Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing through my first game and had an interesting situation on timing. I searched but couldn't find this on the forums so here goes...

On my first turn I attempt to build the shovel, I have no inventions built yet. I roll the dice and get a success and an adventure card which is Broken Tool. Resolving in the "recommended order" would mean I build the shovel and it breaks?

This seems right but I am hung up on two things stated in the rules:
1. All actions happen simultaneously. This means I couldn't attempt to build something that required the shovel in the same turn I built the shovel, so does that mean it can't break in the same turn I build it?

2. That very odd use of the phrase "it is recommended that you resolve dice rolls in this order". Does that mean I can choose to resolve them in a different order? I don't understand why it say recommended to resolve in this order unless its optional.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
someone will probably have a more accurate response..

but, successfully built items go into the future resources section and only move down into the item display once all actions are resolved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - I believe that answers it. If anyone disagrees please say so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
I see two ways to solve this :

a) the shovel is built and then is broken and reverts to its invention side
b) you consider the shovel as not yet built, and you are in the "unfulfilled demand" case : every character loses one wound because there is no object to break.

As the "recommanded order" is meant to help resolve this kind of conflicts, I'd go with possibility a) : first, you succeed and build a shovel. Then you apply the adventure card's effect, and destroy it.

About simultaneity : Forget about it It confuses a lot of players and makes the rules harder to understand and follow. For me, it just means that you can't use the results of an action to fulfill the prerequisites of another action in the same round. But the actions are resolved in a given order (for mechanical purposes), and some effects apply immediately. For instance, if you build your first level of roof and then have an adventure that forces you to lose a level of roof, you lose a roof, not a wound for unfulfilled demand, I think.
Of course I may be wrong - but it solves a lot of issues if you consider it that way. I just apply what the rules describe from page 8 onward without asking myself if it is simultaneous or not.
The rules say "although Actions are resolved in a certain order, you should always imagine that they are all done simultaneously". Stressed by me. Simultaneity is just a way to help player understand why they can't immeditately use their acquired ressources/built tools, not a "meta rule" you must follow.

About the recommanded order of dice resolutions : as hinted above, I think the purpose is to give a resolution order in case of conflicts between the results of each dice. In most cases its not important, but it is helpful in your case, or if the adventure cards heals you but the dice wounds you - and you have only one wound left before dying or losing morale...

But, again, I am sure many will disagree with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislav Zabret
Slovenia
Kamnik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSoundOfTrees wrote:

As the "recommanded order" is meant to help resolve this kind of conflicts, I'd go with possibility a) : first, you succeed and build a shovel. Then you apply the adventure card's effect, and destroy it.

The rules say "although Actions are resolved in a certain order, you should always imagine that they are all done simultaneously". Stressed by me. Simultaneity is just a way to help player understand why they can't immeditately use their acquired ressources/built tools, not a "meta rule" you must follow.

You contradict yourself here.
At beginning you say, you can use the thing you just built, and on the end you say you can't as it sais so in the rules.

I would agree with last sentence, so it means that you can not break the shovel and must take wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. B. M.
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar question. In Round 1, I built a Shovel. In Round 2, I dug a Pit. It is still in the 'Future' box, so I don't have it yet, and it is still Invention side up, not item side up.
I got a Broken Tools Adventure card, and my only complete Item was my Shovel, so it gets turned from Item to Invention side.

Now, where does that leave my Pit? It was suscessfully built in the Building Action Phase; but before it could be put back as an Item, one of it's prerequeisites is no longer available.

I suppose, thematically, I couold say that as they finished digging the Pit, the Shovel broke and needs tp be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deltabob wrote:
Now, where does that leave my Pit? It was suscessfully built in the Building Action Phase; but before it could be put back as an Item, one of it's prerequeisites is no longer available.
Requirements are only ever checked when planning your actions. While resolving your actions, there isn't anything that could invalidate your choices retroactively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.