Thunderstone: Starter Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leveling up and utilizing different hero types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David db
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
So my son (11) and I had our first session with this last night. We've never played any other versions of Thunderstone. If you don't have this it has an abbreviated rule book which is not nearly as detailed as ToR.

Now this doesn't come with any XP tokens, we got that. I guess what we are missing and isn't really detailed in the book is how leveling up works.

We see we can get XP points from defeating monsters in the dungeon and now we get how the shard cards give XP as well during the spoils phase (which I really don't get as it seems kind of random to earn XP just because this card is in your hand when you defeat a monster). The ToR instructions talk about "paying XP". Do you accumulate these tokens and then pay them back into some central pile as you level up heroes?

Secondly there's some vague mentioning of using different hero types in the dungeon. Can you not use 2 different heroes together to battle a monster in the dungeon.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Leveling up and utilizing different heero types
I don't have time to give you an exhaustive answer, but real quick:

You gain XP (which can be any marker...pennies, etc) when you kill a monster. The XP you gain is listed on the card. As you mention, Thunderstone shards can grant you +1 XP if present with you in the dungeon (in your hand).

When you visit the Village, one of the actions you can take is to level up any number of heroes in your hand. You pay the XP cost that is listed on the card. If I recall correctly, it's in the same position, and is the same icon, as the monsters.

A Regular, which is level 0 can upgrade to any level 1 hero that is present in the village. Level 1 heroes level up to level 2, etc. The same type and appropriate level of hero must be present in the village, but you can grab the correct card from anywhere in the pile. When you purchase heroes, you only get to purchase whatever card is on top.

You can upgrade as many heroes as you have present in your hand, as you XP tokens allow. You cannot upgrade a hero more than once in one turn; when you level up a hero, the old card is removed from the game, and the new higher-level card goes in your discard.

Hope that helps!

Edit: and yes, think of the XP tokens as being part of a pool. That pool is technically unlimited. Grab what you earn out of the pool. Pay back to the pool to level up heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David db
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. We had the level up process right but there was no mention of how to keep track or any limits to the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe there is intended to be a limit on the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsb012 wrote:
Thanks. We had the level up process right but there was no mention of how to keep track or any limits to the tokens.

And just to expand, you level up after you do your village actions and make your purchase. You cannot level up a hero you just bought that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.