semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game tonight with my wife and used a literal reading of each phase in the two player variation. In doing so, we didn't do any trades. The 2-player rules suggest using the standard rules aside from the variations listed, but the phases don't mention trading at all. Does anyone know if the 4 phases of the 2-player variation assume trading at some point? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no trading in the 2 player rules. IMO Bohnanza isn't really worth playing 2P, you really need 3 or more to havea good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree; the 2P rules included with Bohnanza seem like an afterthought. There are a lot of better games for two out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any trading. It becomes a quick (15-20 min.) game of hand managment, and it's great. If you're expecting the high interaction of multi-player Bohnanza, you'll be disappointed, but if not it's a bunch of fun.

Here's a reworded version of the two-player variant, in case there are any points you still aren't clear on:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/104360

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play this 2-player with my 6-year-old, using the normal (not "2-player") rules. (He gets 5 fields, I get 3.) Apparently it's a pretty good game if you're six, ha ha.

We only tried the "2-player" rules once or twice, and the business about getting to pick up matching discards seemed broken to me (and ever since then, the boy wants to pick up matching discards--I wish we'd never tried those rules).

(Hey, rootbeer, I don't think that "reworded version" link is the one you meant.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys. We had a pretty good time playing. Probably not on par with all of the great reviews, but I'm sure that was a combination of the 2-player rules and our first time through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Thanks for the tip, kuhrusty. The proper link is:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/98726

I don't think I'd call the matching discards "broken." Sure, it's a mechanic that can lead to some lucky events, but it can be controlled, card-counted, and planned for, since you control what hits the discard pile. I think it adds an appropriate amount of excitement and uncertainty, with an acceptable level of randomness for a game of this weight and length.

Our 2p games last just over 15 minutes. In my experience, there are very few 2p games that pack in this much fun and can reliably be expected to finish in under 20 minutes (including setup/breakdown time!). So it fills a good niche.

Jason,

Keep in mind that all those rave reviews were almost certainly for the >2-player version of Bohnanza. Two-player Bohnanza really is a different game, using a couple of the same mechanics. And the truth is that I'm in a *very* small minority in liking the 2p rules. So if you don't, there's nothing wrong with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
I don't think I'd call the matching discards "broken." Sure, it's a mechanic that can lead to some lucky events, but it can be controlled, card-counted, and planned for, since you control what hits the discard pile.

Well, we may have been playing it incorrectly (we were trading, too), but the pattern seemed to be, if you harvested a field (dropping a whole string of beans on the discard pile), and your opponent was lucky enough to get any of the same kind of bean in their 3-card-draw, then they'd plant everything you'd just harvested (less the cards you kept as gold), and then harvest it themselves for as much, or almost as much, gold. (And there's also the fact that we only tried it that way once or twice; it may be that those rules grow on you.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodjh wrote:
I played my first game tonight with my wife and used a literal reading of each phase in the two player variation. In doing so, we didn't do any trades. The 2-player rules suggest using the standard rules aside from the variations listed, but the phases don't mention trading at all. Does anyone know if the 4 phases of the 2-player variation assume trading at some point? Thanks in advance!

What serves as "trading" in the 2-player game is the part where you get to use the discards left by your evil foe. He leaves the discards he couldn't use as "trade offers" to you. If you want them, plant them; if not, discard them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well, we may have been playing it incorrectly (we were trading, too), but the pattern seemed to be, if you harvested a field (dropping a whole string of beans on the discard pile), and your opponent was lucky enough to get any of the same kind of bean in their 3-card-draw, then they'd plant everything you'd just harvested (less the cards you kept as gold), and then harvest it themselves for as much, or almost as much, gold. (And there's also the fact that we only tried it that way once or twice; it may be that those rules grow on you.)

My wife and I had this problem the first time we tried the 2-player version of the game. The keys to avoiding this are your discards. First comes the step where the active player is allowed to discard something from his hand. If your opponent just did a big harvest in a type of bean that you can't use, try discarding something from your hand to cover up the 8 coffee beans he just harvested. That should keep him from being able to harvest them again simply because of a few lucky card draws.

Next comes your turn to draw three cards. Let's say you draw three cards, use one of them, and then do a big harvest. You've still got two bean types laying out there that you can't really use, but you don't want to leave the 6 Blue Beans you just harvested sitting on top of the discard pile. There are too many Blue Beans still left in the deck, and you don't want your opponent to draw one and then drag the 6 cards out of the discard pile that you just put in there.

So what you do is try like hell to use one of the two bean types laying in the center of the table, even if they don't particularly help you that much. It's easy to do if your big Blue Bean harvest left you with just two single-card bean fields going. Harvest one of them for nothing just so you can cover that discard pile! Even though such a move doesn't particularly help your income, it won't hurt it, either, and it will prevent your foe from being able to quickly replant the Blue Beans you just tossed into the discard pile. He could still get lucky and dig them out again, but it'll be a lot harder for him to do than if you simply leave 6 Blue Bean cards sitting right on top of the discard pile.

Although Bohnanza for 2 is very different from a game with a larger group, my wife and I have found that it's a heck of a lot of fun as a 2-player card game. I'd recommend that you give it a few more tries before giving up on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.