joseph beauchamp
Canada
flag msg tools
I am playing my second campaign as the overlord with 4 players I have one player who when playing takes it personal when I am attack his character and get aggressive towards me. And I have another player who likes to tell all the other players how to play there character. I was wondering is there a rule that says each player can dictate what the other player can do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Sounds like your group isn't much fun.

Tell Mr. Sore Pants that if he'd like you to not attack him he's welcome to hang back and decline to participate (or as below, pick on him the most). As for the bossy one, you kinda have to leave speaking up to the people being bossed. As OL, make them pay for following his orders, then point out what happened. "If you hadn't searched there, I couldn't have played this trap on you," etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there other people around that you could game with or is this your regular group? Does the other player get upset/annoyed when receiving the assumed unwanted advice?

Solutions:

You could drop the two annoying people and keep the remaining two and have each control two characters.

You could maybe just tell the unwanted advisor that he should let the advisee try to make his own decisions, or let the advisee know that he doesn't have to listen to the advisor.

I honestly think you should intentionally pummel the crybaby dude who gets upset when you attack him. Seriously what is he 12, what adult acts like that over a game. Keep hitting him hard and often and maybe he will cry and quit. You don't need that shit.

These games are fun, you don't need people taking the fun out it. It's your time and probably money, that you spent. Don't let others bring down your good time. I said before on another thread, sometimes you gotta drop people until you get a tight group that works well.

As for a rule, I don't think in the game one exists, but you can always house rule something to suit your needs.

Good luck man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously ... a player who regularly get's upset and aggressive when a game isn't going their way should just be trimmed from the group ... I'd give them one final warning (maybe not even that if it's been occurring often enough already) ... and if they don't pull their head in, set them free. Having them around is likely no fun for anyone there.

The remaining players should tell the 'controller' that each of them enjoy controlling their own characters, and that they are happy to hear his 'advice' on what he deems as their optimal play, but it's really down to them to decide exactly what their hero does on their turn. Sure it may be frustrating for him to see his fellow heroes making what he deems as suboptimal plays ... but he's just got to have to suck it up. If it's all too much for him, I'm sure the remainder of the group would be quite happy for him to follow Mr aggro out the door ... not to return. And your remaining players could then play 2 heroes a piece; I'm sure it would be a much happier gaming environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joseph beauchamp
Canada
flag msg tools
They don't complain during the session but the new guy told me he does not know what he is doing so lets the others dictate what the best out come to min max. Another question I was doing the quest death on a wing and I had aplayer move himself into a position wher two ssides where bolder and the other where the edge of the map. He ended his turn there. Does that mean i wwould have won the encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeTheITGuy wrote:
Another question I was doing the quest death on a wing and I had aplayer move himself into a position wher two ssides where bolder and the other where the edge of the map. He ended his turn there. Does that mean i wwould have won the encounter

If all adjacent spaces had boulders or figures, then yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macrian the Heretic

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another option might be to let the other players take turns as overlord. That would keep the annoying guy from telling everyone what to do, and let the angry one see that you have to target people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macrian wrote:
Another option might be to let the other players take turns as overlord. That would keep the annoying guy from telling everyone what to do, and let the angry one see that you have to target people.

I fully support Macrian idea, taking turn with OL will put them in the place of other and give them a bit reflexivity over themselves.

I would also privilege talking with them of their "personality" more that react to it in the game ("make him cry" will not let him less aggressive... Only comfort him in the idea that it IS a conflict between you and him)

Don't be afraid to talk with them individually or as a whole group. Maybe there just overwhelm by the game and don't see that they are ruining the fun.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Are there other people around that you could game with or is this your regular group? Does the other player get upset/annoyed when receiving the assumed unwanted advice?

Solutions:

You could drop the two annoying people and keep the remaining two and have each control two characters.

You could maybe just tell the unwanted advisor that he should let the advisee try to make his own decisions, or let the advisee know that he doesn't have to listen to the advisor.

I honestly think you should intentionally pummel the crybaby dude who gets upset when you attack him. Seriously what is he 12, what adult acts like that over a game. Keep hitting him hard and often and maybe he will cry and quit. You don't need that shit.

These games are fun, you don't need people taking the fun out it. It's your time and probably money, that you spent. Don't let others bring down your good time. I said before on another thread, sometimes you gotta drop people until you get a tight group that works well.

