. Kind of like it use to belong to a smoker then made it's way to the thrift store where it lived until someone bought it to sell on ebay. Lots of strange musky smells.

Normally I would set it outside in the sun but I don't want to lose pieces or the sprinklers accidentally get it.

Direct sun is bad for boardgames. Lots of warpage and bleaching of the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
honeybunnie8 wrote:

Direct sun is bad for boardgames. Lots of warpage and bleaching of the artwork.

That's what I figured. I meant if it were another type of item I would put it out in the sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spread out the game inside a plastic storage tub and cover liberally with the gray "clay" type cat litter (unscented). Seal it up and forget about it for a while. I always do 90 days, but it probably works more quickly than that. This obliterates any musty, storage or smoke odors to great effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try the baking soda first since it's what I have on hand.
If that doesn't work I'll probably try the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer baking soda is great for absorbing odours. If something in there is causing the odour though it won't remove it, it merely removes absorbed odours. The cat litter suggestion is also a good one for odours.

Some sort of dry toilet deodouriser is best if there is something causing the odour as this will eliminate most molds and bacteria, just make sure the one you choose doesn't bleach anything though (test on a small piece of coloured paper first).

As a side note, dry rice is the best I've found for removing moisture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:
When I buy vintage books, they sometimes come with funky smells. I take a dryer sheet and place it in the pages somewhere to draw it out. I am sure placing one or two in a game box works the same way.

I do this also. It takes a while, but you can put it on the shelf and forget about it, so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.