BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Tournaments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcelo Ferreira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a list of tournaments that will happen in essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P.
Germany
A├člar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I know of and I think it would be a short one. Pegasus and Amigo sometimes have tournaments going on. And I also remember coming across the German boardgame championships and some Catan championships.

But in general, the SPIEL is a trade show, not a gaming convention. Tournaments occupy way to many tables for too long. Most publishers won't waste their precious booth space for people who obviously already know the games :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There usually are a couple each year - over the years I've seen Munchkin, Catan, Dominion, 7 Wonders (IIRC) and even once an Agricola tournament with something like 10 players in it. Waste of time and space if you ask me as Essen is about trying out new games and shopping, not playing games during the fair's hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall an announcement somewhere that The Palaces of Carrara would have a tournament. There were at least 2 other games, but I forget what now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarceloPT wrote:
There is a list of tournaments that will happen in essen?

Carcassonne world championship finals are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, the German and European Munchkin Championship is duked out at the Pegasus booth in Essen. I also remember a Warhammer: Invasion tournament last year (or maybe the year before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed a couple of TCG's running tournaments and heard rumors about a Dominion tournament last year but that's about it.

I think there are sometimes inofficial tournaments in the evening. I think last year there was a Galaxy Trucker fan tournament. But the two biggest and most consistent tournaments are:

* Who can check out the most games?
* Who can bring home the most games?

And most attendees just aren't interested in diverting time from these two in order to compete in smaller, more traditional tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually Heidelberger (the German partner of FFG) has some LCG tournaments.

I never considered participating in one of those as there's more to see, than can ever be seen... in Essen even without spending at least a whole day playing one game I already know.

Some of the tournaments are finals of world championchips or German championchips, so you need to qualify in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the World Boardgame Championships or something like that takes place in a room upstairs. It's a team event, and you play several different games, and your team's scores are aggregated or whatever.

As said above, there are various tournaments, but invariably you must enter feeder events in order to compete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico W.
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I think the World Boardgame Championships or something like that takes place in a room upstairs. It's a team event, and you play several different games, and your team's scores are aggregated or whatever.

As said above, there are various tournaments, but invariably you must enter feeder events in order to compete.

That's the Europe Masters you're referring to. More info can be found here.

http://europemasters.eu/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there was a bang tournament last year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.