Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the supposition that Hippies are Liberals (in US sense) and liberals like government regulations, this could be down right ironic:

VW van to go out of production due to new safety regulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in Brazil.

...but soon no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see hippies standing for government regulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the whole point of Hippies were they they were anti-government and anti-authoritarianism, indeed they seem to be libertarians (which is the real irony).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I thought the whole point of Hippies were they they were anti-government and anti-authoritarianism, indeed they seem to be libertarians (which is the real irony).

Anti-authoritarianism used to be synonymous with Liberal in this country. Those were the days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:

I don't see hippies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
It has the same cross-section as an airplane wing. Of course safety regulations are a problem for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Asur wrote:

I don't see hippies

Using the wrong sense. Close your eyes. You'll have an easier time finding them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Hippies were the original tea partiers. The radical leftist form were called Yippies.

They were an astroturf 'movement' fertilized by billionaires? Well, back then millionaires I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Hippies were the original tea partiers. The radical leftist form were called Yippies.
So the lefties were the fun version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
It has the same cross-section as an airplane wing. Of course safety regulations are a problem for it.

The iconic shape of a VW Bus, in cross section, is a rectangle.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you do not actually understand what a VW Bus is.

Otherwise, as a physicist, how is it that you do not understand basic geometry and continue on in your daily life spouting off meaningless bullshit to others who might actually believe what you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
49xjohn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you do not actually understand what a VW Bus is.

Otherwise, as a physicist, how is it that you do not understand basic geometry and continue on in your daily life spouting off meaningless bullshit to others who might actually believe what you say?

Whoa, easy there--he was just spouting meaningless bullshit for fun. Your job is still safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Oops I read "bug" not "bus".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
whac3 wrote:

No way, you're not taking that crap from him. (For one thing, you would've had to have read "bug" instead of "van," which doesn't make any sense.)

So, first, post a totally unretouched photograph proving that a VW bus does have the same cross-section as a wing:

And if he wants more, come back with a similarly totally unretouched photograph showing a close-up of the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground, since he's obviously having trouble distinguishing between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
whac3 wrote:

No way, you're not taking that crap from him. (For one thing, you would've had to have read "bug" instead of "van," which doesn't make any sense.)

So, first, post a totally unretouched photograph proving that a VW bus does have the same cross-section as a wing:

And if he wants more, come back with a similarly totally unretouched photograph showing a close-up of the difference between his ass and a hole in the ground, since he's obviously having trouble distinguishing between the two.

Kuhrusty;

At times, I can barely see the computer screen. The substitution of one three letter word for another unrelated one to form a phrase I'm more familiar with VW bug vs. VW van is not really a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Moshe's defense, I had been thinking bus at first when I wrote the OP, so perhaps there was some psychic residue there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
In Moshe's defense, I had been thinking bus at first when I wrote the OP, so perhaps there was some psychic residue there...
Always thought they wer called VW Camper Vans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Camper Van Beethoven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
So the lefties were the fun version?

You tell me.

Well I have a coupe of Vietnam games that are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
Always thought they wer called VW Camper Vans.

That's the pop-top version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Oh fuck, I didn't know it was International Make-Up-Stupid-Bullshit-About-Cultural-Movements day!

The Founding Fathers were the original Mainstream Democrats. The reactionary rightist form were called Buttknuckle Asschargers.

(In case knowledge-seeking kids are reading this: Hippies and Yippies were not opposite ends of a political spectrum, Drew just made that up. If you would like to know more about the Yippies, please read "Steal This Book" by Youth International Party co-founder Abbie Hoffman.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as an original 'hippie' I have very fond memories of practicing free love and getting high on all sorts of unusual herbs and chemicals in many a different VW Microbus.

Went to the 68 Democratic convention in Chicago in one. Ran from the cops while the overpowering stench of tear gas filtered throughout the city. Slept in a crowded one all the way to Woodstock and back. (don't remember too much of the trip back. devil) Yeah real good memories.

Probably wouldn't do it now, but don't regret for a minute any of it.
cool

As for what we stood for in those days, it would be hard to say. Many were just looking for the next party and the next high. Many truly wanted social change. Many really thought we were going to make a difference.

America would benefit greatly if the true hippie culture would rise again. As I look at the political wreckage of America today I truly believe that none of the 'aware' hippies I knew would support either political party. As stated earlier the Libertarians are the closest to what we believed in those days.

When it comes right down to it hippies really did make changes in our social fabric. But those changes are so subtle and took so long that it would be hard for those who were not there to see it.

Hippies were good for America. And man do I miss that microbus. Makes me wonder, where is Donna today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Okay, I am a fan of early Volkswagen vehicles, especially applied to their fan base of auto mechanics in the early 1970's in America. I am having a hard time letting this go.

We have established that Moshe had a typo moment on his response, and perhaps is legally blind. We know that his comments DO NOT APPLY to the design of the VW Bus.

What I want to know is this: Which VW vehicle design was Moshe referring to?

The Beetle? The Rabbit? The Thing?

You know where I am going with this. In America, we were promised decades ago that in the future, we would have The Flying Car.

Own up Moshe, what do you know about The Flying Car? Will it be delivered this year or next year? Which properties of Physics makes it work? How fast does it go, and how high can it fly?

Does it work only in America? Can it fly over Ohio, Wisconsin, and Idaho? What about Kentucky? If it were to fly in Texas, would it pay the same rental car tolls that everyone else pays a month later after having enjoyed their time in Dallas or Houston?

Come clean, Moshe. Which of the VW vehicles is the Flying Car?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Okay, I am a fan of early Volkswagen vehicles, especially applied to their fan base of auto mechanics in the early 1970's in America. I am having a hard time letting this go.

We have established that Moshe had a typo moment on his response, and perhaps is legally blind. We know that his comments DO NOT APPLY to the design of the VW Bus.

What I want to know is this: Which VW vehicle design was Moshe referring to?

The Beetle? The Rabbit? The Thing?

You know where I am going with this. In America, we were promised decades ago that in the future, we would have The Flying Car.

Own up Moshe, what do you know about The Flying Car? Will it be delivered this year or next year? Which properties of Physics makes it work? How fast does it go, and how high can it fly?

Does it work only in America? Can it fly over Ohio, Wisconsin, and Idaho? What about Kentucky? If it were to fly in Texas, would it pay the same rental car tolls that everyone else pays a month later after having enjoyed their time in Dallas or Houston?

Come clean, Moshe. Which of the VW vehicles is the Flying Car?

The VW Bug or Beetle which was taken off the market for a few years due to its tendency to flip over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, this is a disappointment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.