As for a rule, I don't think in the game one exists, but you can always house rule something to suit your needs.

Good luck man!

The very best no bulls**t advice on how to deal with a couple of problem players I have read to date . Awesome advice!

Edit:

Seriously, it sounds no fun, as has been pointed out , you have invested a lot of time and no doubt money and effort to provide this gaming experience for these people.
Mr Aggressive needs to take a huge swig from the cup of grow the f**k up, if not "trim" the juvenile t*at from the group ( as suggested above).
The Alpha male player definitely needs to wind his neck in and maybe HE would be best suited to overlord so all he can boss is himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Andersson Franke
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have players in my group that fit into that descripition.

They aren't involved in every game but one player is very "try hard" to win and will try everything to do it and if he isn't winning he blames the game/dice/other players untill he wins again.

If a player get's pissed because your monsters are hitting him explain that he is a hero and monsters will attack heroes and if he don't want to be attacked then run and hide, if he dosen't change maybe this kind of a game isn't for him.

One of our players aren't so good at picking up and understand games so he often don't have any good idea what's the best/worst way to play so whenever it's a teamgame his team mates often dictates what he should do and if he is alone he often loses, but he dosen't really mind he just want to sit down for a few hours and roll some dice and talk some bullshit.

The only problem I can see with a "controll players" is if he actually forces other players to do what he wants them to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War (coop game) has a nice system to avoid such a problem : the players may not show their cards to the other ones.

Perhaps, if each hero player kept his hero, class and gear cards hidden, it would prevent another hero player try to manage them?
Of course, the OL should have access to those cards.

Otherwise, the problem cannot be technically solved.
It rather is a psychological, group dynamics thing.
What is annoying, is that finding gaming partners is not always that easy, so one is shy about setting rules and limits.

Perhaps, next time, a "sportmanship chart" could be agreed upon before starting to play, with recommendations such as :

- If you loose or win, be a gentleman: don't whine, don't boast
- Respect your partners : insults and displaced behaviour are not allowed.
- When cooperating with other players, don't give them orders and accept when they don't follow your idea
- The aim of a game is fun. While trying to win, don't make that objective intoxicate your relationships with other players

etc.

Of course, such things are granted for most educated, civilised people... But one knows that, unfortunately, sad exceptions exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a house rule I thought of but never tried during our Version 1 Descent campaigns. This was due to a player who was the alpha gamer in the group and always adding his "helpful suggestions" during the other players' turns.

At the start of the heroes' turn, they have a 5(?) minute planning session to plan what they want to do that round, set objectives, etc. However, once the first player starts his turn, no more group discussion of actions. Each player makes all of the decisions for their hero with no extra input from the other players.

I thought this would encourage each hero to make decisions because the heroes that went later in the round would have to deal with results of the other heroes' turns that went before them.

I'm not sure how this would work, but I think it would be interesting to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are starting a new Labyrinth of Ruin campaign in November and we are going to be using this sort of table-rule. Whomever is the "active" player, they are the only one allowed to describe actions. Other players are forbidden from saying "It might be better if you did THIS which would allow me to do THAT on my turn." The exceptions are, of course, interrupting abilities and other actions that get played out of turn, which change the "active" player to the interrupting player and then they have the floor.

I think it will make the game go faster. Our last campaign took around 20-30 minutes per turn because of all of the strategic planning that went on during the Hero turns. It ended up taking over a year and around 15 sessions to get through The Shadow Rune campaign. By the time it finished we were all pretty tired of the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, there also has to be an exception on "decide who the active player is", as there is no set order of turns. If you take away they ability to choose order then you'll weaken heroes too much.

I would say give them 2 minutes of strategic planing on the start of the turn, and use hourglass to count it. If they don't say who goes first within 2 minutes then OL decides. Then after each hero turn they have another 1 minute of free communication, which has to mainly decide who goes next. There is no 1 minute for free communication before final hero for the turn is about to move.

This gives heroes in 4 hero game 5 minutes of discussion total, which should keep turn length acceptable while not weakening heroes. And probably after some time you won't need to keep track of time anyway, when they'll get used to fast decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Have you listened to our YouTube Podcast "Die Nische" yet? :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree here. You are the boss. Tell them how to behave and that no one is having fun when playing that way.

When your alpha-gamer does not understand that - play without him.

And for the aggressive one: Tell him to grow up. Seriously. It is a game and it is about having fun. With EACH OTHER!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.