Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got some good games winging their way to you-- perfect time to save your money for Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Friday out of the running? That would hold you over until Mage Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None. Get Gears of War.

But whatever you do, don't get Thunderstone! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Mage Knight is by far the richest solo experience I've found in a game. Takes some time to learn, but once you do the rules are very intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
AKRepublic wrote:
The polls show 50% going for; save money and buy a bigger game. Now that could lead to another poll. Games in question:

Mage Knight, Arkham Horror, Gears Of War, Robinson Crusoe, D-Day at omaha beach, Darkest Knight, Labyrinth;The war on terror, Level 7, etc etc etc.

The most support i have had is for Mage Knight. I like the look of it, so i am leaning that way. However if anyone wants to trade any of the above for Dominion Big Box (English) or Trains, feel free to contact me.

Commenting a little bit on Labyrinth:

- It is a great game if you enjoy the theme (modern war on terrorism). If you aren't interested in the theme, geopolitics, etc then stay away from it

- It is a good solo experience (not excellent but good IMO) but you can also play it through PBEM (Vassal, etc). I play it through PBEM using Vassal, 2 moves per day, and I keep the physical board always updated just next to the laptop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there already are 3 games on the way, it's probably a good choice to wait and see which one you like and what you miss in your growing collection.

You already got 2 card games, so maybe you would want to go for something bigger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Scott
United States
California
flag msg tools
I voted Pandemic because I believe it's a game everyone should own if they like coop or playing solo.

As for Arkham Horror, it's my favorite game but I suggest staying away from it right now and get Elder Signs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AKRepublic wrote:
I know i want a good deck building game. I have Friday coming soon, so will see if that fulfills that need.

I like deckbuilding and I like Friday - but Friday can't really satisfy my thirst for deckbuilding. It's a nice little game, but in my opinion, it's far away from giving you a feel of building a deck like Dominion does.

So Thunderstone (Advanced) is very high on my wishlist and is probably going to be my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I wanted to add to my last post:
If you don't like randomness and uncontrollable things - stay away from Arkham Horror! It would torture you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
None. Get Gears of War.

But whatever, you do, don't get Thunderstone. yuk

Don't get Thunderstone, get Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin.....and play with the 4-4-4 setup and the wilderness side when you play solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save the money for Mage Knight Board Game or Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or save some money and get Castaways aka Castaways.

Castaways is the solo game I am playing, ATM, and it is WONDERFUL, and it is also quite inexpensive (compared to MK and RC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When considering more expensive "solo" games like MK, etc., remember that they are not so much solo games as games that can be played solo. That is to say, often the solo experience of these games is palpably "meh" compared to the multi-play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AKRepublic wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
thedacker wrote:
None. Get Gears of War.

But whatever, you do, don't get Thunderstone. yuk

Don't get Thunderstone, get Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin.....and play with the 4-4-4 setup and the wilderness side when you play solo...

Isnt that an expansion? Would rather buy the base game first then see if i want an expansion. If its a stand alone game, will be interested.

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin is DEFINITELY a stand alone game. It's basically the Thunderstone 2.0 base set, with refined rules and suggestions on how to avoid the "dungeon" clog especially when your characters are at a low level. Best of all it comes with a 2 sided map.

It already has 2 expansions. The first is Thunderstone Advance: Caverns of Bane which adds more monsters and heroes, and the second is the more interesting Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption, which adds a paper map add-on which is used for the excellent cooperative siege mode rules, which makes the game truly cooperative for 3-5 players as they try to fend of a siege. There is also a useful FAQ in the rulebook to clarify a few things in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago, my friend bought Pandemic and Death Angel, and he has been very happy with both of those. That combo might do you well if you play a lot of solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
When considering more expensive "solo" games like MK, etc., remember that they are not so much solo games as games that can be played solo. That is to say, often the solo experience of these games is palpably "meh" compared to the multi-play.

Except that many say MK is best played solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:

Is that your experience of Mage Knight in particular? I'm surprised! I think it's amazing solo, though multiplayer is fun too, once everybody knows how to play.

The only aspect of MK solo that feels like it was 'tacked on' to expand a game that was designed multiplayer is the dummy player, but even that isn't *bad*, just slightly clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.