Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules appear to require that a nation's discovery ship must physically travel to one of the New World areas to establish a trading post there. However, this also appears to give a huge advantage to the "southern nations" while making it impractical for northern nations like Thessalonike and Larissa to establish trading posts in the New World before E-ships become available to take advantage of them.

Am I misunderstanding how New World trading posts are established, or is there indeed a problem here? The example of play on the top of page 8 indicates that a discovery ship always begins its move in the hex in which it ended its previous move, and I see no mention of an exception for the New World areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The discovery ship must visit one of those spots to establish a trading post, but I'm not sure why you think it's impractical to get it there from one of the northern nations.

I suppose if people are REALLY pushing the ships and you don't realize how fast the E-ships will come out, you might get caught with your discovery ship in the wrong place, but that's not going to happen in most games. Usually there will be plenty of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
All nations are not created equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Admittedly we don't have a great amount of experience with the game: a few two-player "learning" games followed by a couple 4-player games. In most cases, the game has ended for us before E-ships became available. The observation came up after a recent two-player game in which E-ships became available near the end of ER 9. Only one company had the funds to purchase one, which didn't happen anyway because the player decided his other two companies could not recover from the loss of their 4-ships (with no hope of acquiring E-ships) so close to game end.

So the New World access issue was merely a post-game "observation", which is why I used the word "appears" in my original post. In our games, the northern countries (Thessalonike and Larissa) normally expand from west to east, with their discovery ships working toward the high-value towns in the northeast corner of the map. Since at a speed of three it takes three ERs to move the discovery ship to a New World area from anywhere in the top two rows, it appears those nations would have to give up the goal of those northeast towns to get to a New World area in time to make them worthwhile.

Perhaps I've answered my own question, in that those lucrative northeast towns may make more money for the northern countries anyway than a New World trading post would. Also, though we weren't consciously "pushing the ships", E-ships seemed to become available quickly (at least for us) during this game, possibly because three ships are removed from the deck before a two-player game begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't played two-player so the pacing may be different there. But yes, having a lot of trading posts in the northeast is good and might well be just as good as getting to Kypros, especially since getting to them can be done without the expense of buying an E-ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I haven't played two-player so the pacing may be different there. But yes, having a lot of trading posts in the northeast is good and might well be just as good as getting to Kypros, especially since getting to them can be done without the expense of buying an E-ship.

Thanks for helping me think through this issue, and for confirming that the conclusion I came to is likely correct, or is at least a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.