Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now just as a cautionary note - I am incredibly unfamiliar with math trades and not entirely sure how they work.

That being said, has there ever been a manitoba math trade or is there one coming up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about running one from time to time but I'm not sure there would be enough interest to make it worth while. The Canadian Math Trades show up about 4 or 5 times a year and that seems to fill the gap pretty well.

If there was interest we could always give a Manitoba Math Trade a go. Possibly no ship but that tends to exclude the folks out in the rural areas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
Canada
Athabasca
Alberta
flag msg tools
WIN OR LOSE I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN!
badge
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mbmbmbmbmb
I love math trades. I hope Manitoba, Winnipeg has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure I'd have something at my dad's or brother's in Winnipeg that I'd put up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many winnipegers/maniotbans, approximately, would we have on BGG? And how many people do you need to really make a math trade worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driptorch
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How 'bout a JimCon no-ship math trade?
Maybe we could get input from
Jim Buchanan
msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
Canada
Athabasca
Alberta
flag msg tools
WIN OR LOSE I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN!
badge
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have 10 people and it can be a successful math trade. You just never know. One persons old game could be someone dream addition to their collection. Mix that in with some Gift Card for local game stores and you can get some interesting trades to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimCon? Intriguing, what is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driptorch
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamrubocop wrote:
JimCon? Intriguing, what is this?

JimCon is a Winnipeg based table-top gaming convention: http://jimcon.ca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, if a once-a-year convention isn't convenient, you could always do the trade at one of the Winnipeg Board Game Club events. Third Saturday of every month, no admission, check the Facebook group. We'd happily promote (and even help run if somebody needs assistance) such a trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be down. I don't know if I have much to trade, but there's a lot I want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of traders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Buchanan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

JimCon would be more than happy to host a Math-trade on Sunday. We would be able to set aside a panel room for you. We would be able to schedule you for one slot (2.5 hours) where people would be able to bring their stuff.

Send me a email (jim@jimcon.ca) with more information and we can iron out all the finer details.

Game On!
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested as well, either at JimCon or the monthly meeting. Though I'm more likely to be at the monthly meeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon reviewing this thread, it seems that it started with one person asking if there was a math trade coming up, a bunch of people saying they'd be interested in participating, and two people saying they were willing to host it.

Unfortunately, in case nobody has noticed, nobody has committed to actually running one yet.

How are these things calculated? Is there some publicly available software that organizers use? While I understand the concept, I don't quite know the algorithm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my knowledge is limited on math trades as well, and my availabilty on showing up to a particular event is also somewhat limited as i live outside of winnipeg. That being said, I would definitely be interested if someone who knew what they were doing would start one up and help walk us or maybe just this noob through it. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Google search trade maximizer will bring up results on bgg. There is one result that i clicked which was the first one with the snippets they show you, it has a partial web address. I clicked on that one, then clicked the http address in one of the posts and got the help page on trade maximizer. I am not sure about this but i do believe that people will have to make their want and giveaway lists here on bgg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
syliconslycer wrote:
Google search trade maximizer will bring up results on bgg. There is one result that i clicked which was the first one with the snippets they show you, it has a partial web address. I clicked on that one, then clicked the http address in one of the posts and got the help page on trade maximizer. I am not sure about this but i do believe that people will have to make their want and giveaway lists here on bgg

All of the threads I read on running math trades stress that it is a time-intensive operation for whomever is running it. That said, I talked with Ian this evening and we are willing to look into setting it up, with the exchange to take place at a future Winnipeg Board Game Club event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris W
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also in. keep us posted where things are at, smoo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Upon reviewing this thread, it seems that it started with one person asking if there was a math trade coming up, a bunch of people saying they'd be interested in participating, and two people saying they were willing to host it.

Unfortunately, in case nobody has noticed, nobody has committed to actually running one yet.

How are these things calculated? Is there some publicly available software that organizers use? While I understand the concept, I don't quite know the algorithm.

You would probably need more than 10 or 11 people to have a successful Math Trade, and as I look back at this thread that's what I'm seeing. That's the bottom line. I would expect about a 10 or 15% trade success rate with so few people...making it not worth the effort.

If sufficient interest is shown I'll throw one together. It might come out a little rough around the edges but I'd do it.

Here is an excellent start to understanding Math Trades. They talk about the OLWLG. Good place to start.

Math Trades 101

And here is another one
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG]

And lastly one for the organizers out there
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG_For_Organizers#
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadsunwheel wrote:
I'd be in on this

We need to see more posts like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested as well, if someone posts a start, interested parties can show interest and sign up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the members of the Winnipeg Board Game Club facebook group has volunteered to be the point man on this. I have offered assistance if needed. Looks like this will be happening at some point. Cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soodo Nim
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
count me in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.