Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say that Lem and Valeros are at the same location. Lem draws a goblin and attacks with a weapon. Can Valeros use a long sword in his hand to attack as well? This would be in addition to Valeros's D4 power bonus. Please point to the rules if you can.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

For more details carefully read the text on the weapon card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, check the faq or other questions threads! This question has been asked about 1.6 trillion times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
often wrote:
Also, check the faq or other questions threads! This question has been asked about 1.6 trillion times.

Come on, be a little more helpful. The other threads are not easy to search. The community is a better place if we're a little more gracious to players who are still trying to get in to the game.

More specifically, most weapons cards start with "For your combat check..." That means that the character owning a weapon can only use it on a combat check for a bane that they as an individual character have drawn. So even though your two characters are in the same location, the encounter "belongs" to the character whose turn it is and who drew it, not to both characters as a group. So only the person who drew it can use a weapon if that weapon refers to "your" check. Some weapons like crossbows let you use them on other character's encounters if I recall correctly, but then the card will say "an encounter" and may also say "at your location." Check for those words on any card you are considering adding to a check and it should help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chris F. Do you know if Paizo has addressed that in an official FAQ? I read over one set of FAQs and could not find anything. But maybe there are more, although I could not find any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good question. I'm not sure if the definition of "your check" is something that has been written down anywhere in the rules or FAQ, although it has been commonly accepted in many other threads that "your" refers to the individual whose turn it is, not to the group at a location. It may be that the designer has clarified it, but to be honest, I'm not sure if there's a clarification put down in print somewhere. Hopefully someone else knows where that got clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bertrandt
msg tools
Hi Scott,

Chris' point is a biggie. This is an easy distinction to accidentally overlook. "Your check" or "your location" is very important to continually catch.

This distinction also affects how some spells can be cast by other game players during your check (to aid your turn). Just remember that a blessing can always be played by an ally to aid your check.

As you focus in on some of these turns, paying close attention to this text will start to feel a little more natural. I honestly am starting to make it a point re-read the cards several times just to make sure I'm not glazing over anything.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With as much confusion as this has caused, it seems worthy of an official FAQ. People sort of piece together an interpretation and the consensus could very well be right, but I am not sure. Contrary to the consensus interpretation, it would seem thematic to allow multiple characters in the same location to fight a monster together. It would also give an additional incentive for sticking together, a common theme in RPGs (never split the party). I expect that the consensus is right, though, and will play that way until I hear otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to need to throw thematic common sense out the window for the game. It is, after all, a card game and not an RPG. Otherwise you'll end up getting confused with Harsk aiding someone in the forest from the dungeons, or with a dagger being used with a two handed greatsword, or why detect magic won't let you encounter a chest that might have magic items in it but can find a prayer to the gods floating in the air.

Also, when you get a party of 6 people, it's almost always better to completely split the party, for the sake of being able to temporarily close locations should the villain be found. Otherwise, the scenario would almost always be a loss if you have bad luck, having to close 7 locations fully and permanently, one after another, until you finally defeat the villain in the last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
You're going to need to throw thematic common sense out the window for the game. It is, after all, a card game and not an RPG. Otherwise you'll end up getting confused with Harsk aiding someone in the forest from the dungeons, or with a dagger being used with a two handed greatsword, or why detect magic won't let you encounter a chest that might have magic items in it but can find a prayer to the gods floating in the air.

Also, when you get a party of 6 people, it's almost always better to completely split the party, for the sake of being able to temporarily close locations should the villain be found. Otherwise, the scenario would almost always be a loss if you have bad luck, having to close 7 locations fully and permanently, one after another, until you finally defeat the villain in the last one.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but you do need to read the rules and cards carefully and understand the difference between "a check" and "your check"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the trend keep going the FAQ will be more or less the equivalent of an english dictionnary.

They have to define what a "dice" is, what "yours" is, what a verb is...

I dont think that the cards are so badly written.. except for the ones that ARE and dont work (looking at you Giant Hermit Crab). But they started interpreting them in their official answer and ask people to use common sense to add "implied you" to some cards.

This was their downfall as now everyone is interpreting every card use their common sense... wich cause countless question as there no such thing as "common" sense, everyone have his own interpretation wich is perfectly justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
If the trend keep going the FAQ will be more or less the equivalent of an english dictionnary.

They have to define what a "dice" is, what "yours" is, what a verb is...

I dont think that the cards are so badly written.. except for the ones that ARE and dont work (looking at you Giant Hermit Crab). But they started interpreting them in their official answer and ask people to use common sense to add "implied you" to some cards.

This was their downfall as now everyone is interpreting every card use their common sense... wich cause countless question as there no such thing as "common" sense, everyone have his own interpretation wich is perfectly justified.

There's nothing wrong with the Giant Hermit Crab. I think you just forgot that each power can only be used once per check!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that this is each CHARACTER power. Monster cards have no power and no such limitation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the monster's rulebook it has a similar section to the players' one, saying once per check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Clifford
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason there is 'confusion' with the Hermit Crab is because people are either being obtuse or just not willing to use common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.