Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just draw an Orders card from the deck and stick it in my Vault for my Merchant action if my Stockpile is empty?

Basilica, a similar structure allowing you to add an additional material from your hand to the your Vault when performing a Merchant action says specifically that you can use it even if your Stockpile is empty. Atrium doesn't seem to specify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text of the Atrium card in the I.V edition seems pretty clear: you may use a card from the deck. (But you can't look at the card you drew before putting it in your vault.) I see no reason why you would need something in your stockpile in order to use Atrium's power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought too. I was just puzzled that Basilica mentions that you can regardless and that Atrium does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for Basilica mentions the Stockpile, because Basilica lets you move a card from your hand in addition to any card you play from your Stockpile.

They mention that you don't need a card in your Stockpile - you can still do the additional action from your hand.

Atrium lets you take card from the deck instead of from your Stockpile. There's less reason to assume (incorrectly) that you'd need a card in your Stockpile because, with Atrium, you can't use your Stockpile. With Basilica, you can use your Stockpile and your hand - hence the rules mention that you can use your had even if your Stockpile is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
There's less reason to assume (incorrectly) that you'd need a card in your Stockpile because, with Atrium, you can't use your Stockpile.

With an Atrium, you can use your Stockpile if you do a normal Merchant action instead of the Atrium-altered Merchant action. So, unlike with the cards that say "In Addition", you have to choose either/or for your Merchant action.

Just to be pedantic, if you have an Atrium and a Basilica both, then for each Merchant role you execute you choose one of the following options:
a) move one card from your Stockpile and one card from your Hand to your Vault (Basilica in addition to basic Merchant action).
b) move one card from the deck and one card from your Hand to your Vault (Basilica in addition to Atrium-altered Merchant action).
c) move one card from the deck to your Vault (Atrium-altered Merchant action, but forgoing your Basilica).
d) move one card from your Stockpile to your Vault (basic Merchant action, but forgoing your Basilica).
e) move one card from your Hand to your Vault (using Basilica but forgoing the basic Merchant action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.