Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Hollern
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When are dug in Japanese units flipped to their face up side during combat? Section 16.2 says that, "The attack and all particpating US units must be declared prior to resolving the bombardment." The rules don't say anything about when the Japanese are exposed during combat, either with or without bombardment.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering that too.

The way I've been playing is, I declare all my attacks, assign my bombardments, then at the moment of attack resolution I reveal the Japanese unit because you need the defense number to get the differential.

So last possible moment I guess. It makes you hope you have enough strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Hollern
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. That is way that I played my first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Severn
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't seem realistic to flip the Jap units over before you declare who is attacking and whom...

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roberts
msg tools
mb
When are they not dug in? If you're attacking the unit for the 1st time I assume they're dug in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalojoe wrote:
When are they not dug in? If you're attacking the unit for the 1st time I assume they're dug in.

The way I am playing is that the chit gets flipped to dtermine defense, as noted above, then after combat I flip it back to dug in status.

Banzai attack is only time the Japanese leave their dug in status.

Makes sense thematically I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:

The other factor to note is that the position of a Japanese unit allows it to reinforce nearby positions. This can repopulate cleared sectors.

I believe you are in error here.
Once a sector is cleared, no more Japanese units can be redeployed in that sector.
Rule 18.0, last sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:

Even the first unit attacked will be unknown if it survives because DRIP swaps it with someone else unknown from zone '1' per rules 20.3 and 20.4.

Actually, DRIP results in swapping the original unit with one in the cup. If no units are in the cup, then you randomly decide which sector to swap the units from.
Read 20.3 a little more closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Whyte
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree clearing sectors (which reduces the chances of Jap redeployment and replacement) is important, and it also improves the chance of Banzai attacks. You want to have US units in every remaining sector, so as many Japs as possible will Banzai against them. Banzai attacks are rarely dangerous, and can remove more Jap units with fewer casualties than frontal US assaults. The downside is, US units in uncleared sectors suffer worse Jap bombardment if the Japs have any units on hills on that sector.
Balancing these factors is the key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.