Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Berndt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I had a play through and he managed to get every Black Aliss tile. Aside from him losing a lot of points there were no additional rules regarding what happens when you run out of the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you run out of Black Aliss tiles, there are rules governing who you take them from. I've lost the link to the rules, but if I remember correctly, ignoring yourself, take them from the person who has the most Black Aliss tiles. So in a 2-player game, you're taking them from the other player, giving them a point while losing a point yourself. This is meant to throw a wrench in the cooperative game where only one player wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
When you run out of Black Aliss tiles, there are rules governing who you take them from. I've lost the link to the rules, but if I remember correctly, ignoring yourself, take them from the person who has the most Black Aliss tiles. So in a 2-player game, you're taking them from the other player, giving them a point while losing a point yourself. This is meant to throw a wrench in the cooperative game where only one player wins.

There are Cackle counters which get handed out for using magic and failing to solve problems and when those run out, you take them from the player with most unless that's you, in which case you get Black Aliss counters instead.

I can't find anything in the rules about what happens if Black Aliss counters run out. Standard options would be to use a makeshift replacement or to do nothing - the rules don't justify taking them off someone else. My instinct would be to improvise a replacement - though it seems like something would be going wrong to run out...

If you're playing the solo/co-op variant, then there is a limit to the supply of Black Aliss counters, and if they run out, you lose when you should draw one but can't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GenĂ­s Morera
Spain
Sabadell
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
Happy Year 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no official response?
sobluesoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is in the rules somewhere - I recalled reading it when I asked Martin who answered. However my copy is still in shrink., so I haven't got an exact reference to hand.

You all lose. Similarly to having too many Elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
It is in the rules somewhere - I recalled reading it when I asked Martin who answered. However my copy is still in shrink., so I haven't got an exact reference to hand.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Crisis counters or the co-operative variant?

Page 9 of the rules says:

Quote:
The game will end immediately if it is necessary to place a Crisis counter and none is available or if there are three or more Elven tiles (which includes[...]) face-up at the end of a player's turn. In both of these two cases, all players automatically lose.

Otherwise, the game will end after the last Problem tile has been placed and the active player has finished his or her turn.

On page 12, for the co-operative variant, it adds the additional rule that running out of Black Aliss counters also ends the game with everyone losing.

It also adds a rule that if, at the end of the game, there are 4 or more hard problems unsolved, everybody loses.

On the other hand, I stand by my original reaction: if you end up handing out all the Black Aliss counters (in the standard game) then you've gone wrong somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've received my game, I concur with Robert. Black Aliss is not exchanged between players (my above post was wrong). In the cooperative game, if someone is supposed to gain a Black Aliss but you're out, you all lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Crisis counters or the co-operative variant?

Page 9 of the rules says:

Quote:
The game will end immediately if it is necessary to place a Crisis counter and none is available or if there are three or more Elven tiles (which includes[...]) face-up at the end of a player's turn. In both of these two cases, all players automatically lose.

Otherwise, the game will end after the last Problem tile has been placed and the active player has finished his or her turn.

On page 12, for the co-operative variant, it adds the additional rule that running out of Black Aliss counters also ends the game with everyone losing.

It also adds a rule that if, at the end of the game, there are 4 or more hard problems unsolved, everybody loses.

On the other hand, I stand by my original reaction: if you end up handing out all the Black Aliss counters (in the standard game) then you've gone wrong somewhere...

OK. As said, I recall reading it, but only in the cooperative version is quite possible.

Agree with your last point on going wrong.

But (as I'm not opening at this the of night) what's the Elves all lose case? General rule or cooperative only?

I could therefore imagine three possibilities. Create more. You all lose (even competitively). You end the game and score. As it shouldn't happen, you can probably pick your own.

(Well, not quite. I do know of some players who were playing - I need to check the rules - that four Elves equals all lose even competitively. So having decided he, maybe not alone, wasn't going to win, he, and maybe others, just buzzed around on broomsticks revealing all the hard problems to force an all lose which he preferred to losing. Some games are not immune to their players.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
(Well, not quite. I do know of some players who were playing - I need to check the rules - that four Elves equals all lose even competitively. So having decided he, maybe not alone, wasn't going to win, he, and maybe others, just buzzed around on broomsticks revealing all the hard problems to force an all lose which he preferred to losing. Some games are not immune to their players.)

Yeah, if there are three Elvish problems face up at the end of anyone's turn, everybody loses, whether you're playing co-op or competing. You could house-rule that some people are bigger losers than others in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
toolbum wrote:
A friend and I had a play through and he managed to get every Black Aliss tile. Aside from him losing a lot of points there were no additional rules regarding what happens when you run out of the tiles.

I think in competetive variant, you should make a replacement to keep track of negative score, pretty much like running out of beggars in Agricola. The cards are so negative to gain, that the designer naively thought making 12 of them (or 5 in case of Agricola beggars) would be enough... :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Pierik
Netherlands
Utrecht / Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
I would like to reply to the general 'Black Aliss' subject here. Since I played this game two times last weekend. And in the cooperative game, when you just ignore the points if feels there is absolutely no incentive to reduce Cackle counters to prevent someone going Black Aliss.

So next time I play this game I will test these two house-rule for Black Aliss in the cooperative game:
1) If you get an Black Aliss, you have gone mad. Mad witches do fly broomsticks, but not that great. So the first rule: If you have a Black Aliss, you can only fly your broomstick 3 squares and only over the connected roads, because you need to see where you are going.
2) For each -1 on each Black Aliss tile, you get -1 penalty on solving a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Pierik
Netherlands
Utrecht / Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
Well, now that I played this game a third time. I noticed that even with these additional rules in the co-op, the 100% co-op gets a bit tedious for me.

I think it really was designed to be a competitive game, with some dependency elements added to it. So you would keep on having to make the choice to either help others and yourself (in this case you also lose a little), or just yourself. So for me, this game as a co-op is a no go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.