Hide
6 Posts

Legendary: Dark City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jirra of Terridia
msg tools
On specific cards (such as, Angel's "Diving Catch") it refers to a card effect. My playgroup has experienced a certain amount of confusion regarding this issue.

During a session, one of the players had attempted to discard a "Diving Catch" card as result of a Villain escaping the city with a captured bystander. After a fair amount of discussion, the group decided NOT to allow him to complete the card's effect (rescue a bystander and draw two cards) because the act of discarding the card game from a state-based rule (we all also play Magic: The Gathering, so some crossover lingo is to be expected) and not from an actual card.

Now, two questions:

1. Was our group correct in issuing this ruling?
2. Why or why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were correct, and for the reason you stated - the discard from a Bystander being carried away is not a card effect.

Devin Low, the designer, clarified this here, referencing the Dark City insert:

Insert p. b wrote:
“Card Effect”: For Diving Catch and
Unending Energy, a “card effect” is
anything written on a card. When
Bystanders are carried off by Villains, that
discard is a game rule, not a card effect,
so you can’t use Diving Catch or Unending
Energy then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually came on with a Diving Catch question of my own. Instead of posting a new thread, I'll ask here:

Diving Catch states that "When a card effect causes you to discard this card, rescue a bystander and draw two cards." However, there are two ways in which to discard a card in this game: Because a card effect tells you discard any cards that fit a particular description OR a card effect tells you to discard a card or cards that you may choose.

So, for example, if a card effect says something like "Discard all cards with a Recruit Value of 4 or less" you would HAVE to discard Diving Catch. However, if a card effect says "Discard any 3 cards from your hand" then you wouldn't necessarily have to choose Diving Catch to be one of those 3 cards, but if you do choose it, do you still get to rescue a bystander and draw two cards?

(A third possiblity would be when a when a card effect tells you to discard cards that you choose, but you only have so many cards left in your hand. So, in the above example, if you only had 3 cards in your hand, Diving Catch being one of them, and a card effect said "Discard any 3 cards from your hand," even though there's nothing in there specifying the characteristics of Diving Catch, you would HAVE to discard it, whichi would activate it's power to rescue a bystander and draw 2 cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
I actually came on with a Diving Catch question of my own. Instead of posting a new thread, I'll ask here:

Diving Catch states that "When a card effect causes you to discard this card, rescue a bystander and draw two cards." However, there are two ways in which to discard a card in this game: Because a card effect tells you discard any cards that fit a particular description OR a card effect tells you to discard a card or cards that you may choose.

So, for example, if a card effect says something like "Discard all cards with a Recruit Value of 4 or less" you would HAVE to discard Diving Catch. However, if a card effect says "Discard any 3 cards from your hand" then you wouldn't necessarily have to choose Diving Catch to be one of those 3 cards, but if you do choose it, do you still get to rescue a bystander and draw two cards?

(A third possiblity would be when a when a card effect tells you to discard cards that you choose, but you only have so many cards left in your hand. So, in the above example, if you only had 3 cards in your hand, Diving Catch being one of them, and a card effect said "Discard any 3 cards from your hand," even though there's nothing in there specifying the characteristics of Diving Catch, you would HAVE to discard it, whichi would activate it's power to rescue a bystander and draw 2 cards)

Yep. Still applies. The discard, whether forced or not, was caused by a card effect.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Sorry to kept asking, but I have another clarification question: A card effect can be from a hero card as well as a villain/Mastermind/Master Strike/Scheme Twist card, correct? So can you combo High-Speed Chase (Discard a card and draw two cards) with Diving Catch to draw a total of four new cards that turn?

The reason I keep asking is because I'm running a small Legendary game group and I need to be prepared for whatever rules/clarification questions they ask me. I'm kind of stickler for technicalities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. It only excludes game rules that force you to discard, like letting a Bystander getting carried away - if it is written on a card, it is a card effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.