Terry R
msg tools
Hello,

Okay, maybe I am overthinking this, but I am a little confused about what "from the box" means when you win a scenario like Brigandoom!- which states that each victorious character draws a random item "from the box."

During the scenario some items are banished - meaning that they are placed back in the box - so obviously they would be in the box after you win. However, what about closed locations that still contain item cards - i.e., you defeat a henchman at a location (which does not contain the villain) and then fulfill the "When Closing" condition for the location. Do those remaining items go back into "the box" after you win the scenario - making them subject to possibly being drawn?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closed locations also go back into the box.
Basically everything not in a location and not part of a players deck. In later adventures (Hook Mountain) you will start removing cards from the game; these are no longer available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the game breaks the 4th wall a little bit with that text. I keep my cards in their slots facing me, so in the situation of taking a random card "from the box", I take one from the back of the respective pile, and when I have to return a card to the box I put it in the front facing me, so the back cards are always random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, when you banish a card to the box, it's supposed to get shuffled back into the set of cards that it came from, unless it's a henchman or villain, which doesn't matter on order since you select specific ones.

So when you banish an item from your hand, it's supposed to be shuffled into the appropriate section, not just placed on the front or back. The same goes with monsters and potions, etc. While this does make for easy repeats sometimes, it also keeps them randomized for those instances where you do gain a random reward, such as random items from a chest barrier, etc.

If you want to skip that with a tiny houserule, then feel free to place cards at the front or back, but when you have to draw randomly from the box, make sure to shuffle first, so the cards you've been putting on the front or back are lost in the cards and available for coming up, instead of just drawing the from the other end without shuffling (which would mean you definitely won't get the cards you've been placing back into the box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I think the OP is basically asking an end-of-game timing question:

When you beat a scenario, do you pack all the cards that were at locations back in the box before you get your reward? (some locations may not be permanently closed when the game ends, so not everything ends up back in the box before the end of the game)

The rules don't seem to be explicit on this, but we played it that everything at the locations got put back in the box and shuffled before we drew our random reward cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Steerpike - we play it the same way as you do. Tidy everything away from the remaining location decks then take any rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Anderson
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Funny, I have been playing the opposite, the rewards come before I have cleared away the locations, and definitely before I have reduced my deck down to my "carriable" loot of 15 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.