Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason this evening, I just want to trash everything I've learned since I was 16 years old and go back to playing wargames that glorify the only tangible, incontrovertible, unarguable, heavy-metal aspects of modern combat--HARDWARE! Especially ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY hardware!

Forget leadership. Forget logistics. Forget morale. You can forget even combined arms and asymmetrical ploys. Because it's all about pitting strength against technical strength in a totally cool confrontational conflict, baby!

What are your favorite games that do this? If you immediately think BattleTech, you've got the right idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, one of my favorites dates back many years and perfectly reflects the fascination of the Japanese with all things purely technical. Yup. "Girls Und Panzer" would find this game quite aligned with the theme of the show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one to come to mind was this:

I first played this in Army officer basic with a couple of other LT's, and I remember really enjoying the whole gun vs. armor comparison and all of the various charts, and all of the different tank and AT information. It really was a kind of dry and straightforward weapons study, without bothering with all of the 'leadership and morale' crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Games with hardware?

Mousetrap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Harpoon 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hederer
Switzerland
Wollerau
Schwyz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the newest S&T which surely has to be a wet dream for a techno-junkie: Fail Safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Williams
United States
Middle River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MBT (First Edition) and it's cousin IDF (Israeli Defense Force) are great for Cold War Era hardware v. Hardware. Includes some combined arms elements, but you certainly could go with a straight up Abrams v. T80 slug- (get it? Sabot = slug? ) -fest.

Big +1 for the Harpoon 4 suggestion. Doesn't get any better than that for hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Panzer series from GMT and their ancestors. Nothing like knowing you have an 88' that can pen and frag anything they have :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
danjay1 wrote:
The Panzer series from GMT and their ancestors. Nothing like knowing you have an 88' that can pen and frag anything they have :-)

The perfect example.

Just avoid getting into a debate with the designer about the thickness of turret armor on a Pzkw IV-H...

Anyway, with that game you have some detailed weapon stats and a rules/game system that is hardware centric.

Naval Miniatures, World War 1 and 2 - oh my, very hardware centric for some. Most players just want to fight and pick the best Battleships to do it with.

Take a look at Seekrieg 5, a hardware centrist's wet dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another one. It's a game less about purely tactical innovation and more about the "toys" (e.g., tanks and aircraft). Those a treated in loving detail compared to the infantry rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
The first one to come to mind was this:

I first played this in Army officer basic with a couple of other LT's, and I remember really enjoying the whole gun vs. armor comparison and all of the various charts, and all of the different tank and AT information. It really was a kind of dry and straightforward weapons study, without bothering with all of the 'leadership and morale' crap!

Yup, this was the game that got me started on all that stuff. Couldn't get enough of it. Battles seemed so much like mathematical contests more than a conflict of wills and friction....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
Forget leadership. Forget logistics. Forget morale. You can forget even combined arms and asymmetrical ploys. Because it's all about pitting strength against technical strength in a totally cool confrontational conflict, baby!

This is what got me into the World at War Series. Solos well too, but I wanted to use missile launchers and helicopters and it's the only system that does in a real-world setting.

PS- Battletech rules and is probably the game I've been searching for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
berto
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechwar 2,panzer battle,seekrieg 4&5,command at sea series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
For some reason this evening, I just want to trash everything I've learned since I was 16 years old and go back to playing wargames that glorify the only tangible, incontrovertible, unarguable, heavy-metal aspects of modern combat--HARDWARE! Especially ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY hardware!

What are your favorite games that do this? If you immediately think BattleTech, you've got the right idea!

Police? Yes, this is an emergency. Eric is off his meds and he's going TECHNO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare

Mustangs

Seekrieg (Fourth Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the detailed Air Combat wargames are very hardware-centric:

Birds of Prey: Air Combat in the Jet Age
Whistling Death, part of Fighting Wings
Air Superiority
The Speed of Heat, etc

Another BIG +1 for Harpoon 4 and the Admiral's Trilogy
SEEKRIEG 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb

Gammarauders

It's only about the hardware!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Aardvarkius wrote:

Gammarauders

And popcorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Aardvarkius wrote:

Gammarauders

And popcorn.

And looking away from the board to avoid that your eyes may start to bleed. Graphic design has come a long way since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
calandale wrote:
Aardvarkius wrote:

Gammarauders

And popcorn.

And looking away from the board to avoid that your eyes may start to bleed. Graphic design has come a long way since...

But Bioborg technology has only gone downhill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How come you guys coming up without mentioning Star Fleet Battles? Nothing more hardware centric than keep rolling thirty two dices on the table to find where to hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
How come you guys coming up without mentioning Star Fleet Battles? Nothing more hardware centric than keep rolling thirty two dices on the table to find where to hit!

Or Starfire, Traveller's space combat, and Striker, all of which
allow you to actually design the hardware!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:

Or Starfire, Traveller's space combat, and Striker, all of which
allow you to actually design the hardware!

You never designed SFB ships? For shame! We used a metric ton of graph paper in high school making custom Trek ships and new alien races. Who needs design rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.